Maverick D1 & Grado 60i
Feb 10, 2010 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

flentge

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I am new to all this and have a question before I buy headphones. I have a very small budget but here goes. I just bought the Maverick D1 DAC. Will the Grado 60i work well with that unit, or is there others that would work better in that price range. Music tastes here are classic rock type (Gov't Mule) and Jam type (Grateful Dead).

Thanks
Josh

Feb 11, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only concern I have is that the gain is apparently really high. I'm sure the 60i's will work well otherwise.

The gain isn't as bad on the current version, but a trade-up to the SR-80i would still make sense IMO.

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #4 of 8
I do thank you for your input. I do have a dumb question though. As I have said I am totally new to this. What does it mean when you say the gain is to high, and why does that affect the headphones
redface.gif

Thanks
Josh

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 8
In highly UNscientific terms, you want to be able to have good varieation in the volume levels. When you are limited to the first 10% of the volume knob's range for example, it can limit overall dynamics and affect frequency response.

Also, most of us are quite uncomfortable with having so much serious potential to permanently injure our hearing literally at our fingertips.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Hi, so is this a problem with all Grado and this unit, or is it with all headphones and this unit? If it is just Grado, can you suggest another hp in that price range that will work and will sound really good?

Thanks
Josh

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by flentge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, so is this a problem with all Grado and this unit, or is it with all headphones and this unit? If it is just Grado, can you suggest another hp in that price range that will work and will sound really good?

Thanks
Josh

I don't think it's a problem with the D1 so much anymore, as they revised the design and reduced the gain about 20% to smooth things out and improved the volume pot as well. Also, it is is a common-sense lesson learned by experience that you keep the volume low until AFTER you put your headphones on!

It's all about impedance and efficiency
wink.gif

Having said that, I thought my K701s had exceptional synergy with my D1, better than with my HD600s; I personally did not like my SR-325is out of it, but I have not tried other Grados with it and the 325is are my pickiest cans.

Your mileage may vary. I would think that the HD650s would sound pretty good out of it if they are your thing, but have not heard that combo either.

The D1 is really a surprisingly good-sounding unit, with great mod possibilities as well if you get the more recent version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back