Maverick D1 DAC vs Audinst HUD-mx1 vs E-MU 0204
Jan 12, 2012 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cssarrow

Member of the Trade: Artemis Cables
Aka: 2NE1
Aka: ArtemisCables
Aka: ryancabral
I need help choosing between the 3.

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 DAC  = $199 w/ GE 5670 Tube = $219 (does this tube do anything?)

Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC = $179

E-MU 0204 = $125

Mainly using the DAC to replace the laptops integrated sound card. Also using the DAC for a PS3, Digital Piano, Flat Screen TV, and Headphones, Speakers.

Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 (50 Ohms)
Speaker: Audioengie A5 (Built in Amp)

Help appreciated.
beyersmile.png

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 10
Dont get the Maverick.  I have not heard the others but I have the Maverick D1, and it's headphone out is very noisey.  It dose somthings well like tonal balance, sound stage etc...., but make no mistake it is very noisey.

You can easly hear a hiss when the volume knob is at 12 oclock on my HD 650s.   It dosen't matter what your music tastes are no one will enjoy a noisey amp. 

As for as the DAC part gos it dose ok, didn't notice any thing wrong with how my polk audio speakers sound with it as a DAC but I don't hear anything great out it eather. 

If I could do it over again I would of bought somthing ealse.   My advise is to strike the Maverick off your list.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 10
GRRR.

i keep narrowing my choices but then something comes up that makes me no longer want it :frowning2:

if i had a Desktop PC i would of gone with an ASUS ESSENCE STX and be done with it.

too bad....

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 10
I m getting more and more interested objective 02 

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

Do some googleing on it.  I can't post a link to dudes blog that made it, because "he who must not be named" is now banned here at Head-fi.  But I think that might be the way to go for pretty much any one.

I have not heard the thing yet still waiting for the "subjective" reviewers to give it a listen but it's priced low enough that I might just buy it.   It's got some great reviews from people around Head-fi so far.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 10
I took a leap and went with the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 DAC with GE 5670 Tube.

I went for it because it had USB bit rate of 24bit/96khz unlike all the other ones i found that only goes 16bit/44khz.

Hopefully i can get a headphone amp for cheap.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 10
I concur.  I had the Maverick, and it was by far the most regrettable and disappointing audio purchase I have ever made.  Everything said below is spot on.  And, the tube stage only works for the preamp out, not the headphones, and the effect wasn't even noticeable on my stereo system.  

Quote:
Dont get the Maverick.  I have not heard the others but I have the Maverick D1, and it's headphone out is very noisey.  It dose somthings well like tonal balance, sound stage etc...., but make no mistake it is very noisey.

You can easly hear a hiss when the volume knob is at 12 oclock on my HD 650s.   It dosen't matter what your music tastes are no one will enjoy a noisey amp. 

As for as the DAC part gos it dose ok, didn't notice any thing wrong with how my polk audio speakers sound with it as a DAC but I don't hear anything great out it eather. 

If I could do it over again I would of bought somthing ealse.   My advise is to strike the Maverick off your list.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
I concur.  I had the Maverick, and it was by far the most regrettable and disappointing audio purchase I have ever made.  Everything said below is spot on.  And, the tube stage only works for the preamp out, not the headphones, and the effect wasn't even noticeable on my stereo system.  

You really search the boards for new Mav-Audio D1 threads to tell about your bad experience, don't you? :p
I have the D1 collecting dust as well, I am not a fan of it and just keep it for memories, but in all honesty, there are far better products out there. Heck, I even find Fiio's $60 E10 better as the D1
The A1 is a far better product, but again, there's other and better, even cheaper

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 10
cssarrow, do you have a lot of music files 96khz sample rate, or just 44,1khz?
Nice feature on E-MU 0204 USB support both 44.1kHz and 48kHz multiplier with different crystal clock.
I think you may consider that this one does not perform sampling rate conversion. If you care about how how dac work.

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 10
thanks for the reply you guys

I went and upped my budget and got a Maverick Tube Magic D2 Dac instead of the D1. For Optical, it runs flawless, however on USB i get a little noise at 1-3% volume, anything over that much then the static goes away. I believe it to be from the bad quality RCA cables i am using. They aren't shielded nor gold plated and are extremely thin. Either that or the USB cable needs another ferrite core at the other end to reduce noise. Will be buying some better 3.5mm to rca male cables.

Right now perhaps 100% of my music is in 44.1 - 44.8KHz samples (can't find any 96KHz ones)

The D2 is also working at 24bit|96KHz through USB with it's tenor chip.

Here's a picture of my setup.

Works great with my PS3, Flat Screen TV through Optical Cable. Don't know how to connect my digital keyboard piano to the speakers though. Keyboard has Phones 1/4(6.3mm) output, and L/Mono & R (2 Separate) 1/4(6.3mm) output, so i have no clue what cable to get.

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 10
It's not that I search them out, but when I find them, I let my experience be known.  And here are my reasons:

First, when the package arrived, the customs declaration was falsified.  It said I ordered sample aluminum sheet metal, declared at $25.  That was a lie and very sketchy to me.

Then, when I contacted Ryan with the numerous problems my amp had, the only thing he did was offer me a $25 refund. 

So, ya, I think that business is very sketchy and others need to know about it.  Very disappointed, and I hope others can benefit from my horrid experience.

Quote:

You really search the boards for new Mav-Audio D1 threads to tell about your bad experience, don't you? :p
I have the D1 collecting dust as well, I am not a fan of it and just keep it for memories, but in all honesty, there are far better products out there. Heck, I even find Fiio's $60 E10 better as the D1
The A1 is a far better product, but again, there's other and better, even cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back