Maxed Out Home... Mini Review
Apr 3, 2004 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fredpb

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been loaned a Headroom Maxed Out Home, Premium module for about 45 days now.

It is used with (only) Sennheiser HD600's, Clou Red Jaspis cable, and Big Red 15' extention cable. Sources are Rega Planet (original) and Music Hall MMF5 turntable (Goldring GX1012 cartridge) and Rotel phono Preamp.

Music has been varied over this long period. Mainly classical. LP's and CD's in various qualities, good, mediocre and so so.

Build quality of MOH is simply superb. And it has nice features. It has a FIVE year warranty. Made and serviced in USA. Made by a large corporation with the capacity to repair it under warranty, unlike a small operation.

For a full description, and internal and external pictures, see the Headroom Corp. website.

The MOH puts out what you put in. You put in something poor sounding, and you will get yech. You put in something wonderful and it is heaven. You put in something just average and you can make some adjustments with the Crossfeed function and the two position (excluding "off") "filter". The "filter" is really a two step high frequency boost. This combination can work wonders on some recordings.

The Premium module gives you incredible detail and smoothness. Really nice.

The MOH has TWO power supplies (each + and - voltage), one for each channel. And individually, they are quite powerful. Together is just icing on the cake.

One thing the MOH has, and you need it with hard to drive phones like the HD600's, is POWER. The MOH has the power to drive the HD600's to full capabilities. The massive low freq energy of a full symphony orchestra is well apparent with the MOH. Because of this power capability, the sound of the MOH is truly effortless. It has no problem driving the full range of freqs in any music.

My one comment on the MOH, is simply "WOW".

An item like the MOH is not cheap. But if you can afford it, listening or auditioning one is a MUST.

I simply love it.

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Depends upon my finances. I am selling some stuff to get the money. I want to keep it, just don't know yet if I can afford it. It is worth keeping, and I like it. $$$$$$$

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 5
How does it compare with your Perreaux (except for crossfeed, of course)?

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 5
The MOH totally slams the Perreaux. No comparison.
Detail is far superior, and power....well, the Perreaux is lacking compared to the MOH.

The Perreaux also has a five year warranty, but you have to send it to New Zealand for service.

MOH wins hands down.

Now the Perreaux is $500. The MOH is more expensive, but worth it, if you can afford it.

Also, I think the Perreaux is a non issue now at $500. You can get a Home for a little more. I would rather have the Home, even though I have not heard one. I would try it out at least.

Replacement now for Perreaux "shopping" is now the Gilmore and the Home.

The two power supplies in the MOH really work well with the Premium module. Makes the HD600's sing. They are different phones now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back