Maverick TubeMagic D1 vs Fiio E17
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chimmycham

100+ Head-Fier
I recently grabbed a pair of Sennheiser HD598s. (50 Ohms)
They are incredible.

I'm just lookin to get a little more out of them.
I've had my mind set on a Fiio E17 for about a week, but recently heard about the Maverick TubeMagic D1.

I'm a guitar player, and can appreciate the difference between a Tube amp and a Solid-State. (Tube amps are exponentially better, in terms of guitar amps).

Would you guys say I would be better off with The D1 or the E17?
I could not care less about mobility, as I will be using it almost exclusively with my Macbook Pro.

If anyone could, maybe, tell me what would be different about the two, I would truly appreciate it.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 7
The D1 is tube preout only. So you would need to add another amp to take advantage of the tube. 
If you think you will need portability at all I would go with the E17. It support usb, line in, optical  and coaxial all in a neat little package. Plenty of power for the HD598 which needs very little power at all. 
You could look at the Aune T1 also if you want that tube sound, seems to be very FOTM right now, I have not heard it at all. 

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #3 of 7
Not to mention, the Maverick D1 is a piece of crap and the seller/head of Maverick is a scam artist.  I don't regret my purchases very often, but I regret buying the D1.  Avoid at all costs.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Not to mention, the Maverick D1 is a piece of crap and the seller/head of Maverick is a scam artist.  I don't regret my purchases very often, but I regret buying the D1.  Avoid at all costs.

Quote:
Can you elaborate?

Yah I would like to know more as well. As I have a D1+ and I don't have any issues with it except it being useless with lower end cans.(High gain.)

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #6 of 7
1) The package arrived with falsified customs forms saying the contents were "aluminum pipe samples" worth $50.
2) Numerous cosmetic shortcomings.
3) The button that switched between direct out and volume controlled out didn't work.
4) Background noise on the headphone jack was so much it was useless.
5) I contacted Ryan and said all of the above.
6) He said he'd give me $40 to make it right.  Also told me my headphones were "too sensitive, try lower sensitive ones."
7) I said no, want refund.
8) He said must have been damaged during shipping.
9) Good luck filing a claim with falsified customs documents.
10) Ryan ignored me from then on out.  
11) I got screwed out of $200+

Quote:
Can you elaborate?

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
1) The package arrived with falsified customs forms saying the contents were "aluminum pipe samples" worth $50.
Mine was listed as computer parts, worth 40 bucks. But to be honest my HE400 was listed as worth 10, my HD598s were listed as a gift.  I can't stand up the pipe thing but all companies do this as far as I have experienced.
2) Numerous cosmetic shortcomings.
None with the D1+. I inspected it like a crazy person.
3) The button that switched between direct out and volume controlled out didn't work.
D1+ doesn't have this feature. I won't be using powered speakers so no need for it.
4) Background noise on the headphone jack was so much it was useless.
Completely black here with both the E09K attached and without, but I don't think I have golden ears either.
5) I contacted Ryan and said all of the above.
6) He said he'd give me $40 to make it right.  Also told me my headphones were "too sensitive, try lower sensitive ones."
7) I said no, want refund.
8) He said must have been damaged during shipping.
9) Good luck filing a claim with falsified customs documents.
10) Ryan ignored me from then on out.  
11) I got screwed out of $200+

The rest is crazy and that seriously blows man I am sorry I would be pissed if it happened to me! You know you can inspect a package and refuse to sign before you inspect it? I haven't attempted it and it really annoys the driver to all hell but I watched a co-worker do it.
I could definitely understand your hate now man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back