Matrix X-Hi USB 3.0 PCIe Card

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by BLacklWf, Dec 21, 2017.
  1. BLacklWf
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  2. Walderstorn
    Definitely something that i want to look at. Waiting for reviews.

3. BLacklWf
    Sadly, I don't have an empty PCIe slot. I have to remove my wife adapter if in order to try it.. But, still very tempting.

4. Walderstorn
    Their problem is that the Eitr is the same price and it's already well established, i won't even talk about being an extra box laying around.

5. BLacklWf
    Yeah, looks like Matrix is not sending it to any of head-fi reviewers. I could email them for a sample for a review if they are interested.

6. jdev
    Does it come with the external power supply or is that separate? I got a KTE-SU-1 but I might pick this up too. I've always thought if a USB port is sloppy then cutting it out of the chain is better than keeping it in and trying to "fix" it.

7. BLacklWf
    It says it has both options - either external power supply (using your own) or use the motherboard power. Being 9v, if I get it, I'd use 9v rechargeable battery pack.

8. bixby
    I was always curious about a pcie card versus an unused USB 3 bus fed from motherboard. I just did my first test and the low cost Startech USB PCIE board did outperform the built in USB 3.0. One port fed my USB dac and nothing else is on any other USB port in the system. Difference was audible but really subtle. Not sure I would spend $$ on PCIE cards when bigger sound quality difference await when you get the music files OFF the playback computer and fed via Ethernet.

And in my HP setup it is quite cheap. Older PC with ext USB storage (as server) and monitor with Ethernet Switch and cable all for under $200, not counting the storage.

9. spatbe
    When I removed my wife adapter, a nagging source of omnipresent background noise was instantly eliminated! As an added bonus, I can now run wires anywhere I want.

Also still waiting for reviews on the X-Hi USB 3.0.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  10. BLacklWf
    That's nice. It's a substantial work for me to connect through the wire. Hope to hear your review soon.