Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Jan 30, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #902 of 1,055
I had mixed results with the Ultrasones that I tried, and I've never tried Beyers with it. Mixed results with low impedance headphones in general, but the Mini-i sounds great with my HD600. I mainly use external amps with it though.

It could depend on what the ohm rating of your Beyers is, 300 ohms may be best. Agreed about the USB converter if your computer doesn't have coax/optical as the USB input is limited.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #903 of 1,055
I've tried optical from MB to Mini-i, sound really bad. it's become flat and soundstage smaller.

I changing to USB/spdif converter w/Wireworld Starlight USB cable, day/night different. (Chip:Tenor 7022L)

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #904 of 1,055
Palchiu,

Where could I get some cords like this?

I seem to be making this more difficult than it really is... Should be a simple setup to my Marantz or my PC, whichever I prefer!

Thanks again!
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #905 of 1,055

Quote:
I had mixed results with the Ultrasones that I tried, and I've never tried Beyers with it. Mixed results with low impedance headphones in general, but the Mini-i sounds great with my HD600. I mainly use external amps with it though.

It could depend on what the ohm rating of your Beyers is, 300 ohms may be best. Agreed about the USB converter if your computer doesn't have coax/optical as the USB input is limited.

I seem to get mixed opinions with the Ultrasones as well... My Beyers are 250ohm... I should be covered one would think.

Thanks!

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #906 of 1,055
Agreed... one would think. That's what I mean btw (250 ohms), I just forgot what the "middle" Beyer was rated at.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #907 of 1,055

Quote:
Palchiu,

Where could I get some cords like this?

I seem to be making this more difficult than it really is... Should be a simple setup to my Marantz or my PC, whichever I prefer!

Thanks again!
biggrin.gif

I got my USB converter from a DIY kits provider in my country.

I put it in a small plastic box and soldered with a BNC connector, it's powered from USB and total parts just costs me under $35.

Wireworld Starlight(Red) USB cables are easy to found, it's better than other Japanese brand's USB cable @similar price(even more expansive) that I've tried before.

Also Cardas's Clear USB cable could be another choice, my friend has one and told me it's good but I've try yet.

I've got another similar price cable "Transparent Performance USB cable" and just starting burning it, I saw Wadia guys from Wadia's forum say that is nice.

Coaxial cables I'm using is Belden 1694A w/BNC@both end from Bluejeanscable, cheap and performance.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #908 of 1,055
Okay so, im still wanting this DAC, recently received the FiiO E17 which I use as a DAC for my MStage, it sounds far better than the E7, now I am wondering how much better is the Mini-I to the E17? (I know its portable vs desktop!)

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #909 of 1,055
I have both the Matrix Mini-i and the FiiO E17 but use them for different purposes.  The Mini-i is more open, airy and overall more enjoyable.  The Mini-i is part of my main office system and the E17 is for use with my MacBookAir around the house. Love them both but if I just had to choose one, it would be the Mini-i. YMMV.

Quote:
Okay so, im still wanting this DAC, recently received the FiiO E17 which I use as a DAC for my MStage, it sounds far better than the E7, now I am wondering how much better is the Mini-I to the E17? (I know its portable vs desktop!)

Feb 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #910 of 1,055
I thought the E17 was not released yet.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #911 of 1,055

Quote:
I have both the Matrix Mini-i and the FiiO E17 but use them for different purposes.  The Mini-i is more open, airy and overall more enjoyable.  The Mini-i is part of my main office system and the E17 is for use with my MacBookAir around the house. Love them both but if I just had to choose one, it would be the Mini-i. YMMV.

Is the difference noticeable? Like Night and day difference? The MStage and Mini-I are said to be a great combo so it should sound good anyway, once I get that I'll probably stop buying any more DACs or Amps as I would no longer would need to do, so it would be a great investment
biggrin.gif
. (So I say anyway.. :wink: )

Quote:
I thought the E17 was not released yet.

Where have you been 
blink.gif
, check out the forum , http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/ 
Many people have the E17 already, its not officially out, rather a Pre-Order , Batch 1 was first out and about a month after the Batch 2 (about to ship or already has been?).
Where as I have the Batch 1 , probably one of the few hundred that have the E17 now..

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #912 of 1,055
Ah - thanks. I had only seen pre-order information - not that there had been any actually delivered yet. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #913 of 1,055
Tough question. For me to really answer that, I'd need a separate amp but I don't have one.  Assuming that the amps are about equal on the Mini-i and E17, I would say no, not a night and day difference.  I flipped back and forth between the E17 & Mini-i with a couple of songs and here's what I found with the HD650's
- the Mini-i is a little more open, airy with a little better soundstage
- the E17 has a little more punch but the bass is not as tight and clean
- mids and highs are pretty close between the two with the edge going to the Mini-i
Pretty much the same results with the v-Moda M-80's.

Honestly,  I could live with either so not a night and day difference.  My preference is the Mini-i by an edge but the E17 is surprisingly good.

If you really want to move up the chain with a DAC, my PS Audio DL III absolutely smokes the Mini-i.  Haven't tried it with headphones but in my main A/V system with Martin Logan speakers and 15 series Rotel gear, I found the Mini-i unlistenable compared to the DL III.

Quote:
Is the difference noticeable? Like Night and day difference? The MStage and Mini-I are said to be a great combo so it should sound good anyway, once I get that I'll probably stop buying any more DACs or Amps as I would no longer would need to do, so it would be a great investment
biggrin.gif
. (So I say anyway.. :wink: )

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #914 of 1,055

Quote:
........PS Audio DL III absolutely smokes the Mini-i.  Haven't tried it with headphones but in my main A/V system with Martin Logan speakers and 15 series Rotel gear, I found the Mini-i unlistenable compared to the DL III......  

Awwww dude, don't say that. Especially now that I have a tax refund coming my way:)

I looked into the DLIII but needed a pre-amp built in as well, which the Mini I has. The PS audio stuff garners great respect in most audio forums. Their digital Lens is still a highly sought after jitter device yet it is over 10 years old. I wanted one.

PA

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #915 of 1,055
Currently burning in my Matrix mini-i, it has clocked around 50hours so far
biggrin.gif

With the 4 digital inputs available, i'm currently using toslink connected to my Acer 3820tg.
I have a musiland monitor 01 usd as well for future use in case my next laptop will not have spdif connection.

Now, with the 3 other inputs, the USB is the least favorable as it has 48khz limit. Having read the aes/ebu input, i'm about to consider the Stello U3 converter. Has anyone used it before?
As an alternative, to satisfy my curiousity, i have ordered this cable from Monoprice.com:

So i will test, all 4 inputs:
toslink - direct from my laptop
aes/ebu - thru musiland monitor o1 usd
bnc - same as above
usb - direct from my laptop

this coaxial cable from monoprice will be used as well:

and this USB cable:

with this power plug:

i'll be using the same laptop with the same files to rule out source impact. 
Yes i have done a serious shopping of cables from monoprice lately
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Should i be expecting significant difference from toslink, coaxial or aes/ebu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back