Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 23, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #3,031 of 5,176
Just to add something to the discussion - after the cap shunting on the input, I changed the a-class biased LME49710 with a-class OPA627BP, because of the lack of warmth after the caps mod. The 627BP made the sound very pleasant to my (and others) ears, before the caps mod I preferred the 49710s. The amp runs hotter though, even with the side vents. Listening that way for several months now, I'm really pleased with the sound. Cheers, guys!

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #3,032 of 5,176
Quote:
Just to add something to the discussion - after the cap shunting on the input, I changed the a-class biased LME49710 with a-class OPA627BP, because of the lack of warmth after the caps mod. The 627BP made the sound very pleasant to my (and others) ears, before the caps mod I preferred the 49710s. The amp runs hotter though, even with the side vents. Listening that way for several months now, I'm really pleased with the sound. Cheers, guys!

Almost same here, just without the caps mod, I keept the OPA627BP... seems this is the natural OPAMP match for this amplifier. Now i'm experimenting with the AD823AN in the USB DAC output. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #3,033 of 5,176
Just wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on some issues i'm having....

I have the auzentech x-meridian 2g soundcard and have been having issues with it. I have been unable to get the included ASIO, or asio4all to work for more than a song or two no matter the settings (musicbee & foobar), and the card drivers are giving me regular bsod's. For a long time i have dealt with it assuming ram, overclock, or setup prob, but spent the last few days stress testing and learning how to read blue screens etc and finally can conclude it is the soundcard drivers causing the problems. Auzentech hasnt released any new drivers for this card since this time last year. 

I have just now finished a reformat and re-install, and unfortunately same issue. Cant find anything online of others having this issue though so not entirely sure where to turn. 

I about to try the onboard s/pdif but read this is usually a no-go and you know, with a rega dac, m-stage and k702's here, would be nice to be getting the best from it. + onboard doesnt support ASIO unless i'm missing something... 

I have emailed Auzentech but am assuming this is going to end in a biting the bullet and getting a new soundcard so was wondering what you guys are all using and what you would recommend? 

Its purely for music. Yes i game and watch movies, but music is 100% priority. Budget isnt really a concern within reason... I would be happy to pay around the price of the cans to get it solid and as future proof as possible. 

Thanks for any help :)

Jul 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #3,034 of 5,176
Quote:

The amp will not run hotter or colder if you swap Op Amps.

The heat comes from the discrete output stage and the power supply, and the power supply runs hot because the discrete output stage draws a lot of current.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #3,035 of 5,176
Quote:
Just wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on some issues i'm having....

I have the auzentech x-meridian 2g soundcard and have been having issues with it. I have been unable to get the included ASIO, or asio4all to work for more than a song or two no matter the settings (musicbee & foobar), and the card drivers are giving me regular bsod's. For a long time i have dealt with it assuming ram, overclock, or setup prob, but spent the last few days stress testing and learning how to read blue screens etc and finally can conclude it is the soundcard drivers causing the problems. Auzentech hasnt released any new drivers for this card since this time last year. 

I have just now finished a reformat and re-install, and unfortunately same issue. Cant find anything online of others having this issue though so not entirely sure where to turn. 

I about to try the onboard s/pdif but read this is usually a no-go and you know, with a rega dac, m-stage and k702's here, would be nice to be getting the best from it. + onboard doesnt support ASIO unless i'm missing something... 

I have emailed Auzentech but am assuming this is going to end in a biting the bullet and getting a new soundcard so was wondering what you guys are all using and what you would recommend? 

Its purely for music. Yes i game and watch movies, but music is 100% priority. Budget isnt really a concern within reason... I would be happy to pay around the price of the cans to get it solid and as future proof as possible. 

Thanks for any help :)

your rega dac has an isolated usb input - why not skip the auzentech completely (remove it) and go computer usb direct to rega?  if you still find that lacking, there's always various usb to s/pdif dongles like the jk hiface or halide bridge that you can try.

hth,

Jul 25, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #3,036 of 5,176
Yeah that's something I had forgotten about and a good idea thanks. But fingers crossed after a night of reading and hair pulling i may have solved it. Figured its me/my system as i'm struggling to find anyone else with the issue. 

I installed the drivers shortly after the windows install and i'm guessing either windows updates or another driver or program install messed something up. 

I did some reg cleaning and removed/reinstalled the meridian drivers, and other audio related drivers (tv card gpu) and am now onto a record 5th song in a row in ASIO. Fingers crossed it really was something so simple. Damn computers! 

Now as long as it doesn't die the second i click on 'submit' i'm good... 

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3,038 of 5,176
Geez, The MATRIX Mini-Portable DAC costs alot , $349.99? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATRIX-Mini-Portable-DAC-24bit-192KHz-Portable-Amplifier-Decoder-AMP-DAC-NEW-/110920167703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d35b7117

Where as the MATRIX MSTAGE DAC costs far less at $289.99, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matrix-M-stage-Decoder-PCM1792-Audio-DAC-NEW-Version-Decoder-/110937042130?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d45cecd2

Whats better the Matrix MSTAGE DAC or the Matrix Mini-I ? As I have always considered using the MINI-I as a DAC but seeing as they made a MSTAGE DAC now, that could be an option in the future..

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #3,039 of 5,176
I would love to try that portable.  Almost as low profile as my pimped out Minibox-E+, it appears.  The M-Stage DAC is a pure DAC, so it might be a little better.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #3,040 of 5,176
I did get mine from Tam Audio via Amazon and it does have the vents. I works very well with the AKG701s although I will have to say not so well with the Sennheisers. Apparently its all about impedance. I am very satisfied with my purchase.

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #3,042 of 5,176
Quote:
I did get mine from Tam Audio via Amazon and it does have the vents. I works very well with the AKG701s although I will have to say not so well with the Sennheisers. Apparently its all about impedance. I am very satisfied with my purchase.

What is the OPAMP that came with your m-stage? 2134 or the some of the class A biased opamps 627 or 637?

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #3,045 of 5,176
This looks like it could be based on the BCL/M-Stage design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back