Maudio Super DAC
Jun 14, 2002 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone tried this unit? I was thinking of getting an ART DI/O when I found this on audiomini.com and musiciansfriend.com.
It has a toslink in, so I wouldn't have to get a midiman CO2. I have read here that using toslink, it's good to have anti jitter in the DAC. Since I spend so much time at the puter, I wanted to get a pcdp with optical out and DAC to headphone amp.
I'd like some opinions.
thanks,
md

Jun 14, 2002 at 9:25 AM Post #2 of 7
If you spend the time with the computer, you might want to consider getting a sound card like the Audiophile 2496 ($150). I would think it provides significantly better digital (and analog) output than any PCDP. You can add a DAC if you want to improve the sound further.

But I guess if you need the portability....

Jun 14, 2002 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 7
thanks for your reply. the MAudio Super DAC is a stand alone unit; not to be confused with their sound card.
md

Jun 14, 2002 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 7
I know. I'm saying get the sound card instead of the PCDP. I don't think PCDPs make terribly great digital sources. Though I've never tried it myself...but i know that the 2496 will provide far superior analog output. Based on that, I would think the digital is not as good either (though maybe not as significant a difference). Since you don't already have a PCDP, and you spend the time in front of a computer, you could also consider getting a sound card (not to mention the 2496 is probably less than a PCDP).

Actually, I'm thinking the 2496's analog output might not be worse than a DAC + PCDP, yet cost half as much. But that might be pushing it...

Jun 14, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 7
You could also consider just using a decent portable CDP as a transport, soup up its power adaptor to a bigger, better one, and find a way to stabilize it through vibration control. Follow that up with a nice DAC, and you'll be rocking. For starters I know California Audio (calaudio.com) makes some nice, small and relatively cheap DACs.

Jun 15, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 7
Okay, I did some research on the 2496 card. 99% of the stuff flew over my head, but from what I can figure out, it provides both a digital and analog out.
markjia, I'm not sure that's what I want since I could still run the signal through a DAC. The reviewers did seem to glow about the sound.
I want a pcdp/transport>DAC>heaphone amp>cans.
At least that way, I could use the DAC on my home system also.
I guess I'll be looking for a portable with a digital out first.
Thanks for the replies,
md
Vertigo, I can't seem to get into the calaudio website.

Jun 15, 2002 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 7
Hmm...I can't seem to get into the site either. Dunno what happen there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back