Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Oct 3, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #979 of 5,176
Sorry to continue the redundant questions - but I just bought from Tam Audio the "Class A Mod for M-Stage" plus the Burr Brown OPA627AU on Brown Dog Adapter...

It appears I open, remove the stock Op Amp, plug in the Class A Mod and then plug onto that the OPA627...is that correct? No soldering or anything needed in this case? Thanks Head-fi-ers! 

Oct 3, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #980 of 5,176

Quote:
Sorry to continue the redundant questions - but I just bought from Tam Audio the "Class A Mod for M-Stage" plus the Burr Brown OPA627AU on Brown Dog Adapter...

It appears I open, remove the stock Op Amp, plug in the Class A Mod and then plug onto that the OPA627...is that correct? No soldering or anything needed in this case? Thanks Head-fi-ers! 

Its just plug and play, use needle nose pliers to remove the opamp already in there.  It'll make life easier on ya.   Besides that make sure to insert it the right way~ I don't know how it works when putting in 2x SOIC on a browndog if the same rules apply.  I am sure the adapter itself has the marking.

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #981 of 5,176
I find it easy with a small flathead screwdriver, lever up one side, then the other, ( a little bit at a time) - then pull it up evenly.

Make sure you don't twist/bend the pins in the process (this is assuming it is the DIP opamp itself)

Alternatively - get a socket for each opamp - they are a doddle to plug in and out, cost very little, and you are unlikely to bend/break the pins

Oct 4, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #982 of 5,176
Please be informed that the Matrix M-Stage famously works with Sennheiser HD598 headphones. The sound is close, strong and very uniform. Basses are more than wonderful!

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #983 of 5,176
I'm curious... what are the chances of the parts like caps, resistors or even the APLS pot being fake? I'm not saying that the Matrix M-Stage uses fake parts or everything that's made in China is fake. I'm just wondering how can one tell if the parts are the real deal.

Oct 4, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #984 of 5,176

Quote:

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Coolfungadget is now selling an OPA627 on an adaptor for cheap:

https://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80

Also the Class A mod:

https://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=77

I think it is very honorable for him to mention that it is an easy DIY project and to provide links to the guides, while also selling it at a modest price for those who prefer to go that route.

Looks like he has combined the two!

https://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=82

Oct 4, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #985 of 5,176
The combined mod is probably better for sound (fewer connections, shorter paths, less interference etc.)

BUT...

I am currently running with OPA637's plugged into the Class A Mod socket - and you can't do it with the complete combined adapter!

Not to mention the LME49860 and LTE1028's waiting to have their chance...

Oct 4, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #987 of 5,176
Been wanting to do this mod for a long time. Now with the $15 combo, it is a no brainer to try it out. Just purchased it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back