Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Oct 13, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #1,083 of 5,176

Quote:
The package.  No big deal, it took all of 2 minutes to install. 

Anyway, the amp sounds terrific so far but it runs so hot that I worry how long it will last.  Even the volume knob is very warm to the touch.

That sounds not quite right. I have the V2 with the same class-a mod, and I never feel any warmth in the volume control. The only bits that get hot are the fets - the heatsinks on those are way too hot to touch. But the top of the case itself only ever gets fairly warm, and it never manages to heat the volume control.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #1,084 of 5,176
Nothing on the outside of the unit gets too hot to touch, but judging from the heat transfer through some fairly thick metal I really have to wonder what's going on inside temp wise. My headphone connector is even warmed up.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #1,085 of 5,176
Welcome to class A !   
devil_face.gif

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #1,086 of 5,176

My main cribbing is that vocals are a bit distant and i end up increasing the volume. Hence looking for a suitable mod to bring the vocals a bit forward.
Quote:
What's lacking? What would you like to improve?

Start experimenting with different plug-and-play opamps.

Oct 13, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #1,087 of 5,176

Quote:
I have the M-stage 2nd version and i use them with my K702. I am planning to mod the M-stage and wondering which mod will suit the K702. Can you guys suggest.

Don't know if its placebo or not but things seem to sound noticeably better with a biased opamp.  The Biased LM4562(mines is a lm49720) @ 3.3k is what I have in mine right now. 

This was without any real preconceptions as to how it would sound but I can't actually test it since I only own a single M-Stage.  It takes too much time to reliable swap opamps.

You could also start playing with equalizers to boost the vocal range.

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #1,088 of 5,176
Same, at first I was worried reading about the heat issues so I kept a careful eye on the amp, left it on overnight to burn it in when I felt confident enough and the next day it was still at best just warm to the touch.

Quote:
That sounds not quite right. I have the V2 with the same class-a mod, and I never feel any warmth in the volume control. The only bits that get hot are the fets - the heatsinks on those are way too hot to touch. But the top of the case itself only ever gets fairly warm, and it never manages to heat the volume control.

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #1,089 of 5,176
On mine, the entire unit gets warm, including the volume control knob. It's also warmer towards the front of the unit compared to the back. It doesn't get hot, though, at least through the casing.

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #1,090 of 5,176
I also recently purchased a Matrix M-Stage from coolfungadget. After the payment, I've never heard anything back from him regarding the shipping. So when I read some of the complaints here, I went ahead and emailed him. He responded to my email the next day and told me that the item had already been shipped and he's been very gracious and helpful in the whole process. The day after that email, he also provided the tracking number and I am hoping to get the amp by the end of this week. I am sorry some of you guys' experience has been different but I just wanted to say that he's answered all of my question and was very quick to ship... I'll add more info if something goes wrong along the way... 

Cheers

Edit: I made the purchase on the seventh, and this is how it's looking now

[size=medium]
bullet_circle.gif
[/size]
[size=medium]Inbound Into Customs[/size]
[size=medium]
bullet_circle.gif
[/size]
[size=medium]Inbound International Arrival, October 13, 2010, 1:26 pm, ISC SAN FRANCISCO (USPS)[/size]
[size=medium]
bullet_circle.gif
[/size]
[size=medium]Foreign International Dispatch, October 12, 2010, 2:12 am, SHANGHAI EMS, CHINA PEOPLES REP[/size]
[size=medium]
bullet_circle.gif
[/size]
[size=medium]Foreign Acceptance, October 11, 2010, 7:04 pm[/size]
[size=medium]
bullet_circle.gif
[/size]
[size=medium]Origin Post is Preparing Shipment[/size]

Oct 13, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #1,091 of 5,176
The case on mine doesn't get too hot (29°C), but the transistors with heatsinks reach about 50°C anyway and the buffer's caps reach about 53°C and the Nichicon KG caps go up to 47°C.  Leaving the amp uncovered didn't make a difference in those components' temperatures.
Should a better job of cooling that area be done?  Perhaps a kind of heatsink to transfer more of that heat to the case?

Another guy posted that he drilled holes in the case of the amp.  I think that might make a difference if you don't/can't keep the amp in a well ventilated spot.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #1,092 of 5,176
UPDATE:

Jtam just refunded all my money plus $50 :O ....! He talked to customs and they are having some issues to the point that Jeffrey can't believe them either. At one point they said 2 more days, then they said 10. He rufunded me the extra $50 for my trouble (I didn't suggest it even!) and wrote a very nice apologetic email to me explaining things in a very nice, professional manner. I just wanted to set things straight on here, and compliment him for going over the top to make things right! Thank you, Jeffrey! Crazy thing is, the Browndog adapter I ordered just last week from him arrived today lol! In the meantime, I placed a new order from hllyaudio for the same silver v.2 Matrix tonight. What are your guy's experience with their shipping so far, i.e. how long from your payment did it take to receive it (US order preferably)?

Thanks again Jeffrey (Jtam, coolfungadget etc)!

-Daniel

Oct 14, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #1,094 of 5,176
what a top bloke! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
UPDATE:

Jtam just refunded all my money plus $50 :O ....! He talked to customs and they are having some issues to the point that Jeffrey can't believe them either. At one point they said 2 more days, then they said 10. He rufunded me the extra $50 for my trouble (I didn't suggest it even!) and wrote a very nice apologetic email to me explaining things in a very nice, professional manner. I just wanted to set things straight on here, and compliment him for going over the top to make things right! Thank you, Jeffrey! Crazy thing is, the Browndog adapter I ordered just last week from him arrived today lol! In the meantime, I placed a new order from hllyaudio for the same silver v.2 Matrix tonight. What are your guy's experience with their shipping so far, i.e. how long from your payment did it take to receive it (US order preferably)?

-Daniel

Oct 14, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #1,095 of 5,176

Quote:
UPDATE:

-Daniel

the guy does all that for you and you order from someone else. IMO that was very wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back