May return AKG 601s, need help
Apr 3, 2008 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jlipton

New Head-Fier
I just bought a pair of AKG k601s and a used Ray Samuels XP-7 amp to go with my Macbook Pro and Apogee Duet. I use them for guitar work/practice. The 601s are pretty light on bass, so I may return them. If I do, I would want another set of headphones to use with the XP-7 and Duet.

More specifically, I want:
- "open" headphones, so I can hear my guitar amp through the headphones while listening to a song through the headphones. In other words, I don't want to close off all outside sound
- Good bass (doesn't need to be too much), but very good clarity and detail
- Something that can be driven by an XP-7
- Cost <$300

What do you recommend?

Apr 3, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 8
I would think that the K601 would be smokin' via the Duet's own headphone jack. I might actually buy a pair to use with my Duet in the near future. The K601 has the best bass of any AKG I've owned or heard so far, but that's a matter of personal taste to be sure.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 8
I returned them and purchased Grado 225s. Not as comfortable (but still ok), but I think they sound better for what I use them for. Easier to drive also, so much so that I may sell my RSA XP-7 and just use the headphone output from my Apogee Duet

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 8
Grado's rock for rock.

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #7 of 8
Alessandros tend to be more neutral, less bright on the highs. I had the SR225 before I got my MS-1, so I never got to A+B them, but I like my MS-1 a lot better on my amp than I did the SR225 (headphones connected to Marshall VS100 head).

Apr 27, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 8
The bass on the K601 does improve with burn-in, but it still is no where near the quantity of bass that my friend's Grado SR-80s has.

If possible, my suggestion would be to audition a couple headphones if possible. There are tons of headphones out there that meet your criteria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back