McAlister EA-1 amp
Mar 18, 2006 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

applebook

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm very interested in this amp because of its relatively low price, and also because the company is based in Canada
smily_headphones1.gif

Can anyone provide a comprehensive review of this amp?

If anyone is interested in sending the EA-1 to me for comparison with the Blue Hawaii, please let me know. I'm serious
wink.gif
I might just order one anyway if no one obliges my request.

If this amp sounds anywhere near the level of the Headamp or Singlepower offerings, then it should a real steal.

Mar 18, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 9
I don't believe I've ever heard any criticism of the McAlister electrostatic amp, besides it's looks. It certainly won't compare to the likes of HEV90, ES-1, etc, but it doesn't need to.

I say go for it.

Mar 18, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR
This thread has quite a bit of information you would be interested in.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164410

Thanks, I missed this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Peter says that currently he's back-logged only 10 days for the EA-1, and that's a reasonably short time. When I get rid of some computer stuff, I'll probably place an order for one and see how it compares. Even if it's only 85% of the Blue Hawaii, I feel that it's worth it at $700.

Apr 13, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 9
I listen to the McAlister every evening, and I've carefully compared it to the HEV90. The McAlister does a great job with the HE90, although its performance is not quite up to HEV90 standards. I would rank it as providing 90% of the performance quality of the HEV90. It's a terrific amp. for its price, which was a bit over $700.

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 9
Although Peter McAlister never heard his amp with an Orpheus, he has used it with various Stax headphones, and also compared it to the various Stax amps. According to Peter, and I realize that his view may be biased, his McAlister amp is superior to the Stax amps, for driving Stax headphones. We'll also get user comments following the upcoming National Meet (4/22-4/23), since I'll bring the McAlister amp to the meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidel
Interesting...has anyone tried EA-1 with Stax 404? Impressions?

Apr 14, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 9
That's nice to hear...I really wonder how EA-1 compares with the Stax amps (I have 006t). How does the soundstage differ between HEV90 and EA-1? Strengths and weaknesses in your opinion?

Apr 15, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 9
The sound stage is larger with the HEV90. The difference is noted when switching from the HEV90 to the McAlister, although it's not as noticeable when switching the other way. I think that it's something like going from an HE90 to an HE60, of perhaps like going from an HE90 to a good Stax headphone. In comparison to the HEV90, the McAlister produces a noticeably reduced fullness of sound, and a smaller sound stage. But, when not making this direct comparison, the McAlister is a wonderfully satisfying amp. when driving an HE90. I listen to it every night, and really enjoying the presentation. But, I do dream of getting an HEV90, or an ES-1, or the next upgraded McAlister, or perhaps Jason's amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidel
That's nice to hear...I really wonder how EA-1 compares with the Stax amps (I have 006t). How does the soundstage differ between HEV90 and EA-1? Strengths and weaknesses in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back