Maybe Time For Some New Headphones?
Feb 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RedSox

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I've had my Grado SR80s for a few months and really like them so far. I use them with a Fiio E5 amp.

I'm thinking I'm wanting a different 'flavor' of headphones. What else should I try?

Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to say what music I like...
The Killers, Passion Pit, MGMT, Weezer, The Postal Service, Muse, Bloc Party, Modest Mouse
Pretty much New Wave, Alternative, and Alternative Rock.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 11
I suggest the Sennheiser HD580. I love them for music like that and they have a very different sound from Grados. I have also heard good things about the AD700, but have not tried them personally.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 11
If you are into amping (more than the Fii0 E5--which is really neat, I got one for my Grado 325i's and Yuin PK1 ear buds), the Senn 600 would be good. Having oodles of headphones, I really find that I listen to my Grado SR 325i the most. At work, AKG 701. I do listen occassionally to a pair of Senn 595's. They are pretty good. They'd shine with a Fii0 E5 (they realy don't need much amping as they are efficient). Try to find a used pair. I'd sell you mine, but I can't pry them off my kid's head. 9 year old boys love them. So it goes.

Feb 21, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 11
Try some Sennheisers. I think the HD-600 would be a good fit with your music. They go well with a tube amp if you're thinking about picking one up.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ad700, hd555, maybe MS1, but not really a different flavor.
I strongly suggest the ad700s.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm thinking that I wouldn't really get MS1s since I have my SR80s, though. I also think I'm probably willing to spend a bit more than the HD555s or AD700s, I'm probably looking at HD600s now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mow_the_hawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suggest the Sennheiser HD580. I love them for music like that and they have a very different sound from Grados. I have also heard good things about the AD700, but have not tried them personally.

Awesome, thanks. These days I listen to almost exclusively the kind of music I mentioned above...glad to hear Sennheiser's good for that kind of thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700. I've enjoyed them with three bands on your list (Pit, W, Postal).

Awesome, dude! Always cool to see another Passion Pit fan...new record in May!

Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
denon ah-d1001

good combo with grado

I'm not sure how I fell about a closed can. I know I'd get more bass but I really like the open sound of...open cans. Tough call. :p Nothing wrong with having both I suppose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you want to get an amp in the future with some Senns in your signature. Were you thinking solid-state or tubes?

Honestly, I haven't done much research about amps at all. I know the difference between solid-state and tube amps in the guitar amp world, but not about headphone amps. I'd imagine the concept is the same, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yashicaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are into amping (more than the Fii0 E5--which is really neat, I got one for my Grado 325i's and Yuin PK1 ear buds), the Senn 600 would be good. Having oodles of headphones, I really find that I listen to my Grado SR 325i the most. At work, AKG 701. I do listen occassionally to a pair of Senn 595's. They are pretty good. They'd shine with a Fii0 E5 (they realy don't need much amping as they are efficient). Try to find a used pair. I'd sell you mine, but I can't pry them off my kid's head. 9 year old boys love them. So it goes.

Cool--another vote for the HD600s.
smily_headphones1.gif
Believe it or not, that was almost the first nice set of 'phones I ever bought. I decided to save the extra money and buy some SR80s, and as of now I'm glad I did--if I went straight for the 600s I would probably not have discovered the (IMO awesome) Grado sound yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try some Sennheisers. I think the HD-600 would be a good fit with your music. They go well with a tube amp if you're thinking about picking one up.

Thanks. Another HD600 suggestion! I'm selling my QC3s that I got as a gift (hehe) and already have some saved up, so I'll hopefully have enough for some HD600s and an amp soon!

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 11
LD MKIVSE or one of the Darkvoice amps like the 3322.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back