Matthew Good - 'Weapon'
Oct 27, 2002 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17
I don't know how many USA residents have heard of Matthew Good, but he's very well known in Canada and Germany. It really amazes me that there aren't many Americans who have heard his music. Anyways he's by far the most exciting and interesting musician that I've heard in my life, and I want to be able to let some of the people on Head-Fi know why I love this band so much.

Here's the video for the new single: www.matthewgood.net

And I have to let you know that although this song is pretty good, just wait for the album, because the non-singles have always been way better than the singles.

-Modena

Oct 27, 2002 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 17
By any chance, was he a member of the matthewgoodband?

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
wow i just downloaded a few songs and this is pretty damn good. Im gonna check it out some more.

Which songs have you heard? Make sure to get 'Apparitions', it's a classic.

Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
By any chance, was he a member of the matthewgoodband?

Yup, he was. MGB was composed of Matt Good, Rich Priske, Dave Genn, and Ian Browne. Dave and Ian left the band to enter other bands, and now Matt is going 'solo'.
Now Matt writes everything, both music and lyrics, plays all the guitars on the album, does vocals, keyboards, and effects. Rich Priske plays bass, and Pat Steward (formerly of The Odds) plays drums on the album.

For live shows and for videos, Christian Thor Valdson (formerly of Copyright) plays guitar, and Marc Olexson plays keyboard.

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the news! I had completely forgotten about the video, especially since RFH kicked the dirt. Like you, I'm a big fan of his music and I think it would be great for those who haven't heard of him to give him a listen.

Matt Good was the lead singer of the Matthew Good Band until they broke up last fall/winter. For his solo album, for which Weapon is a single on, he has the same bassist, but the rest are new members.

Oct 27, 2002 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena
Which songs have you heard? Make sure to get 'Apparitions', it's a classic.

Yup, he was. MGB was composed of Matt Good, Rich Priske, Dave Genn, and Ian Browne. Dave and Ian left the band to enter other bands, and now Matt is going 'solo'.
Now Matt writes everything, both music and lyrics, plays all the guitars on the album, does vocals, keyboards, and effects. Rich Priske plays bass, and Pat Steward (formerly of The Odds) plays drums on the album.

For live shows and for videos, Christian Thor Valdson (formerly of Copyright) plays guitar, and Marc Olexson plays keyboard.

Oh...i had one of their albums, it was awful. Didn't see why people were hyping it so much on a dave matthews band forum i hang out on.

Oct 27, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #8 of 17
It's called "beautiful midnight."

I gave it one listen straight through and hated it. I'm not sure if i own it any longer, i probably sold it on half.com

Oct 27, 2002 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 17
Beautiful Midnight is probably their best album, but it's downfall is that it is a slow-burn cd, sort of like Wilco's YHF. I actually listened to BM many, many times over before I really liked it.

If you still do have it, try it once more. Running for Home is a pretty likeable, deep song.

Anyways, even if you don't like it, you should try out the new song to see if you like it at all, since Matt actually likes his newer stuff but doesn't like his older songs so much.

"I've written about 900 [songs], and to be quite honest with you, 890 of them were terrible... Just my opinion..."
- Matthew Good

Oct 28, 2002 at 6:08 AM Post #10 of 17
i'm surprised americans haven't heard of Matthew Good.

hmm.....i wonder how many other canadian artists americans have never heard of....

so whos american and hasnt heard of:

Chad Kroeger (well i guess not, he was on the spiderman sdtk
rolleyes.gif
)

Nickelback

ermmm.....hmmm....actually even i dont know a lot of canadian artists or bands
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
i'm surprised americans haven't heard of Matthew Good.

hmm.....i wonder how many other canadian artists americans have never heard of....

so whos american and hasnt heard of:

Chad Kroeger (well i guess not, he was on the spiderman sdtk
rolleyes.gif
)

Nickelback

ermmm.....hmmm....actually even i dont know a lot of canadian artists or bands
frown.gif

Head-fi doesn't equal all of America's tastes in music. If you go log onto music sites for bands like Dave matthews band (www.nancies.org) you'll read countless posts and threads regarding Matthew Good and many other artists that are up and coming. I mean, how many Canadians or Europeans have heard of Howie Day? Probably not many. I just don't see what the big deal was with Matthew Good Band.

Oct 28, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #12 of 17
Well, hype and expectations aside, they were a great band, but it took years for their music to really hit me. One thing that I love about their albums is that I get a great deal of time out of them. I can listen to the album 100 times over, the first 25 times only liking five of the songs, and then all of a sudden on the 30th listen there will be a song that just hits me and seems to have a new meaning in my life. For example, I didn't even like the song "I Miss New Wave" until about a month ago, and now I love it to death. And I've heard that album at least 100 times. Call me crazy, but there's something to be said for longeivity.

Oct 28, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 17
i really dig beautiful midnight, but i bought it for $7 at best buy when it first came out, so i can't really hate it for that good (ha, pun) a price.
biggrin.gif

i love every song on it and think it's a really great album. giants is still my favorite track on it though. such awesome chorus:

when you blow out
like a dead star
it reminds me how uniform
your beautiful is..

however, them and our lady peace are about the extent of my canadian rock knowledge.

Oct 30, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #15 of 17
grinch - Matt does write some pretty great lyrics, and I think he sings them with some genuine emotion, too. For example, at the end of the song Truffle Pigs, when he sings "Jenn, I'll bring them to their knees"

I see from your info that you like Tori Amos. Check out the album 'Night Bugs' by Sarah Slean, she's from Toronto and is very, very high on my ever-changing favourite musicians list. An excellent album any way you cut it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back