max excursion
May 29, 2015 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

goobicii

100+ Head-Fier
how much is max excursion of Stax headphones and Audeze/Hifiman.....  SR Omega 1993,SR-009...  LCD 3,X     He 6 He 1000....

also how much surface area these headphones have?

May 30, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #2 of 4
  how much is max excursion of Stax headphones and Audeze/Hifiman.....  SR Omega 1993,SR-009...  LCD 3,X     He 6 He 1000....

also how much surface area these headphones have?

Cut to the chase - how much SPL at what low Hz can they do with say, < 1% or <10% THD?

The surface area can probably found with a tear down.  Its been a while since I had a set of Stax in my hands, but sometimes you can estimate diaphragm area with flashlight and eyeball it from the outside.

One can then science the max excursion from SPL, frequency, and area.

May 30, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 4
The excursion is of course limited by the spacer thickness. 0.5-0.6 mm approximately for pro bias Stax as I remember. The max excursion on planars is usually more

May 31, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #4 of 4
The excursion is of course limited by the spacer thickness. 0.5-0.6 mm approximately for pro bias Stax as I remember. The max excursion on planars is usually more

The trade off for both kinds of headphones is all other things being equal, thick spacer = reduced sensitivity.

Loudspeakers are in their way no different.

Transducer efficiency versus dyanmic range - a struggle as old as transducers and not just ones for audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back