Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Oct 31, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3,181 of 5,176
Oct 31, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3,182 of 5,176
Quote:
Of course, M-stage is relatively cheap amp, but... I just wanted to differentiate the generic/cheap and DIY/quality/relatively more expensive cables, which make an audible difference. You can't build a quality cable for $5 after all. Both the interconnects and power cables can make an audible difference with this amp!

Seriously, if you want to debate cables in this thread WRT the Matrix M, well, why not?
Go for it!

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #3,183 of 5,176
Quote:

No, that's an audiophile myth: There is no break-in time for capacitors or op-amps. Any Electrical Engineer can confirm this.

Really? I'm an electrical engineer, and I believe different, stop acting like your opinion is absolute.  The only difference between a fact and an opinion is facts can be proven and disproven, and they are all the time. Science is based on measurements and logic. And it's not etched in stone. I respect your opinion, but please don't try to pound it in like it's the last word. 

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #3,184 of 5,176
Quote:

I'm not really a burn in believer so I will say burn in is approx. 1/2 hour, long enough to let the Matrix warm up!

Cables like that are good enough for the Matrix, it is NOT an ultra, hyper, super revealing amp.

That's about right in my opinion, burn in is very short time period. Let it warm up good the first time you use it, and why not five minutes or so in the following uses.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #3,185 of 5,176
Burn-in probably isn't the best term when talking about amps.  When people hear "burn-in" they think your saying it needs many hours of running time before it will sound correct.

A better term for amps/caps/etc. would just be "warm up", meaning it just needs a very short time to literally warm up.

Oct 31, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #3,186 of 5,176
Quote:
Burn-in probably isn't the best term when talking about amps.  When people hear "burn-in" they think your saying it needs many hours of running time before it will sound correct.

A better term for amps/caps/etc. would just be "warm up", meaning it just needs a very short time to literally warm up.

My advice is to put it in the microwave oven and give 'er a blast for 30 seconds! Then power it up and listen!
wink_face.gif

(and that was a joke! PLEASE! do not do this!)

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #3,188 of 5,176
Quote:

My advice is to put it in the microwave oven and give 'er a blast for 30 seconds! Then power it up and listen!
wink_face.gif

(and that was a joke! PLEASE! do not do this!)

*puts M-stage in microwave and closes door...*

- wait, WHAT?!

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,189 of 5,176
Quote:
eally? I'm an electrical engineer, and I believe different, stop acting like your opinion is absolute. The only difference between a fact and an opinion is facts can be proven and disproven, and they are all the time. Science is based on measurements and logic. And it's not etched in stone. I respect your opinion, but please don't try to pound it in like it's the last word. 

You're correct. I stated an absolute when such absolutes are for suitable only for undergraduate texts.

Here's what I should have said: Essentially none the claims (made here) of audible and gradual break-in for electronics such as the M-Stage appear to have any explanation other than psycho-acoustic effects.

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3,190 of 5,176
Quote:
You're correct. I stated an absolute when such absolutes are for suitable only for undergraduate texts.

Here's what I should have said: Essentially none the claims (made here) of audible and gradual break-in for electronics such as the M-Stage appear to have any explanation other than psycho-acoustic effects.

Oh, there are plenty of alternate explanations.  I think you're talking about plausible ones.  
wink_face.gif

Okay, we all know that some of the components, especially aluminum electrolytic capacitors, may change a bit over time (and non-trivially for the capacitors), and characteristics vary a little bit by temperature.  Arguing that these kinds of differences amount to much in terms of the output signal for a design like that... that's a tougher sell, particularly if you expect the differences in sound to follow the usage patterns and trends that are described by listeners.

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #3,191 of 5,176
Quote:

Seriously, if you want to debate cables in this thread WRT the Matrix M, well, why not?
Go for it!

Just wanted to tell you guys that with quality cables the M-Stage sounds even better, that's it.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #3,193 of 5,176
Quote:

Care to explain physics? Undergraduate? I'm 52 and have 3 degrees.  Ignoring your foolishness is my best bet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back