Maybe Need New Player!
Sep 16, 2005 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gamefreak

New Head-Fier
My iHP-120's harddrive decided to go haywire and its over warrenty so I might need to shop for a new player
frown.gif

Here is what I want/questions I have:

- First: No iPod. No way I'm using iTunes.

- Second: What is the main difference between flash and HD based? Does flash load faster/sound better/not skip/whatever?

- Third: Can you post your thoughts on going flash vs HD and which players in specific you'd recommend?

Edit: Fourth: Is it advisable to go "electronic sensor things" vs movable parts (ie analog stick or spin wheel ala iPod 1st gens)?

Much thanks guys!

Edit again: So far, the only one jumping out at me is the Zen Micro 6GB (~$40 less than a Nano). Would anyone recommend a Rio? Anyone have one of the new iRivers? How are the new Big Zens?

Sep 16, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 13
Have u seen the new Zen Neeon ?
It smaller,thinner,and lighter than Zen Micro.
It comes with 5 Gigs and about the same price as Zen Micro.
I don't know why amazon.com doesn't have it yet, because e-store in my country has sell it already.

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 13
If you're "no way using iTunes", by logical conclusion that rules out MediaSource and Sonicstage/Connect since both are 'even' worse, which means that Creative and Sony are out of the running. The new iRivers to all intents and purposes rely on a database which is either managed by Windows Media Player or compatibles, as well as the truly abysmal iRiver Plus, so presumably that's out of the running too. It is possible to browse and play, but it is hopelessly slow.

How about either the iAudio X5 or M3?

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreak
My iHP-120's harddrive decided to go haywire and its over warrenty so I might need to shop for a new player
frown.gif

Or maybe not
tongue.gif
Have you considered buying another HDD and fixing your player yourself? There are lots of info on how to do it at misticriver.net, they say it's easy.

It's a good choice if you really liked your iHP-120 or don't want to spend much money. Or you might be happy with the idea of getting something new, I dont know...

Sep 16, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 13
Flash players have much too small a capacity for me, but if 1-6GB is plenty for you, get a flash player.

If you're not going to be rough with it, get an HDD player. You'll get a 20GB player for pretty cheap.

Sep 16, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Called them up, they said it was out of warrenty and so I was totally out of luck.

I would consider buying an iRiver again as I got a lot of use out of this one and it is very handy. Hmmm... decisions decisions...

Edit: And no. I would be willing to use another program just not iTunes
biggrin.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 13
If you can get a replacement hard drive cheap i would do that. If you cant find a cheap hd or you dont feel comfortable tearing the player apart I would get a zen micro. If you think you will keep this player for over a year I would definitely go for creative's 2 year plan because the hard drive might break (mine did
rolleyes.gif
). Creative is good with theyr'e warrenties and have already replaced mine, if only ups would hurry up
frown.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 13
Buying another HD won't really fly for me. Besides, I need to justify getting a new player (at least to myself)
280smile.gif

Anywho, what do you all think about getting the extra warrenty from Creative?

Sep 16, 2005 at 8:47 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamefreak
Buying another HD won't really fly for me. Besides, I need to justify getting a new player (at least to myself)
280smile.gif

Haha, yes, who wants the same HD player for a couple of years? I hope my Zen breaks and I can then justify buying a lovely new one!

Good job they break really, otherwise you'd quite keep a 100GB player for years.

Sep 16, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #13 of 13
smily_headphones1.gif

I decided on the extra warrenty if anyone is curious. Figure that loads of people have complained about some Creative products (headphone ports etc) so I might as well play it on the safe side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back