Maxed Out Home Ref into the wall or power strip?
Apr 2, 2004 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jaybar

100+ Head-Fier
I am using the HR Maxed Out Home Reference, with a Cardas GR Power Cord. Is it best to plug it into the wall or into my PS Audio Juice Bar Power Strip?

Thanks,

Jay

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 15
I'd plug the MOH into the Juice Bar. Unlike the wall sockets, the Juice Bar's sockets are isolated from each another. You'll supposedly get less noise and interference from adjacent sockets.

By the way, the Juice Bar is only a power strip, not a surge suppressor, right? And it has no power conditioning or regenerating circuitry, as I recall. If so, then you might want to get a surge suppressor or a power conditioner, just to prevent poor performance from dirty power, or damage from spikes or brownouts.

D.

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #3 of 15
I run ALL my equipment through surge suppressors. "Better" sound (no surge suppressors) is not worth having damage or destruction to my audio or video equipment. How "better" is a +$1000 headphone amp when it is smoked and non operational because of a surge or brownout?

I am using a borrowed MOH (Premium module). The sound is great with surge suppressors AND regulator.

I would use at least surge suppression.

Since you can afford that expensive amp, a good protection option is the Tripplite LC1200 Regulator/Suppressor. About $100 at www.provantage.com . This provides ISOBAR (trademark) surge suppression with ac voltage regulation. It also disconnects equipment when voltage is too high or low for regulator to handle safely.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 15
Into the wall. Most audio manufacturers recommend this.

Best bet is to email Headroom and ask them.

Surge suppressor? If the amp needs that extra power do you want the surge suppressor to limit it? It’s not a computer with memory etc. Short of unplugging it during an electric storm there shouldn’t be any problem plugging it into the wall.

Mitch

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 15
Another vote for into the wall. I have tried several power conditioners with my headamps and they all compromised the sound somehow. I dont see the purpose of putting the amp into the juice bar. You just add another connection and power cord. If the wall outlet isnt isolated and /or of poor quality, the juice bar will still have to be plugged in there.

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
Into the wall. Most audio manufacturers recommend this.

Best bet is to email Headroom and ask them.

Surge suppressor? If the amp needs that extra power do you want the surge suppressor to limit it? It’s not a computer with memory etc. Short of unplugging it during an electric storm there shouldn’t be any problem plugging it into the wall.

Mitch

The MOH is not a high current device. Any device you connect to it will not effect it's power availibility.

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
The MOH is not a high current device. Any device you connect to it will not effect it's power availibility.

Not true, IMO. If I connect the gilmores or singlepower ppx3 I have to power conditioning it squashes the dynamics. Despite theoretically not requiring high current the amps I have tried are negatively affected. I like all my amps straight out of the wall best.

Apr 4, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 15
IMO, not true. Placebo effect maybe?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 15
Hi, I also posted this in your last thread. It would be better to plug it straight into the wall if your powerstrip has no filtering & surge protection. I cant see any added benefits if its just a powerstrip other than if you need an extra outlet for your other components.
But for my peace of mind, I always use surge protection now.

Having said that I have tried a cheap $60 surge protector (Monster Cable Power Filter PC1000) with my MOH for a time before my brickwall surge protector arrived & works ok with me. I cant hear any difference between it, the brickwall, or when plugged straight into the wall.

Here's a thread about the PC1000:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...r+cable+pc1000

Apr 4, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by fredpb
IMO, not true. Placebo effect maybe?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nope, I have tried a PS AUDIO P300, PS AUDIO Ultimate Outlet, Monster HTS 1000 with 5 gilmore amps and two singlepower tube amps; and I hear the same problems every time. The tube amps seem to be affected even more than the solid state amps. I do use the PS AUDIO units with my sources and it works great with those. Since your borrowing the amp in question, have you actually listened to the amp straight from the wall?

Apr 4, 2004 at 2:31 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
Nope, I have tried a PS AUDIO P300, PS AUDIO Ultimate Outlet, Monster HTS 1000 with 5 gilmore amps and two singlepower tube amps; and I hear the same problems every time. The tube amps seem to be affected even more than the solid state amps. I do use the PS AUDIO units with my sources and it works great with those. Since your borrowing the amp in question, have you actually listened to the amp straight from the wall?

Based upon my experience, knowledge, and listening, not using a surge suppressor is not worth it to me.

Since the amp is not mine, protection is paramount.

The baddies on the power line wear out shunt mode (MOV) surge suppressors. If it hammering them, it is also effecting components in the audio equipment (if you had no surge suppressors with the equipment).

Individual taste and choice. I chose to save my equipment.

Apr 4, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 15
I have yet to find a surge protector or power conditioner unit that does not compress the sound of an amplifier. I find it more noticeable on a speaker based system and with tube equipment. I only have my sources plugged into my conditioners. My amp have always gone into the wall. I must be lucky because in close to forty years of owning hi-fi equipment I've never had one destroy itself because of power issues. But if I lived in an area where brownouts are common I would certainly use surge protection.

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #14 of 15
I thought I lived in an area without brownouts. I knew I had a lot of spike problems in my condo.

Had a number of brownouts last year. The first one took out a VCR and I got to my bedroom Rotel Receiver that was smelling of burned electronics in time. It smelled a bit but was ok.

There were more brownouts that year, but no losses, as I put in voltage regulators on all systems except computers, which had UPS.

I think most people do not understand what spikes, brownouts, and surges are, and what they can do. Or how common they are.

I chose "electronic insurance".

In my 40 years of owning electronic devices, I have had many fail to electronic problems. That is, until I used protection.

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by GWN
I have yet to find a surge protector or power conditioner unit that does not compress the sound of an amplifier. I find it more noticeable on a speaker based system and with tube equipment. I only have my sources plugged into my conditioners. My amp have always gone into the wall. I must be lucky because in close to forty years of owning hi-fi equipment I've never had one destroy itself because of power issues. But if I lived in an area where brownouts are common I would certainly use surge protection.

The Juice Bar is simply a high quality outlet extender with no power conditioning or surge suppression. Use it or not, as you will. My preference is to plug it into my power conditioner if I need extra outlets.

I live in a condo. I've got thirteen other units in my building. Every one of them uses other electrical appliances. There's a lot of noise running around through here. In addition, the power company is a bit lax about how it hangs its power transformers. During a storm, an outage is almost mandatory. Blown transformers not only cause outages, but they've been known to let some weird currents into the electrical system. I absolutely have to have some sort of protection between my electrical gear and that.

Sex without a condom may be better, but when the other party is known to have a disease, you use protection anyway.
tongue.gif

The Monster HTS-2000 has high-current outputs that don't seem to compress amp performance, while providing both surge suppression and conditioning. It's an excellent choice at the price point. I particulary like the Audio Magic Stealth Mini-Matrix, in terms of what it does for the sound in my system. I use a Tice Elite IV in my main HT setup, but they're no longer in business IIRC. The JR power conidtion kit (available as kit or assembled at diycable.com or you can build from schematics from Jon Risch) doesn't hurt dynamics badly.The one conditioner I've heard that indeed compresses dynamics badly is the Brickwall. I've relegated that one to my computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back