Maybe I'm still a headfier
Apr 3, 2004 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

plainsong

Headphoneus Supremus: Untie!
I'm not sure how to start this post. It's been a good long while in lurk mode for me. Afterall, I didn't really have enough gear, and you know sometimes this can be a difficult place for a girl
wink.gif
, and my belief system is different from many here. I just felt that maybe I wasn't ment to be posting here.

But does that make me less of a headfier? Soon after I stopped posting here I found a d-311LE locally for €30.00. Well ok, the Grundig is still good with the 990s, but this d-311 is obviously better. Then I finally fiound a 24v wallwart for my Porta Corda. Once again, audio nirvana... so I thought. I got the Senn 600s plus the upgrade cable from Jan. and you know, it just starts to snowball once you take a step like that. For budget-fi with the computer, and for portable home use, I got the ms-1. Now that's a Grado sound I can like. Paired with the flat pads from Todd, my new groovilizers. Not bad for €75.00. Then I found the Philips 890s locally on clearence for €40.00. Finally, nice late-night tv-watching cans. And we won't speak of the ety 4p/s for Christmas. I recently tried out the Shure E3, definately not for me. The etys still rule.
evil_smiley.gif

A couple of months ago, after I got my hair done, I dropped by the local audio shop. I wanted to hear what al lthe fuss was about when it comes to portable versus full-sized. I listened to the Tivoli cdp, Denon umd-31. To me it sounded like a tiny upgrade from my current setup. Feeling smug, I decided to try something in the price range of €500 (remember, stuff isn't cheap in Finland). Why €500? Well my ipod cost as much when I got it. I wanted to see how far the same money goes with a full-sized source. So my eyes wandered to the Nad C542.

This was hardly a scientific audition. They only had the project headbox amp and some Senn 650s with a cd of different kinds of music, classic, rock, techno. Well for now it would do. The guy took the components to a quiet listening room and left me alone. First impressions? WOW! That killed portable gear for me, for anything other than portable use. I wasn't expecting great things from the headbox, and obviously couldn't compare it head-on with the porta corda II. And obviously I was blown away by the source. The only thing I can say is that they powered the Senn 650s. Otherwise I can't say anything good or bad about the amp.

That started a two month forced starvation. My d-311 sounded like nothing. Time to liquidate and upgrade. This was complicated by the buying of this apartment. The spouse doesn't look at you favorably for wanting audio gear when you should be thinking of home improvements.
wink.gif
I was able to get rid of everything...even stuff I would miss, like my trackmasters. I even considered getting rid of my Seiko Final Fantasy watch. :0

For the amp, I wanted two equal headphone jacks, like with the headbox, only not the headbox. The reasoning for not choosing the headbox was that I wanted to make a substantial upgrade. This led me to the Perreaux. I contacted Totallywired in New Zealand and they hooked me up. Even got the correct power cord for use in Europe. Including customs, it wasn't much more than the AA US price.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now started the two week agonizing wait. In the last week there have been some late nights with Pixel (our dachshund), who somehow caught kennel cough. And then yesterday we bought the apartment...got back from the bank, and there was the package notification for the Perreaux! Was I more excited about the apartment or the amp? I'll let you decide.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Today I went down to customs, picked up the amp and almost ran to the audio store (Totally Wired packages really well BTW). They only had that floor demo of the Nad, but that's ok. I feel like I know it now, and it's in perfect condition with the full warranty. I got the ICs for free as a discount.. Tara Labs 1100i.

Yes, this is extreme upgrading. The proper thing would be to burn-in the Perreaux first. Not burned- in, bass is a bit recessed, and the sound a tad harsh. Already the bass is less recessed and it's lost the harshness altogether. But even not run-in yet, words cannot describe what this upgrade means for me. Music is so important to me, and now I'm one step closer to it. Sure, my system could stand improvement, but that's the fun of it.
biggrin.gif

So does this mean that I'm still a headfier at heart? Should I leave the membership of Team Gone? Do I have anything useful to contribute? I was never good at posting impressions. Sound and music are such a personal thing.

I should be in bed asleep. But who can sleep when you're hearing the music for the first time? Care to place bets on how long it is before I go for the Senn 650s?
600smile.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 32
welcome home plainsong.
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 32
Can't say I ever met you (you must've left before I rejoined), but once a Head-fier, always a head fier I suppose. I don't think I could go back to crap gear from this...even if it meant living in the street.

Oh, btw, I'm curious to see a picture of that Final Fantasy watch
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 32
HEY, welcome back PlainSong! We sure missed you around this place. Hopefully things have calmed down and you won't have to take-off again and leave us.

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 32
Hey thanks for the welcome back guys. I'll take a picture of the FF watch later. In the meantime, here's a quick shot of my gear in action. It's a unique setup. I use my computer, G4 imac, from the couch. Instead of a desk, I found an entertainment center that was high enough and on wheels. It sits to the side like an inn table, except when I'm using the computer, I wheel it in front of me. So on top is the imac (not shown), and my husband added a small keyboard drawer from Ikea, and it fits nicely, you can sort of see the bottom of it. Down at the bottom you can almost make out the Slappa cd case that I got for those cd's I lugged with me from the US. The C542 I got was titanium colored...nifty. It improves the sound if it looks cool, right?
wink.gif

nad.JPG

edit- ignore my leg, I'm wearing my PJ's!
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 32
nice setup.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 32
Good to see you back. Have you updated you site recently,it was a fun read before. Did you ever find any other head-fiers in your neck of the woods?

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 32
I missed you plainsong. I'm glad you decided to come by and share your experience with us.
You did quite an upgrade there. That is some very nice equipment.
cool.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #11 of 32
I missed you also, plainsong!
600smile.gif

Seriously, my home digital source needs upgrading. The only full-size CD player that I have right now is a cheapie low-end consumer Sony 5-disc carousel changer with its crap-tacular, bright, harsh DAC.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #12 of 32
It seems the defection from Team Portable is gaining momentum...

Good to see you back here Plainsong
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 32
plainsong: Poor old Grundig... *sigh*
wink.gif
But, hey, welcome back!
biggrin.gif
I already wondered what has happened to you, as you didn't react on your last Happy-Birthday-thread...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 32
it is nice to see you back here plainsong
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

judging by how you frantically ran around town and shook like drugy waiting for his/her fix, you are now an official junkie and will forever be addicted to head-fi (although i think you already were before all this upgrading). anyways, welcome to insanity
biggrin.gif

but seriously, i'm glad you now are that much closer to the music and have as a result, been able to be more emotionally connected with your music. i can relate to your recent experiences because i also started from thinking my portable setup (iRiver 350) was going to cut it for the rest of my life
rolleyes.gif

everytime someone is in this situation, and we read about it here on head-fi, it is pretty much a given to everyone else accept that person that he/she will get the bug through not a matter of "if," but when they will get bitten.
plainsong, i wish you many years of happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:10 AM Post #15 of 32
Hehheh, I literally was like a junkie. You guys know how moody you can get when the tunes aren't sounding right.
evil_smiley.gif

Tuberoller, I'll get around to doing some spring cleaning over at my website soon. I have lots to put in that blog now.
smily_headphones1.gif
I still need to take more pictures though, but at least I'll have tunes to listen to while I do it.
smily_headphones1.gif

But even with the liquidation sale, my closet is full of portable fun, a Technics sl-xp300, Philips AZ6831, and the ole reliable Grundig. You never know when you'll need an emergency source or two.

The thing I don't understand is how my husband can say he hears no difference between this and his ipaq 2210 listening to 128wma with mx500s!
mad.gif
I'll wait after a few more days of burn-in and see if he changes his mind. Even so, to say the difference is rather striking would be the understatement of the year.

But in conclusion, I have to say that €500 will take you very far indeed, as long as you add €380 to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

And I have a birthday thread?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back