McIntosh MHA200 Impressions
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #542 of 1,139
Mine is about 10ft away from router and doesn't not suffer from rfi. I am using xlr input cable However at the store, when i was trying out the amp, it had connected audioquest rca cable and I heard a severe interference when my phone was placed about a feet away from it.

Nov 6, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #543 of 1,139
Hello, since a month or 2 I am following a few threads here on head-fi, and this one too, because I’m interested in buying the MHA 200.
My million dollar(😜) newbie question is: I have a Marantz SA 12 SE cd-player and a Meze Empyrean only at this point, if I add the MHA 200 will the sound improve a lot?
And in what way?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #544 of 1,139
Hello, since a month or 2 I am following a few threads here on head-fi, and this one too, because I’m interested in buying the MHA 200.
My million dollar(😜) newbie question is: I have a Marantz SA 12 SE cd-player and a Meze Empyrean only at this point, if I add the MHA 200 will the sound improve a lot?
And in what way?
Yeah the MHA200 has enough juice to power the Empyreans. It's the most solid state sounding tube amp I've heard, so pairing it with an inherently warm headphone might actually give you a neutral presentation. Changing the tubes also altered the sound quite a bit, got alot more soundstage adding some NOS RCA 12AT7's.

Nov 6, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #545 of 1,139
And in what way?
It will improve beyond your wildest expectations,, in every way.
Use the volume control on CD player and leave the volume on mha200 at 12 and never touch it.

Nov 6, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #547 of 1,139
Yeah the MHA200 has enough juice to power the Empyreans. It's the most solid state sounding tube amp I've heard, so pairing it with an inherently warm headphone might actually give you a neutral presentation. Changing the tubes also altered the sound quite a bit, got alot more soundstage adding some NOS RCA 12AT7's.
Thanks for the info 👍🏼

Nov 6, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #548 of 1,139
And in what way?
I demoed the amp w empyrean. They sounded very good with the amp.

Nov 6, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #549 of 1,139
And in what way?
For a month or so I do own the MHA200 and listen to the Empyrean, enjoying every minute. What is very different from my previous experience is the silkyness of the sound, especially the vocals and strings.

Nov 9, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #551 of 1,139
For a month or so I do own the MHA200 and listen to the Empyrean, enjoying every minute. What is very different from my previous experience is the silkyness of the sound, especially the vocals and strings.
I’m also using Empyreans with the MHA200 (32 ohm impedance setting) fed by a Dave DAC, using the Dave’s variable output (MHA200 volume control at 12) - balanced in and out. MHA200 with the Empyreans is a combination I can definitely recommend: vibrant, colourful and smooth.

I replaced the supplied valves with NOS Cryo Mullard CV4024s and Electro-Harmonix Gold 12BH7s. The former took a while to burn in but now sound glorious.

Nov 9, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #552 of 1,139
Please educate me. What's the general effect of upgrading 12BH7s? I had considered rolling these tubes.

I'm aware the effects vary depending on tube, but are there generalizations that can be made -- smoothness, resolution, dimensionality, etc?

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #554 of 1,139
I'm running the Focal Utopia from the MHA200 and it runs dead quiet, most of the time. But sometimes I hear a hum. I'm assuming it's power system noise but can it be the 200?
Most likely the tubes.
Quite normal on most tube amps

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #555 of 1,139
Yeah, the noise was coming from my sylvania tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back