Maximum bass for <£30
Dec 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #16 of 31

Quote:
Thanks a lot, man.
This has definitely made me more keen on getting the JVC's as I was never entirely sure about the Ultraphiles but I might give them a try anyway (they're cheap after all).
I'll report back once I've made up my mind and I've gotten some IEM.

BTW Excellent choice of songs :]

Np man. As a basshead, I'd suggest avoiding these or any Xears for that matter since I haven't heard that any of them really stick out in the bass category.

What I as a basshead looks for is impact, clarity and range. The bass doesn't lack in these categories, but still, do not fill my expectations.
Especially when I listened to the "We Are Young Money" album. All of those sounds have a very deep deep bass line and the Xears could hardly keep up. They didn't exactly reproduce the same sound. The range of the bass is limited. Disappointed.

I always use the song "New Boyz - I Dont Care" to test the bass and these were disappointing.

EDIT: if you buy the hafx1x, tell me how they are! my next pair is between the jvc hafx1x and the mee sp51's. They're both more or less $30 usd

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #17 of 31

Quote:
Np man. As a basshead, I'd suggest avoiding these or any Xears for that matter since I haven't heard that any of them really stick out in the bass category.

What I as a basshead looks for is impact, clarity and range. The bass doesn't lack in these categories, but still, do not fill my expectations.
Especially when I listened to the "We Are Young Money" album. All of those sounds have a very deep deep bass line and the Xears could hardly keep up. They didn't exactly reproduce the same sound. The range of the bass is limited. Disappointed.

I always use the song "New Boyz - I Dont Care" to test the bass and these were disappointing.

EDIT: if you buy the hafx1x, tell me how they are! my next pair is between the jvc hafx1x and the mee sp51's. They're both more or less $30 usd

I expected more due to all the hype I guess but then again, the HAFX1X is fairly hyped too but I'll just have to try that for myself before I can say anything.

I was considering the Hippo VB or Nuforce NE-6/7 too but it's virtually impossible to get either of these in UK and even though there are a couple retailers for Nuforce, the NE-700X costs like £60 (near 100 USD) which is not a great bargain tbh.

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #18 of 31

Quote:

I expected more due to all the hype I guess but then again, the HAFX1X is fairly hyped too but I'll just have to try that for myself before I can say anything.

I was considering the Hippo VB or Nuforce NE-6/7 too but it's virtually impossible to get either of these in UK and even though there are a couple retailers for Nuforce, the NE-700X costs like £60 (near 100 USD) which is not a great bargain tbh.

The NuForce NE-700X is just $65 in the US. And the hippo's are just too much for me ($80) to do. In reality, I want to spend that much but I just can't go above $50 usd.

Try looking up a mail forwarding service. May be worth your while if you really want the NuForces or those Hippo's.

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #22 of 31
I recently received the tdk eb900 and they are bass heavy.  I actually enjoy them.  I got them for free but never thought to buy them.  I think they are worth it for under the price your looking at.  

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #24 of 31
Just get a fake iBeats mayNe^

Dec 4, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #25 of 31

Quote:
Well, after careful consideration, I've got HAFX1X ordered. Should be here on Monday, will post impressions.

Awesome. I've heard nothing but good things.

And guess what happened to my Xears already. The housing has fallen apart. I haven't even put them in my pocket. It's strictly from putting them in my ears and pulling them out. I'm actually furious. I'm going to contact Xears tomorrow and demand a refund or replacement (Why should I have to pay again for shipping?). Hopefully Thomas will deliver or I will be the new anti-Xears. Aren't you glad you got the JVC's. They still work but seriously? Not even a ********* week they lasted!

Dec 5, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #26 of 31
Wow, sorry to hear that.
I had heard that Xears had terrific quality (*cough* sarcasm *cough*) but I had also heard that Ultraphiles were much better in that regard. Guess I was wrong :[
Now I'm feeling really good that I ordered the JVC because Ultraphiles were a serious contender.

Anyone, hope you can sort something out with Thomas.
I'll post my impressions today after college (if the JVC arrive which they should).

Dec 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #27 of 31
Okay, impression time.
Apologies for the awful pictures but the lighting was terrible and camera refused to cooperate.
DISCLAIMER: Assume of me as a typical consumer who doesn't care about all this audiophile goodness and just wants to enjoy music. I have experience with some IEM's but nothing high-end or particularly good so keep that in mind.

Packaging - Can't say anything particularly good or bad. Although I do wish I could've opened the package like a civilized man but it was sealed shut.
Accessories - 3 tips and a carrying case. Personally I think it's fine for what you're paying but then again, some companies (MEElec) do provide a bit more. Carrying case is made of fairly average plastic. Pretty light and seems sturdy enough but I'm afraid for the hinge as that is exactly what broke on my UE case. Tips are bog standard, nothing interesting.
Quality - One of the first things that struck me was the quality of these. I was shocked (in a good way) as they feel really tough and quality made. The cable is slightly thicker than average and has a rubbery texture (I like it, feels much nicer than just typical plastic) which might be good or bad but I guess it's up to preference. The cable splitter (not the proper word but I can't remember what it's called) as well as the actual housing are both made from hard and sturdy (or so it seems), rugged plastic with a rubbery, non-slip finish. Overall the quality is supreme and feels much better than my Klipsch S2. Pretty sure that you could easily throw these in your pocket everyday without any damage for a good while.
Isolation - Isolation is surprisingly good or maybe those are just my standards but I'm currently listening to a song on these while sitting 30 cm's away from a set of speakers playing a completely different song and I can't hear anything. I will try and remember to update this once I get a chance to try these out in the London Underground (always noisy). Overall, I'm more than happy with isolation.
Comfort - A yet another strong point for these. I'll start of by saying that before I ordered these, I was very worried about possible comfort issues as they seemed to have fairly large housing (I had problems with the MEElec M31 comfort-wise and the housing was smaller on the MEElec's) and they do however the comfort is surprisingly impressive. Now, it's not perfect by any means (I can still very much feel that they are in my ears) but they do not hurt my ears or cause any other problems which I define as good. They are also very simple to put it and they sit there very nicely without any issues (I doubt that they are one of those IEM's that keep falling out every 5 minutes). These also have a pretty unusual housing (see blurry picture :D) but it seems to work pretty well. 
Sound - Oh well, let's get down to it. Initial impression (no burn-in) was that there is plenty of bass, shallow highs and the bass while being quantitative, doesn't really have any texture. It's very difficult to explain but it's almost like you can hear the bass but you can't feel it (it's difficult to explain because I don't mean literally feeling the bass either, I just mean you can't feel it flowing and pumping). After about 20 hours of burn-in through normal white noise my opinion hasn't changed much about bass, it still feels very quantitative but there is no texture or feel to it but the highs have come through now and they seem a lot less bright. However, overall they are very much worth the price and I really can't complain. This experience has also taught me that quantity might not be everything which I'll keep in mind in the future.

I'm currently trying to decide which tip is the best seal for me and I've also trying the UE silicon tips right now but I don't understand what they've changed yet (sounds weird but I guess I don't know the song or the IEM's well enough).

My quality of writing is not stellar by any means but I do hope that this has helped someone and I apologies for any mistakes or parts that are hard to understand.
Once again, I will update this whenever I have done more burn-in.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #28 of 31

Quote:

Awesome. I've heard nothing but good things.

And guess what happened to my Xears already. The housing has fallen apart. I haven't even put them in my pocket. It's strictly from putting them in my ears and pulling them out. I'm actually furious. I'm going to contact Xears tomorrow and demand a refund or replacement (Why should I have to pay again for shipping?). Hopefully Thomas will deliver or I will be the new anti-Xears. Aren't you glad you got the JVC's. They still work but seriously? Not even a ********* week they lasted!

OK - to set the record straight. I contacted Thomas saying that they broke and it hasn't been a week. I was happy to know he didn't need an explanation. He said as long as I cut the cable and smash the housings with a hammer, he'll send me a new one at no cost. In the end, I said I'll try using a drop of superglue to hold the housings together. They still work so I'd rather save time and effort. He assured me if anything happens, just shoot him an e-mail with the cut wires and smashed housings and he'll send me a new one. I guess this makes me a happier Xears customer than I was when they broke. That said, I will still use them, weary of when their relationship with my ears will end.

BTW, I've gotten use to their sound signature and they sound a lot better than when they were new to me. The sound very good man! Though, when I put my other IEMs on, the bass is still a little on the mellow side (Bear in mind, I'm an absolute 100% basshead)

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #29 of 31

Quote:

OK - to set the record straight. I contacted Thomas saying that they broke and it hasn't been a week. I was happy to know he didn't need an explanation. He said as long as I cut the cable and smash the housings with a hammer, he'll send me a new one at no cost. In the end, I said I'll try using a drop of superglue to hold the housings together. They still work so I'd rather save time and effort. He assured me if anything happens, just shoot him an e-mail with the cut wires and smashed housings and he'll send me a new one. I guess this makes me a happier Xears customer than I was when they broke. That said, I will still use them, weary of when their relationship with my ears will end.

BTW, I've gotten use to their sound signature and they sound a lot better than when they were new to me. The sound very good man! Though, when I put my other IEMs on, the bass is still a little on the mellow side (Bear in mind, I'm an absolute 100% basshead)

Great to see that Thomas was so responsive.
When you said "other IEM's", what did you mean (apart from the Nuforce's that you had)?

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
Great to see that Thomas was so responsive.
When you said "other IEM's", what did you mean (apart from the Nuforce's that you had)?

Not sure what the model is called because they're not exactly mine (they were my friend's) but they were a pair of Bose IEM's that had a black and white wire. He also had a pair of MEE's but I have no clue what model they were. I know I know, they're not exactly mine but I used them day in and day out, at home, on the go, or in the gym and I've had my fair share of listening for each.Also, I just got the Monoprice 8320's.

The Xears are definitely a bassy IEM but I find myself using bass boost to get the effects I want.

Since I've told you about them last, my impressions were bound to change. I've used the burn-in tool on JLab's website ( http://www.jlabaudio.com/burn.php ) and to be honest, I noticed a great difference as opposed to using a normal white noise track.

Put it this way, I've been listening to tracks "Drake - Make Me Proud" (FLAC rip from CD) and "Avicii - My Feelings For You" (iTunes m4a) and the Xears make me smile
L3000.gif
(on bass boost).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back