McIntosh Introduces the MHA150!
Jan 25, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #121 of 265
I apologize for a super newb question...

If one feeds the MHA150 from a separate DAC via the balanced analog inputs, does that circumvent the built-in DAC or any other kind of digitization? I'm hoping the analog input would simply be amplified and then fed through the headphone jack or the speaker outputs.

I'm using an MHA150 with a Yggdrasil via balanced inputs. The onboard DAC holds this amp back IMO.

Jan 29, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #122 of 265
I'm using an MHA150 with a Yggdrasil via balanced inputs. The onboard DAC holds this amp back IMO.
Seems 2nd gen of the DAC still doesn't satisfy what can be delivered via the analog inputs. Shame... McIntosh should just leave it out and charge less money but I've read glowing reviews on the MHA100 and MHA150 and their DACs. What DAC chip are they using in the MHA150?

I receive my MHA100 in two days.... Except for the 100 vs 150 DACs differences I believe they both share the same analog and power supply sections. Plan to use an external DAC and saved some coin by finding a nice used MHA100. The HE1000s are breaking in and sound so much better (to me) than the HD650s paired with the Schiit Mjolnir 2. So eager to try both with the MHA100...

Jan 31, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #123 of 265
MHA100 arrived and sounding great on the balanced input with the HE1000 v2s. I have the cans connected on the speaker taps and running about 30% volume seems like a nice moderate volume setting with the meters kicking up to about -30dB. But volume goes up fast past 30% so caution!

My system is cold but I can already hear better bass, rich timbres in the upper bass/ mid-range, and very smooth highs that are not splashy but full of richness and detail. Vocals awesome. Imaging/ detail improved and draws me into the music. Sounding better as the system warms...

Thanks everyone... I think I have a winning combo.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #124 of 265
MHA100 arrived and sounding great on the balanced input with the HE1000 v2s. I have the cans connected on the speaker taps and running about 30% volume seems like a nice moderate volume setting with the meters kicking up to about -30dB. But volume goes up fast past 30% so caution!

My system is cold but I can already hear better bass, rich timbres in the upper bass/ mid-range, and very smooth highs that are not splashy but full of richness and detail. Vocals awesome. Imaging/ detail improved and draws me into the music. Sounding better as the system warms...

Thanks everyone... I think I have a winning combo.

Glad you’re enjoying it, which DAC are you using?

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #125 of 265
Glad you’re enjoying it, which DAC are you using?

Using Audio GD Singularity 7 DAC as my source... I tried the HE1000s with the regular headphone output and much prefer connection to the speaker taps. Not only more dynamic but seems more extended on both the upper and lower ends. Very smooth yet articulate. Different cabling though - Moon Audio blk. dragon with speaker output and Hifiman supplied cable with headphone jack.

Feb 2, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #126 of 265
Using Audio GD Singularity 7 DAC as my source... I tried the HE1000s with the regular headphone output and much prefer connection to the speaker taps. Not only more dynamic but seems more extended on both the upper and lower ends. Very smooth yet articulate. Different cabling though - Moon Audio blk. dragon with speaker output and Hifiman supplied cable with headphone jack.

Indeed. I completely agree with your description of the differences between outputs. I use the Norne Draug 2 cable with speaker tap adapter. Really happy with the combination.
At some point i’ll spend the $$ and get a Holo Spring Dac but right now, i’m Quite content.

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #127 of 265
I demoed the mha150 at my local best buy. I absolutely loved it with He1000 v2. I just bought an mha100. I'm actually ok with the DAC in the 150. I figured the 100 wouldn't sound much different. Has anyone listened to both?

Feb 3, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #128 of 265
Indeed. I completely agree with your description of the differences between outputs. I use the Norne Draug 2 cable with speaker tap adapter. Really happy with the combination. At some point i’ll spend the $$ and get a Holo Spring Dac but right now, i’m Quite content.

My system is settling in after amp swaps several days ago. Wow.. the MHA100 with HE1000 v2s on the speaker taps is an outstanding experience. Great synergy in this combination. So open, clear, and dynamic. Black background; punchy, nimble bass; smooth, detailed highs; and great vocals with the right amount of sibilance.... Honest reproduction and is delivered with articulated grace. I do not miss vacuum tubes one bit with this amp.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #129 of 265
Indeed. I completely agree with your description of the differences between outputs. I use the Norne Draug 2 cable with speaker tap adapter. Really happy with the combination.
At some point i’ll spend the $$ and get a Holo Spring Dac but right now, i’m Quite content.

Which speaker tap adapter are you referring to? I'm curious what the differences are :)

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #130 of 265
My system is settling in after amp swaps several days ago. Wow.. the MHA100 with HE1000 v2s on the speaker taps is an outstanding experience. Great synergy in this combination. So open, clear, and dynamic. Black background; punchy, nimble bass; smooth, detailed highs; and great vocals with the right amount of sibilance.... Honest reproduction and is delivered with articulated grace. I do not miss vacuum tubes one bit with this amp.

I'd like to know also. My unit comes in next week. Do I need to buy an adapter? Thanks

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #131 of 265
I'd like to know also. My unit comes in next week. Do I need to buy an adapter? Thanks

I just had Moon Audio make the new cable with speaker spade lugs. I have other connectors I can solder on if needed for some future purpose.

But I see your point in the need for an adapter if you don't change cables.

Feb 4, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #132 of 265
Which speaker tap adapter are you referring to? I'm curious what the differences are :)

Trevor at Norne Audio makes an adapter. XLR at one end and banana plugs on the other.
IMG_8356.jpeg

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #133 of 265
As anyone tried line out to rca from ak380 or 240 as source for MHA100 or 150. I wonder if will out perform the intergrated dac.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #134 of 265
As anyone tried line out to rca from ak380 or 240 as source for MHA100 or 150. I wonder if will out perform the intergrated dac.

I have not used AK devices but I have used the Chord Mojo as DAC. TBH, there was very very little to choose between the two in terms of Dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back