McIntosh Introduces the MHA150!
Apr 13, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #61 of 265
I'm a "Mac guy" (check out my signature) but ended up getting a Woo WA22. Took me a while to find great tubes for it tho.

I'd rather not spend the money on something I'm not going to use - such as a DAC and amp, but if you're looking for a compact "all in one" solution the MHA150 is perfect.

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #62 of 265
I'm a "Mac guy" (check out my signature) but ended up getting a Woo WA22. Took me a while to find great tubes for it tho.

I'd rather not spend the money on something I'm not going to use - such as a DAC and amp, but if you're looking for a compact "all in one" solution the MHA150 is perfect.

I only use it for a headphone amp but I see your point .. kinda expensive and two of its three capabilities are being unused/going to waste.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #63 of 265
.. to me though the amp section makes my headphones sound more emotional, warm and overall better than any headphone in the market imo.. at least better than any I've ever tried after going to many meets and shows.

Ya. Just picked up a WA22. I still listen to the MHA100 (using amp section only) about 90% more of the time for the exact reason you describe.

The amp I bought is the Stereo Exchange demo I won on auction. I don't spread this opinion wide as I'm not sure if the tubes need to be changed. The amp is only about a half year old. But if it was left on in the store all the time, the tunes may be degraded. Not sure. But I am sure I long for the Mc driving my headphones over my others.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #64 of 265
Ya. Just picked up a WA22. I still listen to the MHA100 (using amp section only) about 90% more of the time for the exact reason you describe.

The amp I bought is the Stereo Exchange demo I won on auction. I don't spread this opinion wide as I'm not sure if the tubes need to be changed. The amp is only about a half year old. But if it was left on in the store all the time, the tunes may be degraded. Not sure. But I am sure I long for the Mc driving my headphones over my others.

Yea absolutely can see you longing for the Mc above all else. It is magical, simple the best of the best.

So you bypass the DAC on the Mcintosh? What cables are you using to do this and what is your exact setup? Just curious.

:D

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #65 of 265
If McIntosh released a balanced headphone amp without a DAC and with the same sound signature as the MHA150 then I honestly would throw my money at it as hard and fast as I could.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #68 of 265
Yea absolutely can see you longing for the Mc above all else. It is magical, simple the best of the best.

So you bypass the DAC on the Mcintosh? What cables are you using to do this and what is your exact setup? Just curious.

:D
Using the NAD M51 DAC. Fed either unbalanced using vampire wire and Perreaux TC2 tone control in the path. Or balanced with a custom silver litz wire cable. Wish I could remember more about it.

May 15, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #70 of 265
I must say, after a couple of months of ownership I'm thoroughly enjoying the Mc. Drives speakers really well and HE1000's even better.

I usually get buyers remorse but not with the Mc. Not for one minute.

May 15, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #72 of 265
I agree that the price is steep but McIntosh gear holds its value very well therefore actual cost to own is actually not bad at all.

May 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #73 of 265
I agree that the price is steep but McIntosh gear holds its value very well therefore actual cost to own is actually not bad at all.

i'd agree on any of their gear without a DAC unfortunately that piece is still actively improving every year leaving their models with older DACs mostly worthless on the second hand market.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #74 of 265
Hi all, I know this is slightly off topic, but I can't find many Mc threads here. Will be getting this in the next week or so: McIntosh D1100 to use as a DAC for a Cavalli Liquid Gold amp and Utopias. I'm hoping this will be an end game setup since I won't be able to afford more gear for a while, LOL. Glad to read such positive impressions of the MHA150..... hopefully this is a good sign for the D1100!

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #75 of 265
Hi all, I know this is slightly off topic, but I can't find many Mc threads here. Will be getting this in the next week or so: McIntosh D1100 to use as a DAC for a Cavalli Liquid Gold amp and Utopias. I'm hoping this will be an end game setup since I won't be able to afford more gear for a while, LOL. Glad to read such positive impressions of the MHA150..... hopefully this is a good sign for the D1100!

Nothing against the Cavalli Liquid Gold, but I wonder if you'd be just as happy with the headphone amp in the D1100. In my experience using a McIntosh as a preamp for other headphone amps, McIntosh DACs aren't fantastic for analytical listening, but they're incredibly satisfying because of the McIntosh special sauce. I'm curious how much a Liquid Gold's output would differ from the D1100 if they're both using the same McIntosh preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back