max out meta
Sep 22, 2002 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI: I just ordered a maxout meta from JMT. Does anyone have one if so how do you like it. I would like to use my 580s sometimes in it but will mostly be using my koss portapros in it for portability. I had the 2-9 volt cmoy amp and really liked it but when I opened it up there was not a lot of stuff inside it. Then JMT showed me some pictures of the open maxout meta and wow there was all kind of stuff in it. So any feed back on the maxed out meta would be very appreciated. Thank you.
PS
I mean sound quality
strength(power)
clearness
cleanness
and overall quality of amp.
JMT said that this is the best meta that he makes.

Sep 22, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 19
If you liked your CMoy then I think you'll really like your new META42.

JMT built a META42 for me in the following configuration:

AD8620 op-amp
Alps Blue pot
Elna Cerafine PS caps
Vishay resistors
dual stacked 2001 buffers
Cardas jacks
Biased to Class A
Locking Neutrik jack
Blue LED

I don't know if this is the maxed out version you ordered but I'm sure it's pretty close.
The sound quality is crisp and clean. Silent background. Very fast and a great build too.

I'm using the Ety ER-4S and have plugged in my HD600 a few times to try them out. These are similar to what you will be using so I think you'll have similar results. I think the limiting factor for sound quality in my setup is the PCDP. If I hooked this amp up to a high quality source who knows...You should be pleasantly surprised and happy with your new purchase.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:

I have found that I get the best sound by turning the volume down on the PCDP so that I can turn the volume up to 1/2 or 3/4 on the amp.

Sep 22, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 19
I have a Tangent-built Meta42 and I love it. The amp has great detail, bass, soundstage everything. The amp has sounded excellent with every headphone I have plugged in to it and it has driven everything cleanly and loudly. This is the configuration of my amp:

Burr-Brown OPA627
4x stacked EL2002 buffers
Alps Blue pot
ELNA Cerafines 470uF/25v
Wima MKS-2 caps
Biased to Class A
Internal Liner Power Supply
Vishay Resistors

I hope this helps.

Sep 22, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 19
Funny, I wanted to order a maxed out meta, but JMT wouldn't respond to my PMs sent about a week ago after the initial one with the price quot and options... and eric and tangent seemed to be busy
frown.gif

Maybe there's a bias toward veteran members?

/EDIT oops what a coincidence, just seconds after I posted this I got a PM from JMT
eek.gif

Sep 22, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #10 of 19
Aboogwa
HI: It took JMT 2 weeks to get to me. A lot of people want an amp built. E-Mail him again. IT seems that all 3 of the amp builders are very busy.

Sep 22, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
Aboogwa
HI: It took JMT 2 weeks to get to me. A lot of people want an amp built. E-Mail him again. IT seems that all 3 of the amp builders are very busy.

hmm... I see... Guess these DIY amps are hard to obtain..

Sep 22, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #13 of 19
You could try to build one yourself.
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Possum
You could try to build one yourself.
wink.gif

This doesn't factor in to the current situation since like to many others this is not an option for me
wink.gif
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Aboogwa
hmm... I see... Guess these DIY amps are hard to obtain..

Not at all. But you need to realize the individuals building these do it as a side line. They have day jobs and families like everyone else
biggrin.gif
It's definitely worth the wait though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back