Maybe getting back into the game. Out of the loop. Need guidance.
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Zalithian

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone. Some of you might remember me from a while ago. I've been out of the high-fi thing for a while, but since I finally have some spare cash again I am considering buying some nice IEMS again. A little about my experiences:

I have owned the IE8, W3, UM3X, PFE, HD25, E2C, ER6i, SE210, NE-7M, Atrio M5, Klipsch X5, and probably a bunch that I have forgotten, but nothing else too high end aside from the first three. In terms of my likes that list is pretty much in order. I'm not terribly picky on the sound I prefer as I have liked all the decent IEMS I have gotten a fit with, aside from the SE210. I didn't have any luck with the M5 fitting, ditto for the X5. I love the IE8's sound. It's so smooth, built like a tank. I loved the W3 as well, even though it's pretty opposite in sound. It fit incredibly. UM3X was good too, big fan, just a bit dry for me although I loved the way it presented treble.

Anyway. My budget is roughly $400 USD. If any of you know where I can buy legit IE8's for under $300 (from an authorized dealer) then I will probably go ahead and pick those up, but I am also curious which new options are things I should be looking into. Music wise I am pretty all around, anything from classical to kpop to dubstep. I am also open to spending less too. I was considering the SE215 but I read a lot about some problems in what seems to be a design flaw. Source is a Zune HD with 320 kbps MP3's, primarily.

Let me know if you have any questions you think will help. I should be back later tonight.

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 12
Westone 4s? IMO, they are the best all rounders. Why not consider saving up a bit more for customs though.

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
If any of you know where I can buy legit IE8's for under $300 (from an authorized dealer) then I will probably go ahead and pick those up, but I am also curious which new options are things I should be looking into.

The IE8's can be had for $295 (after shipping) from an authorized reseller (listed as RAZORDOG DEALS), and you don't have to worry about being outbid; plenty of auctions to catch, and I've seen many go unsold at that very same starting price. 
smile.gif

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
If any of you know where I can buy legit IE8's for under $300 (from an authorized dealer)

Call JR electronics and mention that an authorized dealer on eBay has them for under $300. The rep will cut it down to $285, then tell them $255 and we got a deal. Just pretend you're buying a car and haggle with the rep. You could probably also mention the updated IE80 will be out in the next month or two. Good luck!

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 12
If you likes bass heavy sound signature of IE8 then i will recommend to try JVCFX700, they offers deep, reverbing, rich, bass with really wide soundstage(like IE8), great clarity in mids and extended highs. Others IEMs like Sony EX1000(highely recommended), SM3 V2, Westone 4 and CK100.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks for the replies everyone. If I can get the IE8 for around $260 then I'd probably pick it up for sure. I'll consider trying a phone call to J&R. I did not know the IE80 was coming out soon though, and some of the other suggestions seem interesting as well. I worry the W4 might be a bit too neutral for me, although I was a big fan of the PFE's which were pretty neutral. Not too interested in customs as I am a semi-poor college student and would possibly need to liquidate at some point. :)

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 12
They sound interesting. Curious about the warranty and Sony's customer support, as well as for other brands. When I had a problem with my IE8 I just shipped it to Sennheiser and they sent me a brand new pair immediately which was great. Durability and all that is certainly an important factor. I trust brands like Shure, Westone, Sennheiser in that regard.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
They sound interesting. Curious about the warranty and Sony's customer support, as well as for other brands. When I had a problem with my IE8 I just shipped it to Sennheiser and they sent me a brand new pair immediately which was great. Durability and all that is certainly an important factor. I trust brands like Shure, Westone, Sennheiser in that regard.

Couldn't agree more with everything you've said my friend. I too received a brand new replacement for my first ever IE8's, nearly a year ago, when the right channel died on me. I was quite surprised, seeing as how I no longer had the receipt on me, and the SENN rep whom I spoke with personally put in a notice on my behalf. Excellent service, no doubt about it! I haven't any personal experience with Shure and Westone, but FWIR, they seem equally as promising. As insulting as Sony's 90 day warranty is for the EX1000, I opted to purchase an extended 3YR SQUARETRADE warranty, for less than $40 USD, after which I'm content. The best part is, when purchased through an online retailer, you are eligible to buy the extended warranty within 90 days from the date of your purchase. Purchases through eBay are limited to 30 days, which is still not bad at all. In other words, for those first 3 months, Sony's got you covered. Just before the 90 days are up, buy an extended 3YR SQUARERADE warranty, and you've got the best of both worlds. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Couldn't agree more with everything you've said my friend. I too received a brand new replacement for my first ever IE8's, nearly a year ago, when the right channel died on me. I was quite surprised, seeing as how I no longer had the receipt on me, and the SENN rep whom I spoke with personally put in a notice on my behalf. Excellent service, no doubt about it! I haven't any personal experience with Shure and Westone, but FWIR, they seem equally as promising. As insulting as Sony's 90 day warranty is for the EX1000, I opted to purchase an extended 3YR SQUARETRADE warranty, for less than $40 USD, after which I'm content. The best part is, when purchased through an online retailer, you are eligible to buy the extended warranty within 90 days from the date of your purchase. Purchases through eBay are limited to 30 days, which is still not bad at all. In other words, for those first 3 months, Sony's got you covered. Just before the 90 days are up, buy an extended 3YR SQUARERADE warranty, and you've got the best of both worlds. 
biggrin.gif

That is a pretty sorry warranty from Sony. I am not too surprised, however. I keep reading so many good things about the EX1000's that I may get over my IE8 bias /lackluster feelings toward Sony and try them. I noticed those warranty things on amazon, so it's something I would look into! There are so many choices still. I am intrigued by the Westone 4, because I was a huge fan of the W3, and enjoyed the UM3X as well. I still feel the IE8 sets the standard for cables out of the IEMS I have owned. It's just so cool looking and doesn't tangle that I remember. I preferred it to the Braided W3 cable. Hmm.. always tough getting outside my comfort zone when spending so much. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back