McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Dec 2, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #616 of 1,139
Very interesting question.
The TC should be one of the few with too high power requirements for the MHA200
That’s what I want to know. Although, I’ll be using some easier to drive headphones with it as well when I get my unit.

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #617 of 1,139
Noob question here... Are you not supposed to leave your tube amps on? I listen to mine daily and typically leave them along with the DAC always on...
Every tube has a lifespan, it's best to turn them off after listening.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #618 of 1,139
How does the TC’s sound on the MHA200?

I found the TC bass to be markedly reduced and thinner compared to the TT2 and Formula S, but the rest of the FR was pretty good actually. The TC mids get a nice boost compared to those same amps. I tried the first two impedance range settings with similar results. Honestly didn't give it a lot of time, so maybe I'll go back and do a volume matched A/B test. I am guessing there's just not as much current coming out of this amp

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #619 of 1,139
I will be using HD800
I think you're going to like what you hear if you decide to try them together. The multiple impedance settings make it pretty versatile if using multiple cans. At this price range, it's competing with Feliks Euforia and ZMF pendant SE. It's just a no-go situation with hard to drive planars

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #620 of 1,139
Noob question here... Are you not supposed to leave your tube amps on? I listen to mine daily and typically leave them along with the DAC always on...
Actually the MHA200 turns to stanby automaticaly if no input signal for 30 min, so difficult to keep it always on.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #622 of 1,139
Actually the MHA200 turns to stanby automaticaly if no input signal for 30 min, so difficult to keep it always on.
That auto-standby feature can be turned off by holding down the power button until the indicator blinks.

Dec 6, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #625 of 1,139
So...it's true that the amp sounds best when fully warmed up, I find it sounds best after about 30 min. But to save the tubes, which will burn out like a light bulb over time, you should probably turn it off when done listening...unless you want to go through tubes fast!

Dec 18, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #627 of 1,139
Who can spot the anomaly on this picture?

red_plate_v4.jpg

In the wake of an earlier post on this thread the unit went to McIntosh repair immediately through my favourite hi-fi shop. Thanks to them I was still able to enjoy an MHA200 in a form of a temporary replacement unit during the waiting. Now it is back, all good, one tube had to be replaced.

First newbe question: One tube? Are they not supposed to be matching pairs?

Second thoughts: I am completely new to tube amps. If this is a common issue with possible heavy consequesces, should it not be described in the manual with some illustrations? Are there safety circuits in the MHA200 that could avoid the heavy consequences in case the red plate tube goes off when it is not recognised in advance? (Sorry for the dusty picture, the mash was removed first time after two months of ownership)

red_plate_v4_only.jpg

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #628 of 1,139
Who can spot the anomaly on this picture?

In the wake of an earlier post on this thread the unit went to McIntosh repair immediately through my favourite hi-fi shop. Thanks to them I was still able to enjoy an MHA200 in a form of a temporary replacement unit during the waiting. Now it is back, all good, one tube had to be replaced.

First newbe question: One tube? Are they not supposed to be matching pairs?

Second thoughts: I am completely new to tube amps. If this is a common issue with possible heavy consequesces, should it not be described in the manual with some illustrations? Are there safety circuits in the MHA200 that could avoid the heavy consequences in case the red plate tube goes off when it is not recognised in advance? (Sorry for the dusty picture, the mash was removed first time after two months of ownership)

Had a similar experience and McIntosh did their best through my dealer... I believe McIntosh is having trouble getting reliable power tubes as most of the problematic tube posts in this thread are the 12BH7s. I suggest just enjoy the amp as is but maybe lay in a spare set of non McIntosh 12BH7 in case you get red plates again... They are easy to change out. Several users have posted good alternatives in this thread. I went with Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 Gold in matched sets. Tubes are imperfect but worth the effort to get right.

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #629 of 1,139
Had a similar experience and McIntosh did their best through my dealer... I believe McIntosh is having trouble getting reliable power tubes as most of the problematic tube posts in this thread are the 12BH7s. I suggest just enjoy the amp as is but maybe lay in a spare set of non McIntosh 12BH7 in case you get red plates again... They are easy to change out. Several users have posted good alternatives in this thread. I went with Electro-Harmonix 12BH7 Gold in matched sets. Tubes are imperfect but worth the effort to get right.
Had the same issue here but it developed a few weeks after getting the amp. Dealer sent the tubes back to Mc and offered me a credit to offset buying the EH Gold tubes.

FWIW, Mc claimed they couldn't find an issue with the tubes, but the EH Golds have been great going on 4.5 months now.

Dec 19, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #630 of 1,139
Had the same issue here but it developed a few weeks after getting the amp. Dealer sent the tubes back to Mc and offered me a credit to offset buying the EH Gold tubes.

FWIW, Mc claimed they couldn't find an issue with the tubes, but the EH Golds have been great going on 4.5 months now.

McIntosh almost never disputes a tube issue during the 90 day tube warranty

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back