Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Dec 3, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #4,471 of 5,176
Matrix says the sond has improved, they call it smoother and sweeter. Not sure how they accomplished that but a likely candidate is a different stock opamp. That makes sense to me. I think one LED is for power on, the other maybe has to do with USB signal lock? Just guessing here.

To answer the question about Lake People G103 - G103 is a bit warmer and smoother than the old M- Stage was in stock form. It has way more power and is a better match for planar magnetics of all brands. Matrix could be a bit more resolving up top, depending on the opamp choice. Both very good options though.

It's actually warmer? Hmm.. i have an HD600 and i was looking for a neutral amp in the <$300 range. I heard that the M-Stage was a bit warm, which gave me pause. After reading your review of the Lake People G103, which said it gets "out of the way of the music", i was considering it, but it seems it would also be a warm amp. And now Matrix says the sound of the M-Stage is sweeter.... T_T

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #4,472 of 5,176
Matrix says the sond has improved, they call it smoother and sweeter. Not sure how they accomplished that but a likely candidate is a different stock opamp. That makes sense to me. ....maybe has to do with USB signal lock? Just guessing here.

Thanks for the info... Has anyone heard one yet?  Can you share your impression of the difference(s)?

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #4,473 of 5,176
  How does one go about buying a lake people product? Searched their site, searched ebay, nothing...

A search for 'Lake People G103 amplifier' returns both the web site....

http://www.lake-people.de/index.php?id=2&lang=eng&typ=3&nr=g103p

....and a few discussions / impressions, including this thread:

~~ Lake People G109 / G103 thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/620082/lake-people-g109-g103-thread

Seems to be the same folks that make the (widely respected - and much more expensive) Violectric V200. 

Hope that helps...

(Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with anyone :).

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #4,474 of 5,176

A search for 'Lake People G103 amplifier' returns both the web site....

http://www.lake-people.de/index.php?id=2&lang=eng&typ=3&nr=g103p

....and a few discussions / impressions, including this thread:

~~ Lake People G109 / G103 thread:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/620082/lake-people-g109-g103-thread

Seems to be the same folks that make the (widely respected - and much more expensive) Violectric V200. 

Hope that helps...

(Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with anyone :).

Ya i found those. Their site doesn't have a cart or anything. Maybe made to order. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #4,475 of 5,176
To answer the question about Lake People G103 - G103 is a bit warmer and smoother than the old M- Stage was in stock form. It has way more power and is a better match for planar magnetics of all brands. Matrix could be a bit more resolving up top, depending on the opamp choice. Both very good options though.

Any further comments on this? I'm intruiged. Would you call the G103 an upgrade or sidegrade?

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #4,476 of 5,176
To clarify - I have not yet heard the new M-Stage version. Maybe soon, if I can clear my schedule. But obviously I can't comment on the potential changes in sound until then. 

Regarding the Lake People G103 - I'd say it has a lot in common with the M-Stage actually. Both are mostly neutral and yet both lack the absolute top end extension of more expensive amps. To be honest, the comparison is tough due to the variability of M-Stage sound thanks to opamp rolling. Last time I compared the two, I don't even recall what opamp I was using. But the G103 came out on top by a decent margin. Could I swap opamps and get the M-Stage to win? Maybe. It also depends on the headphones used. G103 has a clear advantage with power hungry planars. The M-Stage is a lot closer if we use dynamics, and maybe even better with the HD800 due to that special synergy it seems to have. So yeah, G103 could be called an upgrade or a sidegrade depending on perspective.

The new distributor for Violectric in the USA happens to also be the Matrix distributor in this area. And he is working on getting the Lake People gear as well. Not sure on the time frame for those though. 

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #4,477 of 5,176
Thank you very much for the explanation. So for an HD600 the difference would not be that great? Or would the G103 be worth the difference and hassle mostly if one had a planar...

But anyways, thanks for your time!

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #4,478 of 5,176

Regarding the Lake People G103 - I'd say it has a lot in common with the M-Stage actually. Both are mostly neutral and yet both lack the absolute top end extension of more expensive amps. To be honest, the comparison is tough due to the variability of M-Stage sound thanks to opamp rolling. Last time I compared the two, I don't even recall what opamp I was using. But the G103 came out on top by a decent margin. Could I swap opamps and get the M-Stage to win? Maybe. It also depends on the headphones used. G103 has a clear advantage with power hungry planars. The M-Stage is a lot closer if we use dynamics, and maybe even better with the HD800 due to that special synergy it seems to have. So yeah, G103 could be called an upgrade or a sidegrade depending on perspective.

Thanks much for the information. I think I'll try get an in person listen first! 

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #4,482 of 5,176
http://www.head-fi.org/t/475618/matrix-m-stage-amp-review-simple-cheap-and-excellent/3855#post_9328816

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #4,484 of 5,176
I have an older the M-Stage and I've noticed some audio interference just when i touch the knob.  It goes away immediately after removing my grip, but I was wondering if there is something I can do to remofe that effect.

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #4,485 of 5,176
  I have an older the M-Stage and I've noticed some audio interference just when i touch the knob.  It goes away immediately after removing my grip, but I was wondering if there is something I can do to remofe that effect.

Is it grounded?
Don't cut the third pin off the AC cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back