McIntosh flagship SACD/CD/Headphone amp player
Sep 15, 2008 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

A.Thorsen

500+ Head-Fier
Bitstream: CEDIA: McIntosh's SACD/CD Player

imgp2803.jpg

Quote:

What? You thought SACD was dead? How wrong you would be. At least at the CEDIA Expo, SACD was making a strong comeback showing. Maybe higher-end installer types are presenting more demand than lowly big-box store customers. In any case, the high-end audio format is certainly alive and well on the Expo floor in Denver.

Case in point, the McIntosh MCD500 SACD/CD player is their flagship model, joining the MCD201 and MCD301 players.

It features two selectable digital inputs, coaxial and optical digital inputs, fixed and variable balanced outputs (up to 6 volts), dedicated headphone amplifier with level control, and die-cast disc tray.

Also inside, you'll find four 24-bit/192-kHz D/A converters per channel arranged in a differential balanced configuration. Of course, all clocks are phase-locked looped. Data is read from the disc at twice the normal rate.
The glass front panel is illuminated by a combination of custom-designed fiber optic light diffusors and LEDs. An illuminated remote control is included

The MCD500 will retail for a mere $6,500.

Not cheap, obviously, but considering all that it does and such, this might fill a void for some folks around here, especially if you kill a bunch of birds with one stone like what this thing does.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 26
Sep 22, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 26
$6500 is actually very reasonable for a flagshop model. i've heard plenty of mcintosh gear, but never one of their cd players.

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$6500 is actually very reasonable for a flagshop model. i've heard plenty of mcintosh gear, but never one of their cd players.

Actually their flagship cdp is a two box affair which costs 17k!
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #8 of 26
I just ordered one along with the MA7000 Integrated amp. They should be here in a couple of weeks. WooHoo!

Feb 16, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4N6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered one along with the MA7000 Integrated amp. They should be here in a couple of weeks. WooHoo!

Congrats! Obligatory pics and mini review when the units arrive! Please?

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh their CDPs are great, the best way I can describe my time with a McIntosh rack of equipment is this: you can't make 400+ lbs and $40,000+ disapeer from your perception faster if you tried

I'd love to see this "$17k flagship player" being talked about, never heard of a two piece Mctransport (yes, I went there), unless you're talking about the MCD1000/MDA1000 setup? I don't view that neccisarily as a pair, as the MDA1000 takes many inputs to balanced outputs (so you could use it for other sources as well, no idea who would need seven stereo only digital transport sources though)

the only gripe I've ever had with McIntosh is their HT front ends are always a bit dated and a bit overpriced imho, their stereo front ends are quite nice, but the "surround sound processor" attempts feel out of place (clumsy menus, clumsy remotes, clumsy front panel UIs, contrasted to offerings at half the price from Yamaha or Sony, or comparable offerings from Denon or Marantz)

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #12 of 26
(Wow, it's been a while since I've been here!)

I can attest to how superb the MCD500 is. I've been living with mine for a little over 3 weeks now. It has far exceeded any expectations I had when buying it. It is the most analog sounding CDP I've ever had the pleasure of hearing. For the first time in a long time, I'm really happy with the way CDs sound vs. vinyl. Gone is any harshness or sterility one might associate with CDs and yet the detail and absolute lack of noise is astounding. It is gorgeous in appearance and sound and worth every penny I paid for it!
atsmile.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 26
Thanks for posting your impressions!

Could you post what associated equipment you are using (or complete your profile?
wink.gif
) Have you tried the headphone jack?

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for posting your impressions!

Could you post what associated equipment you are using (or complete your profile?
wink.gif
) Have you tried the headphone jack?

McIntosh MA6600 integrated amp and a pair of old school DCM Timewindows. And my TT rig is a Rega P3-24 with TTPSU power regulator.

Tried my Senn HD-650 with it and it's at least as good as my Cosmic Reference. Want to hook up my RS-1 and give it a spin.

Jul 5, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #15 of 26
I do think that it is a cool looking machine. I have always liked their designs. The black and green reminds me of my old CRT I used in school.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back