Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 23, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #3,046 of 5,176
Quote:
This looks like it could be based on the BCL/M-Stage design.

Indeed, they use SMD opamp wich is a downside.

I bet they put a smd OPA2604 on the 701 flavored amp. 
wink.gif

PS: search for "purepiper" on ebay to see the other models. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3,047 of 5,176
But it is an upside that they used SMD components around the opamp.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #3,048 of 5,176
Quote:
Geez, The MATRIX Mini-Portable DAC costs alot , $349.99? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATRIX-Mini-Portable-DAC-24bit-192KHz-Portable-Amplifier-Decoder-AMP-DAC-NEW-/110920167703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d35b7117

Where as the MATRIX MSTAGE DAC costs far less at $289.99, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matrix-M-stage-Decoder-PCM1792-Audio-DAC-NEW-Version-Decoder-/110937042130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d45cecd2

Whats better the Matrix MSTAGE DAC or the Matrix Mini-I ? As I have always considered using the MINI-I as a DAC but seeing as they made a MSTAGE DAC now, that could be an option in the future..

I put in my impressions on the M-Stage DAC on this post.

I'm kinda new at this, but I hope it helps!

dt880smile.png

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #3,050 of 5,176
Quote:
I am looking to purchase a M-Stage, probably used. Can anyone tell me how I can identify the latest version/revision? I don't want to get an outdated version.

Thanks.

Look for side vents. Old version doesn't have em.

Although they seem to be reviewing the new version here, they have a pic of the old version with no side vents. http://www.headfonia.com/matrix-m-stage/

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #3,051 of 5,176
Wow thanks for the feedback but I am confused. Even Coolfungadget (Tam Audio), is selling the version without vents. As far as I know, Tam is the "official" or main distributor. Why is the Headfishop the only people with the new version? Is it just a cosmetic change? My main concern is I want the latest hardware and along with it any fixes or tweaks that were done to improve it. In short - I want the most up to date/latest version.

Do you happen to know what the actual latest revision is? Is it v2.1? I think I saw some pictures of the version number silkscreened onto the PCB. That way I can ask a seller to check.

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #3,052 of 5,176
Here is where i got mine in May
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330454610560#ht_6491wt_897

They also picture the old version but the one i have beside me def has air vents lol. And they list the technical changes in the specs too.

I assume most retailers didn't bother updating a pic. You could always call/email to double check but i very much doubt Tam would be selling or can even get an old version.

Even if you were looking for it i would assume the old version would be getting hard to find nearly anywhere new. 

Can't open mine right now, but i assume from this ebay listing, you are right and current version is 2.1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrix-m-stage-Headphone-Amplifier-Amp-class-2011-new-/140587163079#ht_3039wt_648

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3,053 of 5,176
Thanks for your help. The problem with looking at feature lists is they aren't helpful if you don't know what the older version has, you have nothing to compare it to.

So yes, I see listings that say "New Interference Reduction" and I don't know if it's new from 1.0 to 2.0 or 2.0 to 2.1 etc. I also have no idea what "interference reduction" looks like if I were to inspect an amp. Hopefully, I end up with a newer version.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #3,054 of 5,176
No problem.

I'm 99% sure the latest version is the only one with side vents, but you better wait for one of the masters of the mstage to confirm that. I'm sure it was actually said in this thread already somewhere in the 204 pages.
I'm not searching lol, but if you use the 'search this thread' and type v2.1 side vents or something you might be lucky 

Edit: Well i found it anyways, post 2930 onwards on page 196..... 

So if it has vents, you have the latest :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #3,055 of 5,176
 You do realise that that article was written in 'August 21, 2010'  right? He was reviewing the version that was the latest out at the point of time. The vented one has only recently been released. The current version I think only updated the outer casing (vents) because of the heat the M-Stage produces, i've only read up a little about it but thats just my input. (Also my version before the current is completely fine without vents?)
Quote:
Look for side vents. Old version doesn't have em.

Although they seem to be reviewing the new version here, they have a pic of the old version with no side vents. http://www.headfonia.com/matrix-m-stage/

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #3,056 of 5,176
Is Tam Audio still in business?

I was nearly ready to buy an M-Stage, but now their eBay store and web site say they're "reorganizing" and will be back on 24 August (i.e., yesterday). While the amp isn't that expensive, I'd want a major discount before I'd buy if they're actually kaput.

Finally, what's the relationship between Tam and matrixelectronics.net? Matrix Electronics' web site claims they have 768 in stock.

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3,057 of 5,176
Quote:
 You do realise that that article was written in 'August 21, 2010'  right? He was reviewing the version that was the latest out at the point of time. The vented one has only recently been released. The current version I think only updated the outer casing (vents) because of the heat the M-Stage produces, i've only read up a little about it but thats just my input. (Also my version before the current is completely fine without vents?)

Yeah I do now. As you may have gathered from the evolution of the conversation I was learning too. Not that it mattered at all (except to you) or was worth editing as it was the pic without side vents I was trying to show 
Was just tryna help with the info i had and I was pretty sure only the very latest had the side vents. This was my first amp and that what i was told to look for too, just wanted to be sure it was also what was said here before passing it on. Not very often i know enough to give back to these forums so jumped at the chance to be able to help some else :)

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3,058 of 5,176
I would really like to know if anyone can compare the Schiit Asgard to the Matrix with Denon X000 phones. I think I saw one person who had the d7000's and posted impressions with both the Asgard and Matrix here and they said they just returned the Asgard.

I get the feeling they are both two different things, but Denon's are picky and the amp has to be just right. Plus it bothers me the Matrix is huge, heavy, and has seemingly more pieces to it than the Asgard. Already have the Asgard shipping here, i'm just very curious. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #3,060 of 5,176
Quote:
Thanks for your help. The problem with looking at feature lists is they aren't helpful if you don't know what the older version has, you have nothing to compare it to.

So yes, I see listings that say "New Interference Reduction" and I don't know if it's new from 1.0 to 2.0 or 2.0 to 2.1 etc. I also have no idea what "interference reduction" looks like if I were to inspect an amp. Hopefully, I end up with a newer version.

Usb version, bought in January:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back