Matthew Sweet-"Girlfriend" Legacy Edition
Jun 13, 2006 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

uncle b

500+ Head-Fier
A true power-pop classic, and obviously an incredible album with an incredible back story, gets the deluxe treatment that seems to be handed out to too much stuff these days. Well, "Girlfriend" certainly deserves it. The songs, the production, the performances, and ohhhh, the guitars, all INCREDIBLE.

Listening to this Legacy Edition takes me back to a time where music meant so much to so many. I swear, when I bought this album back in the summer of '91, I must have made twenty copies on Maxell XLII-S tapes for people. Difference was, back then, the people went out and actually bought the album!!! Most people I knew/know played this whole album so endlessly, they eventually had to forcibly remove it from their car, house, stereo whatever, and even then, it was done begrudingly.

Matthew Sweet toured behind this thing relentlessly, using a revolving door of guitarists: Robert Quine (RIP), Richard Lloyd, and also Ivan Julian, all NYC legends. I saw Sweet every time he came through Detroit, and he used all three of these guys on three different visits. I consider myself truly special for seeing all three play such different interpretations of the guitar work on the album.

Obviously, in my opinion, and possibly many others, Sweet never matched the scaled heights of "Girlfriend" again, but that is what happens when creating a masterpiece. Get this Legacy Edition, it also includes pretty cool demo tracks, and an alternate version of the album that has long been a collector's item that I only had a copy of on, you guessed it, a Maxell XLII-S tape.

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 17
Thanks for the heads-up. Sweet really put out a few great albums, starting with Girlfriend. Going to have to go hunt down this new release.

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 17
Yeah, nice album. One of my favorites. In fact, just mentioed it in another thread. I have the original CD and the excellent sounding Classic Records vinyl release (which sounds almost like a remix it's so much cleaner), so won't be picking up this new one, but it is a modern classic in my mind too. I remember one time way back then, cruising out onto the freeway on a Friday evening, trying to escape the big city and all the traffic and the people, and cranking the radio dial from one end to the other with nothing but dismal crap coming from the speakers, and then all of a sudden I hit on the opening of "Girlfriend" and everything was alright in the world for a few minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Yeah, nice album. One of my favorites. In fact, just mentioed it in another thread. I have the original CD and the excellent sounding Classic Records vinyl release (which sounds almost like a remix it's so much cleaner), so won't be picking up this new one, but it is a modern classic in my mind too. I remember one time way back then, cruising out onto the freeway on a Friday evening, trying to escape the big city and all the traffic and the people, and cranking the radio dial from one end to the other with nothing but dismal crap coming from the speakers, and then all of a sudden I hit on the opening of "Girlfriend" and everything was alright in the world for a few minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

Finally!
One of my all time favorite albums
biggrin.gif

How does the new one sound compared to the original release?

Davey,
What's the catalog number for the Classic Vinyl release? I'm looking on their site and can't find it.
TR

Jun 14, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Finally!
How does the new one sound compared to the original release?

TR

I also have the original cd (signed "Matthew Sweet '92", always one of my most prized rock collectibles), and this new release sounds quite a bit better, with much deeper bass, and the guitars seemed to be mixed up a little bit, sort of jumping out of the speakers...still can't play it loud enough, though (and yes, the new cd booklet still says "DON'T BE AFAID TO PLAY IT LOUD!).

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 17
uncle b, can you read the booklet and see who is credited with digital remastering?

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Davey,
What's the catalog number for the Classic Vinyl release? I'm looking on their site and can't find it.
TR

Hehehe, you're kidding, right? It's been out of print for many, many years. The number is RTH 1015. Back in those days of the early to mid 90s they had a rock arm of their label called Rock the House, so that's what it was released under. They did his next two as well, and they are both very good too, but Girlfriend was always the big one for me. Too bad they couldn't do this latest remaster with that same kind of care. From what I've seen posted over at the SH site this new one is kind of loud and compressed compared to the original, which even though pretty compressed itself still had some nice dynamics like a lot of those early 90s recordings before the heavy compression came into vogue.

http://www.classicrecs.com/newsletter/catalog.htm

They had a few others that were very nice too, like Dar Williams The Honesty Room where they went back to the analog multi-track masters and remixed it under her guidance so they could make it all analog, since the 2-track master was digital.

Jun 15, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #9 of 17
Almost picked up this CD today; I have fond memories of Matthew's Sweet's early work. He had a very different sound from other popular music in the late 70's.

I'll have to grab a copy. You people really are killing my wallet big-time. I have NO self control.

Jun 15, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Late 70's? Girlfriend came out in the early 90's! But yes, it has a somewhat retro sound to it.

Jun 16, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Late 70's? Girlfriend came out in the early 90's! But yes, it has a somewhat retro sound to it.

Hmm. Quite right. I'm confusing Matthew Sweet with somebody else, although I do have Girlfriend (on cassette--useless).

I cannot remember who I was thinking of (mystery 70's artist), and it's driving me nuts. I'll probably see the name posted in this forum one of these days, and it'll come back to me. I keep thinking it's Niles Lofgren, but that's not it either...

Memory is a highly unreliable tool.

Anway, Girlfriend is good, and I think I'll pick up the new release.

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Possibly the BAND called Sweet? You know, "Ballroom Blitz"? Their big album was released in 1975.

Nope; but I appreciate the effort to reinstate my sanity. It wasn't a similarity in name, but a similarity in sound. I can remember the first time I heard it , which was about 1977, enroute to spring break at the beach in a convertible full of girls. That probably explains why I can't remember the band--I was a little distracted
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 18, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 17
I love that album. Unfortunately, none of his other work ever measured up to it, but "Girlfriend" is great. Anyone have both the original and the remaster. The SQ of the original is pretty good but I can't help but wonder if the new one is still worth buying.

Jun 18, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
I love that album. Unfortunately, none of his other work ever measured up to it, but "Girlfriend" is great. Anyone have both the original and the remaster. The SQ of the original is pretty good but I can't help but wonder if the new one is still worth buying.

I have both the original and the remaster, IMO the latter sounds better. It is fuller sounding overall. There are also bonus tracks that were originally included on the Japanese issue, and Disc 2 was a promo-only release with demos, live tracks and more. I think the Legacy remaster is well worth it if you like the album.

On a further note, I think Sweet's two subsequent albums, "100% Fun" and "Blue Sky On Mars" are equally good, with terrific sound and production by Brendan O'Brien (Pearl Jam, STP, Springsteen, Dylan, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back