(MD question) Headphone jack (MZ-N707) vs. Line-Out (MZ-N1)
Nov 12, 2002 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Alccode

New Head-Fier
I would like to ask if there is a significant difference in sound quality between the headphone jack on the Sony MZ-N707 versus a line-out on something like the MZ-N1.

I'm asking because I will be recording mixes onto MD (portably!), which I would then transfer onto a computer to burn onto CD. This issue of line-out vs. headphone jack is pretty much the deciding factor between N707 vs. N1. Keep in mind that I'm on a limited budget too, so factor that into the equation as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

If the quality difference isn't very noticeable, then I'll settle on the N707.

Thanks for any suggestions/help. (Note that I'm not considering any Sharps etc. because the availability is scarce here in Canada)

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 26
I don't think too many people will have both a 707 and an N1 thus the lack of replies.

I have a 707 and I think the sound is pretty reasonable.

I'll hook it up to my Little and let you know what I think compared to my home deck MDS-JE470 plugged into the Little. Though not the comparison you want, it may give you some insight as to how good the 707 headphone out into a headphone amp is, which is what I think you want to know.

Nov 16, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
I don't think too many people will have both a 707 and an N1 thus the lack of replies.

I have a 707 and I think the sound is pretty reasonable.

I'll hook it up to my Little and let you know what I think compared to my home deck MDS-JE470 plugged into the Little. Though not the comparison you want, it may give you some insight as to how good the 707 headphone out into a headphone amp is, which is what I think you want to know.

Thank you so much! That would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to your response.

"Extensive testing" is unnecessary, just a quick assessment in your opinion would make me very grateful.

What I actually need it for is to record mixes from the MD onto a computer for burning onto a CD. As I do this often, hence the need for a portable MD recorder.

Nov 16, 2002 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 26
I leave in 2 hours for an out of town trip, but I'll be back in a couple of days and give you my impressions then.

Given what you want to do, I would suggest if your budget allows it, to find a home deck with a digital out and get a sound card with a S/P DIF connection. That would give you the best sound, but it will certainly be more expensive than what you propose to do.

Nov 18, 2002 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Watchdog
Given what you want to do, I would suggest if your budget allows it, to find a home deck with a digital out and get a sound card with a S/P DIF connection. That would give you the best sound, but it will certainly be more expensive than what you propose to do. [/B]

It would also defeat the entire purpose of a portable MD - the thing is that it's not a good idea for me to haul the computer from one floor to another just to record mixes (the two sets of equipment are on separate floors). I need a recording solution to be present at all times. Sorry that I didn't clear that up before.

Nov 18, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #6 of 26
This is interesting to me too...How does the head-out on md's compare to the line-out? (on new models, not the mz-r50 etc.).

-And is there any point in using an amp with a newer sharp portable without a line-out?

-AND (now I'm rambling) what current portable MD's has a line-out (shared ok)?

Thinking about getting the Sharp MD-MT200...

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Alccode
... I will be recording mixes onto MD (portably!), which I would then transfer onto a computer to burn onto CD.

You'd better check this out--I do not believe you can upload (transfer) recordings from a NetMD recorder to a computer.

You might want to check out the non-NetMD Sony's, like the R909 or R900, which do not have this restriction.

Nov 19, 2002 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 26
balcar,

Unfortunately, all MD recorders that are currently distributed "officially" by Sony in the USA are NetMD models. But you don't have to use the NetMD software or its accompanying USB link - you can use the so-called NetMD recorders like the "non-NetMD" ones (transferring from the MD to the PC in real time, through whatever soundcard that you have in your PC). The sound quality of such transfers will vary by the soundcard used (*coughCreativecough*) - and keep in mind that you DO lose some sound quality anyway due to the D/A/D conversion, because there are NO portable MD recorders currently in production that has a direct digital audio output (current portable MD players send an analog signal - converted from digital by an often mediocre DAC - to the soundcard, where it gets further bastardized by the usually crappy A/D converters found on consumer soundcards).

Nov 19, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #9 of 26
NetMD's one way. PC---->MD at a sort-of-okay speed. And with nasty software, too. Don't forget it's LP2 at best (even if you select the SP mode).

Vote +1 for an MT200 if you can find it..

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 26
Ok...what recorders have line-out, either seperate or menu selectible?

Sony 909 has it, but what about the 910?
Sharp MT180 has a shared, what about the mt200

-and what others?

btw...If any one have the time...please explain to me the difference in sound on pana, sharp and sony, and the noise level. I would be most gratefull!

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #12 of 26
Alccode, get one with a line out. There are many people over at the minidisc t-forum that complain of not being able to use the N707 headphone out with their home stereos. Mine works fine with my stereo, except there is a fair amount of hiss when connected to my stereo amp of a headphone amp.

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #13 of 26
The Sharps use a "combined" line out - also coined a "headphone fudge" line out.
It is reportedly much better than the recent Sony line outs, however, and is a bit more powerful, 250mV compaired to 194mV. People who have owned Sony units and had problems with the line levels have had no troubles after they used Sharps.

Dec 9, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 26
Sorry for the long delay in responding, I have a lame excuse but since it's lame I won't share it
wink.gif

Anyhow I hooked up the my MZ-N707 to my Little Headphone amp and it sounds quite good. I was surprised at how good it was.

I then took the output of my Sony MDS-JE470 Home deck and fed it into the Little for a comparison.

I would say the biggest difference between the two is the output voltage on the home deck is far higher. It seemed as though the portable didn't have enough juice to drive the Little to as loud as the home unit. Mind you it played fairly loud from the portable and the home deck plays loud enough that I think it would damage your hearing if listened that loud for an extended period of time.

There is a difference in sound quality. I would say the difference is significant but the sound quality from the portable into the headphone amp is decent.

Just a wild guess but I would think the sound from the lineout of the Sony MZ-N1 would be closer to the MZ-N707 than to the lineout of the MDS-JE470.

FWIW I have a Nomad II as well and it can switch between lineout and headphone out and I notice no difference in sound quality when I switch between the two modes.

The thing that surprised me a little was I have a Linn Classik and I compared the headphone amp in that to the Little and the Little creamed it. I figured Linn might give it a good headphone section, but it's not that good.

Dec 9, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Alccode
I would like to ask if there is a significant difference in sound quality between the headphone jack on the Sony MZ-N707 versus a line-out on something like the MZ-N1.

I'm asking because I will be recording mixes onto MD (portably!), which I would then transfer onto a computer to burn onto CD. This issue of line-out vs. headphone jack is pretty much the deciding factor between N707 vs. N1. Keep in mind that I'm on a limited budget too, so factor that into the equation as well.
smily_headphones1.gif

If the quality difference isn't very noticeable, then I'll settle on the N707.

Thanks for any suggestions/help. (Note that I'm not considering any Sharps etc. because the availability is scarce here in Canada)

I don't know what your budget is, but I noticed that Minidisco is now carrying a new Sony home model. It's the Sony MDS-JE780 and it has optical out and NetMD. Sounds like it would be an awesome MD unit to hook up to your computer.

It's almost $500 US so it's not cheap.

I would love to get one, but at that price I have to think twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back