Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
May 31, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #241 of 306
Matrix allows their device to be powered via USB, but gives the option of using an external supply if you want. That makes for a smaller device which is very upgrade-friendly without the need for mods like the SU-1 requires. If USB power is used, extensive filtration helps clean things up, though it still responds to better quality sources as well as tweaks. External power requirements are supposedly 6V-9V though I'm using 5V and it works perfectly. When using external power, the device completely cuts off power from the USB bus.

There has been a lot of debate on what voltage the external power supply should run. It is confusing that Matrix specifies 6V-9V when the alternative non-external power is 5V via the USB port. Why did not have a range 5V-9V or 5V-7V for example, why excluding 5V in their voltage range for the external power supply?! Is this based on electronics or marketing?

May 31, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #242 of 306
This was taken from a discussion about this from PS Audio..."
Sent an email to the Mother Ship at Matrix and here’s the response they sent back.
Hello,
Thanks for your mail.
The recommended voltage of external power supply for X-SPDIF2 is 6V.
The required voltage input range is 6-9v, 6V can work stably, and the higher voltage will turn into heat. But if above 9V may damage the device.
External power going into X-SPDIF2 will pass low noise LDO to stepped down internally to 5V...
I followed up their response with a question of whether to use 5v or 7v on an LPS1.2 since there is no option to select 6V:
“If so, that we will recommended 7V, because 5v maybe not enough to drive the device.

Just three of over 5000 comments...
"The whole flurry of posts on voltage/placebo is interesting. I first tried the SBooster at 6V then at 6.5V. 6.5 monumentally changed both the soundstage and the impact of bass notes. NOT, just kidding, I could hear no difference at all. I sure learned a lot from 1276 posts and my system is much the better."

"I agree Farad3 is exceptional - i have tried Cheap chinese LPS, Uptone LPS1.2 and Sbooster. Farad is offering best SQ and also is least polluting surrounding components.

"I used 7.5 and 9 but it barely got warm at any voltage. I used 7.5 because I couldn’t hear any difference with 9V, 7.5V or 5V."

Personally I have found no discernible audible difference when dropping my LPSU unit from 9v to7v to 6v so have left it at 6v as recommended by Matrix Audio. The case is also cooler to the touch at 6v.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #243 of 306
It's not all that uncommon to have a voltage range listed. A lot of devices technically work fine within a range, but some will stick to a certain spec just to make things less confusing for the user. For example, up until the last few years, the Intel NUC devices could use anything from 12V-19V. The newer gen units (starting with 10th gen I believe) are strictly 19V.

The benefit of allowing a range is that customers can provide their own external PSU for the X SPDIF 2, and a wider range means more options to choose from. Of course, audiophiles obsess over the differences and swear they hear changes from 7V to 7.5V or whatever. I wouldn't worry about that.

As far as excluding 5V external supplies, I suspect that probably has to do with avoiding any issues caused by poor supplies which can't output a steady 5V. If that's already the lower end of the voltage range, and a supply can only manage 4.7V or something, it may cause operational issues. They can't predict what sort of supplies people might use so they bumped up the requirement just to be on the safe side. I'm speculating here but it makes sense.

May 31, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #244 of 306
This was taken from a discussion about this from PS Audio..."
Sent an email to the Mother Ship at Matrix and here’s the response they sent back.
Hello,
Thanks for your mail.
The recommended voltage of external power supply for X-SPDIF2 is 6V.
The required voltage input range is 6-9v, 6V can work stably, and the higher voltage will turn into heat. But if above 9V may damage the device.
External power going into X-SPDIF2 will pass low noise LDO to stepped down internally to 5V...
I followed up their response with a question of whether to use 5v or 7v on an LPS1.2 since there is no option to select 6V:
“If so, that we will recommended 7V, because 5v maybe not enough to drive the device.

Just three of over 5000 comments...
"The whole flurry of posts on voltage/placebo is interesting. I first tried the SBooster at 6V then at 6.5V. 6.5 monumentally changed both the soundstage and the impact of bass notes. NOT, just kidding, I could hear no difference at all. I sure learned a lot from 1276 posts and my system is much the better."

"I agree Farad3 is exceptional - i have tried Cheap chinese LPS, Uptone LPS1.2 and Sbooster. Farad is offering best SQ and also is least polluting surrounding components.

"I used 7.5 and 9 but it barely got warm at any voltage. I used 7.5 because I couldn’t hear any difference with 9V, 7.5V or 5V."
Thank you for retrieving this info. Yes, it's been a highly commented topic, unfortunately, and Matrix confused things a bit by excluding 5V in the specs range for an external power supply. In the case of the low noise iFi iPower power supply, a very popular product, they offer 5V and then jump to 9V, which means that both products are not ideal for the Matrix: the 5V model might be borderline insufficient, and 9V one might be borderline too high.

May 31, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #245 of 306
It's not all that uncommon to have a voltage range listed. A lot of devices technically work fine within a range, but some will stick to a certain spec just to make things less confusing for the user. For example, up until the last few years, the Intel NUC devices could use anything from 12V-19V. The newer gen units (starting with 10th gen I believe) are strictly 19V.

The benefit of allowing a range is that customers can provide their own external PSU for the X SPDIF 2, and a wider range means more options to choose from. Of course, audiophiles obsess over the differences and swear they hear changes from 7V to 7.5V or whatever. I wouldn't worry about that.

As far as excluding 5V external supplies, I suspect that probably has to do with avoiding any issues caused by poor supplies which can't output a steady 5V. If that's already the lower end of the voltage range, and a supply can only manage 4.7V or something, it may cause operational issues. They can't predict what sort of supplies people might use so they bumped up the requirement just to be on the safe side. I'm speculating here but it makes sense.
I wish iFi could produce a 6V or 7V version of their iPower series power supply. Buying a very costly SOtM sPS-500 power supply, as an alternative for example, would be an overkill; and then there is strong competition from DDC units like the Gustard U18 with an internal LPS, all ready to go, at a similar price.

Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #246 of 306
Anyone else find using the X SPDIF 2 and AES to your DAC doesn't make any perceptible difference? Apparently even the creator of the Sonnet Morpheus DAC which I have said USB is the worst of the possible connection types and he recommends AES over it. I can have the DAC connected to my iMac directly with USB and the X SPDIF 2 via USB and then AES to the DAC. I can A/B with about a 2 second sound drop out. At best maybe it's a little less harsh than USB directly but I don't know if it's worth $4 let alone $400. I could certainly even just be kidding myself about that difference. I use USB power for it. At least it does what it's supposed to do I guess, but even a USB extension cable would also pass through sound.

Jun 1, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #247 of 306
Anyone else find using the X SPDIF 2 and AES to your DAC doesn't make any perceptible difference? Apparently even the creator of the Sonnet Morpheus DAC which I have said USB is the worst of the possible connection types and he recommends AES over it. I can have the DAC connected to my iMac directly with USB and the X SPDIF 2 via USB and then AES to the DAC. I can A/B with about a 2 second sound drop out. At best maybe it's a little less harsh than USB directly but I don't know if it's worth $4 let alone $400.
Hot take but yes on most devices I also hardly notice any difference. TBH.

Of course people will tell you now I2S is where the improvement is at lol

Jun 1, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #248 of 306
Hot take but yes on most devices I also hardly notice any difference. TBH.

Of course people will tell you now I2S is where the improvement is at lol
Yes, I've read that many times, but fortunately my DAC doesn't have that so isn't an option or I'd have probably thrown even more money at it. It's a good reminder to myself that if I'm perfectly happy with my set up, don't jump at spending more money on the same device just to squeeze out that 1% improvement. I'm not one of the ASR site people but I do think doing A/B quickly is a good thing to do to make sure you're not kidding yourself. I've done that with DACs and they've each been notably better and quickly sold the ones that weren't. Even despite all that I'm hoping with more burn in and time spent listening more closely I'll find a good reason to keep the Matrix.

Jun 1, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #249 of 306
My DAC (MHDT Labs Orchid) can't do I2S, but it can do coax, and that's all I've ever used with it. First it was a now-old but still good-sounding SPDIF converter (Musical Fidelity 24/192 Link) + the best coax cable I could find, the Oyaide DR-510 (silver).
  • Like every other DAC I've had here, the Orchid sounds better with signal coming from the coax input vs USB
When I dropped the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 DDC in front of the Orchid (USB power only to the Matrix), I immediately heard some positive things, mainly greater focus & clarity in the midrange on up. It's not night & day difference, but it's meaningful. There's probably more going on there but I didn't spend any before & after listening time to figure it out...just went with it.

So IMS the Matrix was an immediate sonic success. It also matters to me that this DDC can be run on USB power. Due to longtime groundloop issues in this desktop system, I've resisted powering the Matrix. If I ever banish the groundloop, one of the first things I'll do is play around with powering this device.

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #250 of 306
So IMS the Matrix was an immediate sonic success. It also matters to me that this DDC can be run on USB power. Due to longtime groundloop issues in this desktop system, I've resisted powering the Matrix. If I ever banish the groundloop, one of the first things I'll do is play around with powering this device.
So, powering it via USB results in less or no issues with groundloops?

Jun 1, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #251 of 306
So, powering it via USB results in less or no issues with groundloops?
I never tried the Matrix w/its power module. I know better than to even try.

My last 2 SPDIF converter purchases (Ideon something-or-other; and a now-discontinued Schitt product) ended up either returned or sold because of wonky behavior in the system with groundloop (neither could be powered by USB alone).

My trusty old Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 only operates by USB power and never had any issue. Same for the Matrix when powered by USB.

This groundloop has been a major PITA for years. I'm lucky that it never involves hum--just static type sparks, worse in the winter weather here (touch any metal component on the desktop & get a big zap sound through speakers or HP). I've tried so many things, none effective. Next step is to pay the electrician to re-ground the panel & change out the outlet in question for something heavier/more shielded.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #252 of 306
I never tried the Matrix w/its power module. I know better than to even try.

My last 2 SPDIF converter purchases (Ideon something-or-other; and a now-discontinued Schitt product) ended up either returned or sold because of wonky behavior in the system with groundloop (neither could be powered by USB alone).

My trusty old Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 only operates by USB power and never had any issue. Same for the Matrix.

This groundloop has been a big PITA for years. I'm lucky in that it never involves hum--just static type sparks, far worse in the winter weather here (touch any metal component on the desktop and get a big spark/zap through the speakers or HP). I've tried so many things, none effective. Next step is to pay the electrician to re-ground the panel & change out the outlet in question for something heavier/more shielded.
I would not trust these older DDC-related Schiit's products too, but if you are powering your Matrix X-SPDIF 2 via its USB port and you are not experiencing any groundloop-related issues, what makes you think that adding a good quality external PSU to it will make things worse? You seem to be very sceptical on Matrix's implementation of its external power regulator circuit.
I assume that have you tried already groundloop cancelling/filtering unit such as iFi's audio iDefender+ USB Ground Isolator and the like?

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #253 of 306
I would not trust these older DDC-related Schiit's products too, but if you are powering your Matrix X-SPDIF 2 via its USB port and you are not experiencing any groundloop-related issues, what makes you think that adding a good quality external PSU to it will make things worse? You seem to be very sceptical on Matrix's implementation of its external power regulator circuit.
I assume that have you tried already groundloop cancelling/filtering unit such as iFi's audio iDefender+ USB Ground Isolator and the like?
I haven't tried those things. I've tried other things.

I'm not skeptical in the least of Matrix' implementation of an external power device. My skepticism is reserved for my own system--which has stopped two externally-powered SPDIF converters in a row from functioning normally. That doesn't exactly seem coincidental. I feel lucky the Matrix DDC can operate via USB power alone, allowing me to get sonic benefit from it, even given my system's groundloop issues.

Later on, if I ever get the groundloop under control, you can bet I'll try the external power w/the Matrix. That's a built-in upgrade path that I appreciate having.

Jun 1, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #254 of 306
I haven't tried those things. I've tried other things.

I'm not skeptical in the least of Matrix' implementation of an external power device. My skepticism is reserved for my own system--which has stopped two externally-powered SPDIF converters in a row from functioning normally. That doesn't exactly seem coincidental. I feel lucky the Matrix DDC can operate via USB power alone, allowing me to get sonic benefit from it, even given my system's groundloop issues.

Later on, if I ever get the groundloop under control, you can bet I'll try the external power w/the Matrix. That's a built-in upgrade path that I appreciate having.
I see. In my set up, I have hum issues when sending the DAC's analog output to an OTL headphone amp only when the DAC is connected via USB to the source (a Mac Mini), so I connect my source to the DAC via optical toslink and have solved that issue. I hope that by introducing a DDC between the source and the DAC, I will get rid of the ground loop hum to my OTL amp under all circumstances.

Jun 18, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #255 of 306
xspdif_1-1200x800.png

Sorry, I totally admit that attention-grabbing headline was just there to provoke. I'm not the type to use terms like that when describing anything other than drastic improvements. As in, "My new dCS Vivaldi kills the integrated sound card I was using prior." So I'm using the wrong terminology here. Sorry.

That said, I tentatively find the Matrix device to be an improvement over the Singxer in some small ways - which is actually a pretty big compliment considering how great the SU-1 is. I'm a huge Singxer fan as you can see from my review from last year, and have been using it pretty consistently. After just a short time of extensive listening with the new X-SPDIF 2 I'm thinking I've got a new favorite.

Key Differences:
Matrix uses their usual build - CNC machined from a single piece of aluminum. If anyone's experienced the X-Sabre DAC series, or similar devices such as the Resonessence Labs Concero series, you'll know this is a step above the Singxer (which is quite nice already, mind you). Not sure how much it matters for SQ, but theoretically this thing has better shielding from EMI/RFI, as well as superior vibration reduction.

xspdif_8-1200x800.png

Matrix allows their device to be powered via USB, but gives the option of using an external supply if you want. That makes for a smaller device which is very upgrade-friendly without the need for mods like the SU-1 requires. If USB power is used, extensive filtration helps clean things up, though it still responds to better quality sources as well as tweaks. External power requirements are supposedly 6V-9V though I'm using 5V and it works perfectly. When using external power, the device completely cuts off power from the USB bus.

xspdif_5-1200x800.png
The Matrix unit is smaller and omits the BNC output, instead offering optical, AES, coax, and IIS over HDMI. This size plus the USB power option make it a lot easier for those who regularly bring gear to and from the office, or vacation home, etc. I don't know if I'd use the word "transportable" - it's still not tiny - but I'm sure some people would.

The X-SPDIF 2 uses a pair of Accusilicon femto clocks with their own dedicated ultra low noise LDO power supplies. These should be very competitive with the Crystek units in the Singxer - I'm not sure which is technically better as neither gives enough info in the datasheet. Bottom line, it's a different but equally high-quality solution.

xspdif_4-1200x800.png

The Matrix device sells for $379 which is slightly less than the Singxer. It is available from a reliable USA-based seller. I think Singxer has some good dealers at this point, but that was not the case back when I got mine - ordering from China was the only option, with the requisite shipping delays and potential communication/warranty issues.

Similarities:
Both models use the latest XMOS U208 core, augmented by proprietary FGPA processing. Both use similar Xilinx Spartan chips but obviously there could be massive differences in their respective code.

xspdif_2-1200x800.png xspdif_3-1200x800.png

Both units have IIS over HDMI which can be configured via DIP switches for different standards. In both cases, using this option allows for extreme format compatibility. I'm not sure where the SU-1 tops out these days but the Matrix does 768kHz PCM and DSD512 over IIS.

Results:
I've got a dedicated power supply for it which I'll discuss later, but for now I can say this thing sounds amazing straight from a Surface Pro 3. I'm getting the impression, however slight, of superior imaging and just a touch more weightiness. I didn't think I'd want anything more than what the SU-1 offers... but as usual with audio upgrades, once you hear it you realize you can't live without it.

More impressions and photos of my unit "in the wild" to come shortly.
Good day. I don’t have I2S technology on my system. From what I’ve read, the Matrix SPDIF 2 seems to be more aimed towards I2S. Would the digital, USB sound be better over AES, where I would be running a Mac mini via the Matrix over AES to my Metronome Le DAC? I just don’t know if the Matrix would in fact offer sonic benefits over AES??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back