Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Feb 6, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #631 of 1,055
A couple questions about this unit:

1. How does this sound DAC-wise to the HDP or Pico DAC?
2. If I have a pair of self-powered speakers that do not have volume control, and also a headphone amp that the other outputs go to, can I have one of the outputs be fixed and the other output be variable? This way, I could control the speaker's volume through the matrix, while not adjusting the volume of it going to the headphone amp.

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #632 of 1,055

Quote:
2. If I have a pair of self-powered speakers that do not have volume control, and also a headphone amp that the other outputs go to, can I have one of the outputs be fixed and the other output be variable? This way, I could control the speaker's volume through the matrix, while not adjusting the volume of it going to the headphone amp.

Changeability and fixation can be set. 
At PRE-MODE, the analog output becomes changeable. 

Manual is here. 
http://www.matrix-digi.com/english/fwzc.asp

Feb 7, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #633 of 1,055
So this means that both outputs can either be variable or fixed, but not one fixed and one variable right?

I would want to plug the variable one directly to my speakers, then the fixed one to my headphone amp. This way, when music plays I can put the volume to 0 on my variable so the speakers don't play and yet the headphones will play.

Either that or I would want only one output to be on at a time- and I'm guessing that cannot happen right?

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #634 of 1,055

Quote:
So this means that both outputs can either be variable or fixed, but not one fixed and one variable right?

Exactly. The Power on sequence that T.IIZUKA described determines the character of the whole unit. The Matrix mini I can either be a straight DAC (fixed) or a headphone amp (variable.) Never both. 

By the way, T.IIZUKA, I am most jealous of your self made blue label matrix. Any plans to replace the transformer?

PA

Feb 7, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #635 of 1,055

Quote:
By the way, T.IIZUKA, I am most jealous of your self made blue label matrix. Any plans to replace the transformer?

PA

I just want a toroidal transformer.
Tough pitch copper is enough.
OFC is dread.
eek.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #637 of 1,055
Hi.

I have some communication problems with the seller of my Matrix mini-i. I was wondering if someone could write that I mean in chinese.

I've tried to send him lots of mail and only get reply about the tracking.

Here's the message:
I need to get a new Matrix mini-i, because mine is broken. I've tested it for a couple of hours, when it suddenly stopped working. I've tried all the instructions, and it also smell a little burned. I'm hoping you could send me a new one, and that I can return the old one when the new is recieved. I also hope you could cover my postage fee that would be around 70$.

Best regards
Bjørnar Brandvik

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #638 of 1,055
Not from me.

Quote:
Hi.

I have some communication problems with the seller of my Matrix mini-i. I was wondering if someone could write that I mean in chinese.

I've tried to send him lots of mail and only get reply about the tracking.

Here's the message:
I need to get a new Matrix mini-i, because mine is broken. I've tested it for a couple of hours, when it suddenly stopped working. I've tried all the instructions, and it also smell a little burned. I'm hoping you could send me a new one, and that I can return the old one when the new is recieved. I also hope you could cover my postage fee that would be around 70$.

Best regards
Bjørnar Brandvik

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #641 of 1,055
I also get the No Sample error all the time. 
Mine works perfectly, but if im turning on/off my speakers (xlr), or even just a light (!), I get the No Sample error.
And to clear it, its not enough turning the matrix off, I need to unplug/plug the USB to get it going again. 
But serioussly, turning on a damn light? So im guessing ripple gets through, how is this not filtered in the power stage? Or does it get in through the usb?

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #642 of 1,055

Quote:
I also get the No Sample error all the time. 
Mine works perfectly, but if im turning on/off my speakers (xlr), or even just a light (!), I get the No Sample error.
And to clear it, its not enough turning the matrix off, I need to unplug/plug the USB to get it going again. 
But serioussly, turning on a damn light? So im guessing ripple gets through, how is this not filtered in the power stage? Or does it get in through the usb?

That sounds really weird. Finally I will recieve a new Mini-i too ;D Maybe the voltage on the USB-ports are too high or something? Reply to me when you have found out the reason why the mini-i does that  :)

Mar 6, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #643 of 1,055

Quote:

2xPCM1795 for each channel!

USB accept 192k input, and can upsampling!

@ T.IIzuka

Why not go all out and use the PCM1792? 
tongue.gif
  Is the PCM1795 better than the PCM1796? I have the 1796 in my SACD, DVD-A player and it sounds exceptional.

Last question...are there any electronic parts you didn't swap/replace and how much did the mod cost not counting labor?

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #644 of 1,055

Quote:

@ T.IIzuka

Why not go all out and use the PCM1792? 
tongue.gif
  Is the PCM1795 better than the PCM1796? I have the 1796 in my SACD, DVD-A player and it sounds exceptional.

Last question...are there any electronic parts you didn't swap/replace and how much did the mod cost not counting labor?

PCM1796 is installed in my CD player.  (CEC CD3300R)

DAC is variously tried. 
I like sound of AD1955. 

Remodeling to MATRIX is continuing now. 
A part of the power supply maked a change of the other day. 

Time and cost hang. It is made not to calculate. :p

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #645 of 1,055
Hi,

I have one of these and when I send a dts/ac3 signal to it it does not mute the analogue outs so I get hissing through my speakers on my stereo amp.

The dts/ac3 signal does pass-thru OK and my av receiver gets it OK but unless I have set my stereo amp to home theatre mode so it is effectively a power amp and getting its signal from the av receiver as above hiss through my speakers.

Is this correct should it not mute the analogue outs when receiving a dts/ac3 signal?

It does this either it pre or dac mode.

Firmware 1.21

Thanx
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back