Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Tube DAC or Beresford TC-7520 (or Caiman)
Aug 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

VaSpn

100+ Head-Fier
Was wondering if anyone could advise on which of the two DAC/Amp I should get to complement my DT880 (32 ohm). Have been more a portable kind of person so this is my first DAC/Amp and am in a dilemma now of which to get (both have considerably good reviews). I heard the DT880 would fare better with tubes but am not too sure. If it helps, I'm thinking of sourcing it from an onkyo dvs-535. Cheers.

Aug 21, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
 I heard the DT880 would fare better with tubes but am not too sure. 

I can't say anything on the comaprison with the Beresford. But the headphone output of the D1 does not involve a tube stage. This is only used for the pre-out. What I can say is that the D1 has plenty of power available and is very versatile to use.

Aug 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 12
I see. Perhaps the Beresford would be a better choice in this case. The only reason i was considering the D1 in the first place is the tube (should have read up in better detail). Although the D1 has plenty of power, I'm really looking for something that fares well with lower impendence headphones, which the Beresford seem to offer (read it in couple of reviews - correct me if I'm wrong). However, I'm still wondering if this would be the best choice as a DAC/Amp solution for my DT880. Cheers.

Aug 21, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Was wondering if anyone could advise on which of the two DAC/Amp I should get to complement my DT880 (32 ohm). Have been more a portable kind of person so this is my first DAC/Amp and am in a dilemma now of which to get (both have considerably good reviews). I heard the DT880 would fare better with tubes but am not too sure. If it helps, I'm thinking of sourcing it from an onkyo dvs-535. Cheers.

I does't own both,but I do a lot of review about this two.I will advise to get 7520.because the D1 for headphone does't pass through the tube,for DAC section 7520 is more nice.for both also can drive your 880.

Aug 22, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
I does't own both,but I do a lot of review about this two.I will advise to get 7520.because the D1 for headphone does't pass through the tube,for DAC section 7520 is more nice.for both also can drive your 880.

Hi, 
Thanks for the advice. Well appreciated. Yea, I think I'll most probably get the 7520. Was wondering if the extra cash for the Caiman is worth it... if you have any advice on that. Cheers

Aug 25, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 12
i think the Caiman is batter,but i never try before...so just think only...haha

Aug 26, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
No advice on getting the Caiman? 

The TC-7520 can be upgraded to get sound close to the Caiman.  You can also get a replacment DAC chip for the TC-7520 which improves the sound quality.  I know the Caiman uses higher grade opamps but you can upgrade the units on the TC-7520.  Try the LM4562NA or the THS4032, they improve the sound on the TC-7520.  Compare the parts on the 7520 to the Caiman and add the parts in yourself may save you some cash and mod what parts you can.  Good Luck.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 12
Just me, but I wouldn't buy a DAC for a better headphone amp.  I have the D1 and only use the DAC, the amp is not good.  I've never heard the Beresford so no help there other than I think my advice would be the same, get a DAC, get a seperate amp, they are two different things.  As the Beresford seems to be over 300 US dollars I would consider the Schiit DAC as that guy designed the first stand alone DAC.  You'll spend 350 on the DAC or more (USB interface is extra) and still need an amp.  But you'll be happier in the long run.  Well I would in your shoes, and money is an object for me as I have none.  I am happy with the D1 as I wanted the tube DAC and will pair it with a Bottlehead Crack for my Xmas present to myself.  Just throwing more out for you to ponder, or not. :)

Sep 21, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 12
I've read an extensive comparison on these two somewhere as I too was wondering between them. D1 was compared to Caiman, in the end the units were said to sound on the same level with some more musicality and warmer sound on the D1 and more precise, controled, and deteailed sound on Caiman. I picked 7520 and replaced the DAC chip (quite difficult to do it yourself) along with opamps so it should be more or less on Caiman level. Headamp is of quite simple design and while it outperforms jacks in CDPs, speaker amps, and EMU-0404 I think a dedicated amp would beat it. To make it clear, it's a nice starting point but no high-end. You can stick with it and buy a dedicated amp later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back