Matrix X-Sabre DAC review and impression thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #1,237 of 1,273
The Matrix Pro is actually out already. I've been discussing it as part of another thread - see HERE for a bit more. You'll have to wade through some discussion of their X-Server though.

I had an X-Sabre Pro in for a bit, just to test it out. Very, very impressive. I think you'll be hearing a lot more from happy users as they continue shipping from the pre-orders. This is a significant leap forward over the first (already very nice) X-Sabre.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #1,238 of 1,273
The Singxer sounds good with this, but I find that there is a certain signature to the various XMOS devices and to some extent the Singxer and the USB input on the X-Sabre are pretty close.

I actually prefer the Audiophilleo over the Singxer on this DAC. The Audiophilleo is old and gets a bad rap these days but it is a truly excellent device with a unique sound.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,239 of 1,273
Has anybody had hands-on experience with X-Sabre (not the Pro) vs. Quattro II? Quattro II seems to have the same DAC chip, plus display and remote. And it is cheaper and newer than X-Sabre. Thoughts?

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #1,240 of 1,273
The Audiophilleo is old and gets a bad rap these days but it is a truly excellent device

I have to agree with you there. Many self-proclaimed "experts" have trashed the Audiophilleo (especially a frequent posted who was recently banned) but imho it's still a superb device and blows most of these newer budget models away. I happen to like the Singxer more but the Audiophilleo is certainly competitive. 

Has anybody had hands-on experience with X-Sabre (not the Pro) vs. Quattro II? Quattro II seems to have the same DAC chip, plus display and remote. And it is cheaper and newer than X-Sabre. Thoughts?

Sorry, have yet to hear the Quattro II. Looks pretty nice, especially considering the price, but for whatever reason it hasn't generated much buzz around here. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #1,241 of 1,273
  Sorry, have yet to hear the Quattro II. Looks pretty nice, especially considering the price, but for whatever reason it hasn't generated much buzz around here. 

No worries. I bought myself one. From Matrix Digi USA.

http://matrix-digi-usa.com/quattro-series/quattro-II-dac

I should get it by the end of this week. Once I have the chance to listen to it for a few days (paired with Matrix HPA-3B amp I just got), I will come back here and post my impressions.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,242 of 1,273
Mar 1, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,243 of 1,273

I have to agree with you there. Many self-proclaimed "experts" have trashed the Audiophilleo (especially a frequent posted who was recently banned) but imho it's still a superb device and blows most of these newer budget models away. I happen to like the Singxer more but the Audiophilleo is certainly competitive. 

In my system the AP is the more resolving device and imparts a real sense of correctness, where the timing of everything just seems to be right on. I have never heard anything better for piano, AP just gets that resonance, timbre and sense of room space like no other. The king of imaging.

The Singxer is more fluid and musical, but as well a touch more soft in its imaging. 

One thing about external DDCs and the X-Sabre is that it seems that they raise the noise floor a bit over the internal USB interface. That famous X-Sabre blackground really only fully manifests itself over the built in USB, and I tend to prefer it over the SPDIF DDCs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back