Matrix X-Hi USB 3.0 PCIe Card
Dec 21, 2017 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BLacklWf

I agree to the terms and conditions
I'm not sure if anyone posted this already. But, this card looks very interesting to me. Too bad I don't have any empty PCIe slot. This could very well be a good contender vs Schiit Eitr.

http://store.matrix-digi.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=66

xhi_2.png
xhi_3.png

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 14
Does it come with the external power supply or is that separate? I got a KTE-SU-1 but I might pick this up too. I've always thought if a USB port is sloppy then cutting it out of the chain is better than keeping it in and trying to "fix" it.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 14
It says it has both options - either external power supply (using your own) or use the motherboard power. Being 9v, if I get it, I'd use 9v rechargeable battery pack.

Jan 8, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 14
I was always curious about a pcie card versus an unused USB 3 bus fed from motherboard. I just did my first test and the low cost Startech USB PCIE board did outperform the built in USB 3.0. One port fed my USB dac and nothing else is on any other USB port in the system. Difference was audible but really subtle. Not sure I would spend $$ on PCIE cards when bigger sound quality difference await when you get the music files OFF the playback computer and fed via Ethernet.

And in my HP setup it is quite cheap. Older PC with ext USB storage (as server) and monitor with Ethernet Switch and cable all for under $200, not counting the storage.

Apr 15, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 14
I have to remove my wife adapter if in order to try it.

When I removed my wife adapter, a nagging source of omnipresent background noise was instantly eliminated! As an added bonus, I can now run wires anywhere I want.

Also still waiting for reviews on the X-Hi USB 3.0.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 14
When I removed my wife adapter, a nagging source of omnipresent background noise was instantly eliminated! As an added bonus, I can now run wires anywhere I want.

Also still waiting for reviews on the X-Hi USB 3.0.

That's nice. It's a substantial work for me to connect through the wire. Hope to hear your review soon.

Oct 27, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 14
IMG_2685.JPG

Is this much better than the motherboard's USB port? Depends on what your expectations are. It definitely gives me a piece of mind knowing that the audio signals are on a dedicated channel. The music does seem less digital and more analogue sounding. Not by much, but one obvious difference are the highs are sounding less harsh/sibilant.

For $180, it is cheaper than other "audiophile" PCI-E solutions. Sure they could be better, but a little too pricey imo just for sending binary signals.

Worth a try without breaking the bank. But don't expect miracles though, afterall it is just 101010s.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #12 of 14
Any new impressions? IMHO this is an excellent solution for DIY servers (if you serve via USB). Of course you can add an Eitr after it if SPDIF is needed.
However, in a server IMHO there is a sonic advantage in connecting the HDD via PCIe and the USB out also via PCIe with external PSU and disable on-board USB from BIOS.

May 30, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 14
I have this in use since Q3 2018. Power source being the PC and not an external supply. It feeds the Matrix mini-i pro 2S. Typically, 97% connected to the Oppo PM-2, rarely, 2% to the HE 560, very rarely 1% to the HEKV2. The difference is (very) subtle. It seems to make the sound rounder without cutting off details. I also tend to get a tick of more defined separation. No changes to the soundstage or dynamics to me.

The mini-i pro 2S is a true champion, imho. And running the entire chain with Matrix Audio gives me piece of mind, hence my purchase.

Is it worth the purchase? It depends on your budget, probably not since the improvements are very small. On the other hands, I had spent 130€ sillier on a weekend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back