MD is NOT dead! New MZ-RH1 is here!
Mar 24, 2006 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Capital R

500+ Head-Fier
Mar 24, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 26
Thanks for the heads-up.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 26
Would this mean that the older models will get cheaper?
eek.gif
I think I would be pretty satisfied with a RH10.
icon10.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 26
Look at the battery capability on it. No external battery power or anything,,just a built-in one. I wonder what the battery life on it will be,,and the sound quality. Hmmm......Altho it has a Line out now,,and the 10 doesnt. Damn decisions.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 26
is it normal for the lineout and headphone out to be the same jack? it seems that way to me from the pictures...

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 26
Since the days of the MZ-R50, the answer is yes. The RH1 seems to be what most of us MD enthusiasts have been waiting for and SonicStage 3.4 seems to be a great software platform to work from - we will be able to upload older SP recordings making this unit a backwards-compatible killer machine!

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 26
I have one remaining SP-recorded disc from my MD days. It is of a television concert first recorded on my Hi-Fi VHS recorder & then output to the MD via the VCR's RCA-outs (analog obviously). Still with me so far?

Anyway, I'd like to convert this to PCM and burnt to a standard CD. Any takers?

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 26
this makes me glad i didn't bite on the first 2 generations (2 and a half i guess) of HiMD - this thing looks gorgeous from both an aesthetic and feature perspective - I'll prolly pick one up eventually, cheaper than the edirol gadget (which i don't terribly like) and hella cheaper and more functional than the m-audio unit that gets maaaad hatred. For general listening of tunes though... MD has lost me, I'll be getting a flash based mp3 player in the near future.

yay MD, you went out with a bang!

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 26
I've switched to MP3 twice now, but i keep finding myself drawn back to my minidisc players and all those little discs. MP3 players are very convenient, but i just find myself enjoying my music more with MD. I haven't bought any of the Hi-MD units yet, but i think this might be the first. It's really a beautiful design and the ability to upload all my old SP discs is a great bonus.

I do think it's funny that people have been declaring the minidisc dead pretty much since i first bought a minidisc recorder back in 1998. Not being popular isn't *quite* the same as being dead
tongue.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 26
Minidisc was made more for recording then listening. I owned 1 MD unit (MZN-707) which broke. I liked it because it has nice sound and it was really small. This was at the time when flash players wern't in the market yet, and flash memory was super expensive. Now that the memory is dropping in price on a weekly basis, I don't see myself buying any MD units now.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 26
I've been an MD fan for years. I only recently, about a year, switched over to HD based MP3 players. I'm glad to see a quality flagship coming back to the market.

I don't know that I'll jump back on to the MD bandwagon, but I do still use my MZ-R50 for concert recording. And to all the critics in the group, yes, I know it's not lossless, but it's damn good!!!!

On a personal note, I'd love to seem MD make a comeback, and really take over the market. I know it's not going to happen, but it really is an undermarketed technolgy that is widely misunderstood. I think the misunderstanding and versatility of it, that has caused it to not catch on really.

Long Live MD!
-Jeff

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #14 of 26
Ok guys, a newby type question. Why should I get one? I have never used an MD, always CD's or iPod.

Is it because of sound quality? It does not seem to be because of capacity? Please help me understand, thanks.

Mar 25, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 26
mrarroyo, MDs strength has always been live recording ,battery life, gapless, separate media (only limited to what you can carry) and skip protection. Its weaknesses have been Sonic Stage software, Propriety ATRAC format, DRM in that you couldn't get live recordins on to your computer, slow recording if you don't use a computer and storage size (having to carry a bunch of discs). Like most things in audio, sound quality is subjective. Some claim MP3 is better, others claim ATRAC is better. I see this new model as a reward for those who have stuck with the format, rather than attracting new users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back