Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Apr 8, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #76 of 306
Here's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while: In the "Matrix Audio Control Panel" (Windows), under the "Format" tab, what's the optimal setting for bitrate if feeding into a Holo Spring DAC thru I2S? And why?

I play mostly 44.1k/16-bit FLACs. On occasion I will upsample from the PC using HQPlayer to PCM 705k or DSD512 but to be honest when I do it's just for the hell of it.

I have never seen that matrix audio control panel on my laptop running windows 7 nor can I find it now that I have tried . .
Jriver has all the functionality and ability to modify settings that I would ever need .
How ever certain streams from the net refuse to play in anything other that of the browser window... I am not even able to see the byte rate ... That matrix control panel would come in handy for that...

Apr 14, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #79 of 306
Well, after all discussions here, I was not convinced that it is actually a Singxer SU-1 killer. Singxer has its own power supply and if you try to modificate it even a bit there's a huge difference in SQ. Someone mentioned here that Singxer is not converting DoP to Native. It is its main job after all - to accept DoP via USB and send it Native via I2S. The only advantage of Matrix X-SPDIF 2 is that it could be used only for the moment in combination with Matrix X-Sabre Pro DAC to play in synchronous mode.

May 3, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #80 of 306
Have any one tried this with Gustard X20/X22? I saw a reply on shenzhenaudio that they have not tried to test the yet.

May 10, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #81 of 306
This might be a dumb question but is it possible to connect this device straight to speakers? I'll buy a pair of Genelec 8351 speakers in the near future and was wondering if I could use Matrix with them or should I buy a separate pre-amp? Mutec 1.2 for example...

May 10, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #82 of 306
There are no dumb questions. The Matrix X-SPDIF 2 is a digital-to-digital converter. If you want to connect the Matrix to speakers directly, the speakers must be powered, have the right digital input(s) to accept a digital signal from the Matrix, an internal digital-to-analog converter, and a volume control.

May 10, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #83 of 306
There are no dumb questions. The Matrix X-SPDIF 2 is a digital-to-digital converter. If you want to connect the Matrix to speakers directly, the speakers must be powered, have the right digital input(s) to accept a digital signal from the Matrix, an internal digital-to-analog converter, and a volume control.

Thanks for your reply. Someone on a Finnish hifi-forum had used Matrix with Genelecs and said that the results were great! No reason to spend on a preamp then.

May 11, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #85 of 306
Thanks for your reply. Someone on a Finnish hifi-forum had used Matrix with Genelecs and said that the results were great! No reason to spend on a preamp then.

Matrix Audio also makes a DAC -- they were probably talking about this: http://matrix-digi.com/en/products/137/index.html (Matrix X-Sabre Pro)

Matrix X-SPDIF 2 is a USB-to-bitstream digital audio bridge. As already mentioned above, it will not work without some form of DAC to turn the bits into music -- unless the Genelecs you're talking about have an S/PDIF, TOSLINK, or AES digital input.

May 11, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #86 of 306
Matrix Audio also makes a DAC -- they were probably talking about this: http://matrix-digi.com/en/products/137/index.html (Matrix X-Sabre Pro)

Matrix X-SPDIF 2 is a USB-to-bitstream digital audio bridge. As already mentioned above, it will not work without some form of DAC to turn the bits into music -- unless the Genelecs you're talking about have an S/PDIF, TOSLINK, or AES digital input.

No, he meant X-SPDIF2. And yes, Genelecs are active speakers that contain at least AES digital input. Here's more info about them: https://www.genelec.com/8351

Jul 18, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #88 of 306
I bought it from llamaluv and used it for a couple of months. It did very well cleaning up USB from a standard PC to my DAC. I've moved on to a custom built music server with I2S out and no longer use or need the Matrix.

It’s in perfect condition, includes USB cable that ships with unit along with a 1’ HDMI cable. PM if interested, I'll make a great deal. [SOLD]

http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/158/index.html

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #89 of 306
I bought it from llamaluv and used it for a couple of months. It did very well cleaning up USB from a standard PC to my DAC. I've moved on to a custom built music server with I2S out and no longer use or need the Matrix.

It’s in perfect condition, includes USB cable that ships with unit along with a 1’ HDMI cable. PM if interested, I'll make a great deal.

http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/158/index.html
Where do you get a custom built Music server with I2S output? I am looking for such for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back