Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 26, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3,062 of 5,176
Sure enough, even on Tam's site the standard (not USB, no opamp mod) version shows no side vents. I wish he would get his act together. I can't tell if I am buying a new version or not.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #3,063 of 5,176
Quote:
Sure enough, even on Tam's site the standard (not USB, no opamp mod) version shows no side vents. I wish he would get his act together. I can't tell if I am buying a new version or not.

Have you tried e-mailing him?

The first thing listed under the features is "latest version".  

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #3,064 of 5,176
Quote:

Although the pages at Tam Audio seem to describe the new version, I think those photos are the manufacturer's stock images: http://www.matrix-digi.com/english/cpshow.asp?pid=7 Images show vents. I don't know what I was thinking.

I think Tam would be better served by using up-to-date photos (if the problem is just out-of-date photos.)

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #3,065 of 5,176
I did try emailing him and am waiting for a reply. I was just hoping someone could put things to rest for me. I know I have been beating this issue but for over $250 and shipping from China, I am not looking forward to having to deal with any sort of return/exchange issues.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3,066 of 5,176
Quote:
Is Tam Audio still in business?

I was nearly ready to buy an M-Stage, but now their eBay store and web site say they're "reorganizing" and will be back on 24 August (i.e., yesterday). While the amp isn't that expensive, I'd want a major discount before I'd buy if they're actually kaput.

Finally, what's the relationship between Tam and matrixelectronics.net? Matrix Electronics' web site claims they have 768 in stock.

I have an order with him waiting for fulfillment. He emailed me saying he was on vacation until about today. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for quick shipping.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3,067 of 5,176
Quote:

I have an order with him waiting for fulfillment. He emailed me saying he was on vacation until about today. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for quick shipping.

The site came back Saturday or Sunday. I ordered a dual-analog (i.e., non-USB) M-Stage last night. Plus the Burr Brown OPA627AP with Class A Biasing Mod. Plus the NS LM4562NA.

I'm already impatient.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #3,068 of 5,176
Quote:

The site came back Saturday or Sunday. I ordered a dual-analog (i.e., non-USB) M-Stage last night. Plus the Burr Brown OPA627AP with Class A Biasing Mod. Plus the NS LM4562NA.

I'm already impatient.

I'm sorry, but what is a dual analog M-Stage? Do you mean the standard M-Stage? What is "dual" about it?

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #3,069 of 5,176
It has two rca inputs instead of one rca and one usb on the usb version.
Quote:

I'm sorry, but what is a dual analog M-Stage? Do you mean the standard M-Stage? What is "dual" about it?

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #3,071 of 5,176
Quote:
It has two rca inputs instead of one rca and one usb on the usb version.

I sold my USB M-Stage after I bought the M-Stage DAC. Now I have the analog M-Stage paired with the DAC.

Now my combined inputs are (3 digital on the DAC) Coaxial, Optical, USB and (1 extra out of 2 analogs on the amp) RCA.

If I used the DAC with the USB M-Stage I'd only have digital inputs available (DAC interconnects with the only available analog input).

So if you don't intend on buying a dedicated DAC, then the M-Stage with USB can be a handy and simple solution.

Otherwise, find your own uDAC and give yourself an extra analog input.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #3,072 of 5,176
Quote:

I'm already impatient.

Don't get shocked if your packaging isn't marvellous!

The first item I received took 2 weeks (to Australia) from Tam Audio, being the M-Stage DAC, he had taped the shipping slip to the original box and shipped it like that! I ended up with the original box bashed in and covered in tape and shipping stickers. I'm surprised the DAC came unharmed.

Now after 4 weeks, I've received my OPA627AP's from Tam audio, and this time the item was pinned into a single piece of styrophome with the exposed op-amp's being covered with a single piece of packing tape, and put inside a standard envelope. Again somewhat shocked the item was damaged in some way. A little bit of bubble wrap and an extra piece of styrophome could've gone a long way. I've pulled the tape off the op-amps, having to remove the adhesive residue the tape had left there.

Honestly, I wouldn't say that Tam is the cheapest seller for these Chinese products. He should probably pick up the slack at these prices in my opinion.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #3,073 of 5,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephsart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So if you don't intend on buying a dedicated DAC, then the M-Stage with USB can be a handy and simple solution.

Otherwise, find your own uDAC and give yourself an extra analog input.

I want a dedicated analog input for my BD player. Having two analog inputs will allow me to connect my laptop, immediately, while I spend another month or two reading DAC reviews. I couldn't find any other amp like that for under US$100 -- my original price limit -- or under $200. When I started looking at $300 amps, the M-Stage had all that and more.

However, I only have one good pair of headphones and I need another for the office. This time, I'm working my way downward, not upward, in price. I ruled out the Sennheiser HD 800 last week. It's more than I can bring myself to spend.

Darned audio equipment! It brainwashes me while I sleep and then empties my wallet for me.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3,074 of 5,176
After reading every review I could find (and reading this thread from start to finish twice), this is why I ordered the M-Stage amp without hearing it.

It had design features I really want.

1. Metal (not plastic) case
  2. No batteries
  3. Inputs on the rear panel (not the front panel)
  4. Headphone output on the front panel (not the rear panel)
  5. Controls on the front panel (not the top panel)
  6. Dual analog inputs selectable from the front panel
  7. Selectable gain

It includes these nice-to-have features.

1. Op-amp installed in a DIP socket(!)
  2. 1/4" headphone jack
  3. Internal power supply (no wall-wart)
  4. Line-out (on the rear panel)
  5. Available in black (or silver)

It has these negatives which weren't enough to keep me from ordering.

1. Vendor in China
  2. 5-Ohm output impedance
  3. 11" deep

All that's left is to listen to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back