Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions?
Feb 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #76 of 289
Resample the original source file. For instance taking a redbook CD which is 16bit 44.1kHz and upsampling it via software to DSD128 5.6MHz. This is easily done in JRiver MC19, which I use. There are addons for some of the other popular players to do this, but I'm not sure if they all are able to resample to DSD, they may stop at 192kHz or 352.8/384kHz.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #78 of 289
Thanks, WL. I was wondering why the views were so high.

--

By the way, I wanted to mention this but felt the review was not really the place. Something Matrix needs to work on is gray market protection as there are currently many sources for Matrix products in North America but there are actually only two legitimate sources that will honor the warranty. These two places are Grant Fidelity in Canada and Matrix-Digi-USA in the United States. Usually the gray market sources are cheaper, but not by much, and IMO there is too much risk to save a few bucks. For instance my Mini-I Pro that arrived with an only partially working USB input. If I had bought from the gray market I would be subject to the store's policies and possibly screwed.

This applies to all Matrix products, of course. Arthur of Matrix USA has told me about the many times he's been asked for warranty help from a gray market sale and has had to turn them down.

If you are buying Matrix please try to use the official branch in your part of the world. These distributors work on very small margins, but make it possible to have 'local' support to handle returns, repairs, exchanges without you having to deal with China directly. They also provide driver assistance and troubleshooting in a language you can understand.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #79 of 289
Resample the original source file. For instance taking a redbook CD which is 16bit 44.1kHz and upsampling it via software to DSD128 5.6MHz. This is easily done in JRiver MC19, which I use. There are addons for some of the other popular players to do this, but I'm not sure if they all are able to resample to DSD, they may stop at 192kHz or 352.8/384kHz.

Gotcha. Thanks again Maxvla.

Feb 25, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #80 of 289
That review was perfect. I only wish that the Mini I paired better with the HD800. I have been planning on buying the M Stage for my new HD800s and the Mini I just looks so much nicer, but seems the M Stage remains one of the best low budget options.

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #81 of 289
  That review was perfect. I only wish that the Mini I paired better with the HD800. I have been planning on buying the M Stage for my new HD800s and the Mini I just looks so much nicer, but seems the M Stage remains one of the best low budget options.

It pairs with my HD600 beautifully - if that's any help!

Feb 25, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #84 of 289
It isn't that I don't like them, they feel like a step up from the DT880s I had, just I feel a little fatigued when listening to certain music due to the highs. I want to try them with a more appropriate (albeit budget conscious) amp before making a decision on whether to keep them.

I know I could use the Mini - i Pro, but based on Maxvla's review it seems the m stage is still a superior amp so I feel like that is the way to go to give the HD800s a fair shake :)

Feb 27, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #85 of 289
Sorry for the dumb question... can you have both XLR and RCA analog outputs plugged into different amps at the same time and both controlled by volume control?  I am asking because I am considering this for a new stereo setup where I would have the balanced out going to a power amp for a pair of small speakers and the RCA outs each going to a powered subwoofer, for a stereo pair of subs located by each monitor speaker.

Any more thoughts on where the DAC stands in terms of other DACs?  Hoping to get a better handle on looking at this just from a digital preamp perspective, treating the headphone amp as a nice bonus.

Feb 27, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #86 of 289
Both RCA and XLR are hot but remember output voltage is different, so I don't think that will work for you.

Feb 27, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #87 of 289
Yeah, I hear a variety of conflicting advice about the issue of going pro level vs consumer level between electronics... but I guess worst case scenario I could run RCA output to a consumer power amp, and XLR to a pro level powered sub, I think that would work fine so long as having both outputs active concurrently does not diminish the quality and dynamics of the analog signals leaving the Mini-i Pro.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #88 of 289
I am not a can man so I have not tried the headphone section. I am using my mini-pro with Job 225 amp and Zellaton speakers. I have no complaints. I love the built of this unit, and the overall sound.

Feb 28, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #89 of 289
Has anyone tried this with Fostex T50RP? Mine are stock except some Shure pads. I've been considering the Mini I Pro but have forced myself to hold off. The other option is to try Focal Spirit Pro. Based on the reviews I think I'd like the Spirit Pro and I can get a good price on them. It will be for my office setup so I am hesitant to drop $520 on the Matrix but it has all of the features I really want. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back