McIntosh MA230 Amplifier.
Nov 12, 2002 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Andrew LB

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone here know about this home audio intergrated solid state/tube amp? I have an opportunity to pick up a mint condition one for $650. I've seen it for sale online for double.

Here are some specs:

Quote:

ELECTRICAL: Stereo. Hybrid (solid state preamp and tube power amplifier). 30w/ch stereo, 60w mono. Response 20-20kHz (+0 -0.5dB). Distortion 0.5%. Noise and hum -75dB high level, -60dB low level . Output impedance 4, 8 and 16 ohms. Damping factor 10. Input sensitivity and impedance: high level 0.25V at 250k, phono 1.5mV at 47k, tape head 1.5mV at 1 meg. Tape output 0.25V into 25k. L+R output 10V into 5k. Dual concentric tone controls +18dB to -18dB. LF filter 50Hz at 12dB/oct. HF filter 5k at 12dB/oct.

FRONT PANEL: Glass panel at top. Anodized gold at bottom. Input selector: aux, tape, tuner, phono 1, phono 2 and tape hd. Bass and treble each dual concentric. Volume. Mode selector: L to L+R, R to L+R, stereo rev, stereo, mono (L+R), L+R to L and L+R to R. Balance. Rocker switches: comp: RIAA or LP, tape monitor, phase: 0 or 180, speaker: on or off, power: on or off, LF: flat or filter, HF: flat or filter, loudness: flat or compensate. Headphone jacks. Red power indicator.

BACK PANEL: Barrier strips for 4, 8, and 16 ohms, Outputs: Tape and L+R. High level inputs: tape mon, aux, tape and tuner. Low level inputs: ph 1, ph 2 and tape hd. Ground binding post. AC outlets: 2 switched, 1 unswitched. Fuse.

TUBES: 4-7591, 2-12AU7, 12AX7.

Size 5-7/16"H, 16"W and 14-1/2"D. Weight 43 lbs. Sold from 1963-1966. Last retail price $349.00

ma230-2.jpg

Here is are two for sale. One for $1050 and the other is for $1250.

I really don't have the cash, but the deal seems way too good. Is there something i should look out for when checking it out? I dont know too much about vintage amps.

Nov 12, 2002 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 7
I'd get it!! Even if you don't like it, though I'd doubt it, or short of cash, you can turn it around for a nice profit. Then use the profits for more headphone stuff.
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 7
I found two not in the greatest condition on ebay for $550.

Hmm...

Nov 13, 2002 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Regarding the MA230:

"The person who stated it was had the MA230 and a MC225. The output transformers looked the same. I did not look at the P/N. Unlike most of the 7591 amps of the time, the 230 had a ss front end. Sadly, it sounded like so many of the ss amps of that time. McIntosh really did not have a good integrated amp with any of the MA230, MA5100 or the MA6100. The 68xx series are very respectable. The 6100 when used as either a preamp or a power amp did much better than when used as an integrated. Always suspected McIntosh may have scrimped on the power supplies causing the problem. Frank was not committed to integrated amps thinking the tuner/preamp with separate amp made more sense. Also, think that possibly with Fisher and Scott putting out really good amps, he did not think it was a worthwhile market segment."

www.audioasylum.com/forums/vintage/bbs.html

Nov 13, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, after looking into the amp, i probably wont be buying it. There are plenty of other things i could spend my money on... like some MB Quart speakers for my car
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 7
Andrew,

I have heard MB Quarts in a few systems and they are overrated. I have Diamond speakers in my car, and my only gripe is they are a bit bright, so I have to turn the treble down a bit. Could be that i'm just powering my speakers off the cd player (nakamichi), but I have heard others mention they are bright as well. But they are excellent for the price about $200-$250.

You should look into Focals. They might be a bit more expensive than MB Quarts for some of the higher models, but still not too much more. About $300-$350 for a set of 6.5" 2-way components.

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 7
In my last vehicle, i had all Boston Acoustics pro series components and they were phenominal. I had them as well as my Boston Acoustics Pro series subs powered by a couple Soundstream Reference amplifiers.

Basically, the upgraded Bose system that came in my Audi A4 isn't very good. And nothing compared to even an inexpensive aftermarket system. I have a feeling this will be my next upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back