Mav D1, Audio gd Compass, or CEntrance DACport for HD600? Need advice.
Oct 26, 2011 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

roma101

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys -

I'm totally new to amp/dacs and would like to know which of these would be the best pairing for the HD600 and which would be the best investment overall? I would ideally like to own just one versatile dac/amp for any headphone. I'm not sure if I'll have the budget to own something like the LCD-2 in the near future (looks unlikely) but you never know - could any of these drive that? Which has the most power and best SQ?

I put the DACport in there because I have read good things and it's a tempting, convenient dac/amp to get ... but does its portability/convenience factor downgrade the SQ? Meaning... am I paying for portability and will the other two amp/dacs beat the DACport in SQ or is the DACport comparable in SQ with the other desktop amp/dacs?

I am planning on powering this through usb from my Macbook using iTunes/ALAC. 

Thanks for any and all input.

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 4
In the absence of someone who knows what they're talking about...

Bear in mind I have heard only the Compass and have quickly looked up the other two.

As far as versatility goes, the DACport is out. It's USB only and cannot function separately as a DAC or amp. I was going to say I'd expect it to struggle to supply voltage, running from USB, but the website claims more than I thought possible. Regardless, a separate power supply ought to be more powerful than USB. It's not clear from the pictures whether it has a volume control or whether you're expected to control that from the computer. I'd much prefer the former. On a plus side, it supports better than CD quality. Is that important to you?

I can't advise between the Maverick and the Compass. Do you have a preference for or aversion to a tube amplifier? Scrub that, it looks as though the tube sound is selectable. Nice. Would you then have to feed it as the analogue input to get that sound through the headphone amp? Not sure. Certainly looks as though the Maverick is more versatile.

I'd say that the Compass can drive the HD600 adequately. Yes, there are better amps but I think it's pretty good. If you're seriously considering the Compass, I would also look at the Audio-gd FUN. You can get the same sound using the modules but it also has ACSS, which is supposed to be a superior technology and more neutral/faithful. ACSS applies only when used as a DAC/amp combo.

Hope that helps in some way!

Oct 26, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
In the absence of someone who knows what they're talking about...

Bear in mind I have heard only the Compass and have quickly looked up the other two.

As far as versatility goes, the DACport is out. It's USB only and cannot function separately as a DAC or amp. I was going to say I'd expect it to struggle to supply voltage, running from USB, but the website claims more than I thought possible. Regardless, a separate power supply ought to be more powerful than USB. It's not clear from the pictures whether it has a volume control or whether you're expected to control that from the computer. I'd much prefer the former. On a plus side, it supports better than CD quality. Is that important to you?

I can't advise between the Maverick and the Compass. Do you have a preference for or aversion to a tube amplifier? Scrub that, it looks as though the tube sound is selectable. Nice. Would you then have to feed it as the analogue input to get that sound through the headphone amp? Not sure. Certainly looks as though the Maverick is more versatile.

I'd say that the Compass can drive the HD600 adequately. Yes, there are better amps but I think it's pretty good. If you're seriously considering the Compass, I would also look at the Audio-gd FUN. You can get the same sound using the modules but it also has ACSS, which is supposed to be a superior technology and more neutral/faithful. ACSS applies only when used as a DAC/amp combo.

Hope that helps in some way!

Thanks for the response! Honestly, I don't know much about dac/amp combos but I know that i would only use it really with my computer (as the SQ out of the headphone out sucks) and I would use it to basically kill two birds with one stone - better SQ and enough to drive the HD600. Other than that, I don't really know that much.

I also wonder about portable amp/dacs and how they compare to the bigger desktop amp/dacs in SQ and power. That would actually suit me best as I also use a DiyMod with a P51 Mustang and I would be open to replacing it with a portable amp/dac that I can also use with my computer and harder to drive 'phones such as the HD600.

Oct 27, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 4
Just thought I'd update this and state that I'm going for a TTVJ Slim w/DAC. Makes sense as I want to keep my portable setup but have a DAC also. Hope these will drive my future HD600s well :) The amp/dac seems to be what I'm looking for. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back