Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Apr 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #107 of 5,176
Very interesting amp. Although I'm a DIY guy myself, this amp seems to be all I need for my office setup in a well built package.

Anyone has some idea about how it'd compare to DIY gear (of the M^3/CK²III level) or similarly priced headamps of DIY pedigree like the Sheer Audio HA-006+ (DynaLo)?

I'll be using it with my AKG 702s.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #109 of 5,176
M-stage has excellent drive with both low and high impedance headphones.

Quote:

Anyone has some idea about how it'd compare to DIY gear (of the M^3/CK²III level) or similarly priced headamps of DIY pedigree like the Sheer Audio HA-006+ (DynaLo)?

Having built and sold an M3 and CK²III some years ago, I can only compare them by memory. So take it with a grain of salt.
M-stage is more synergistic with K701 than I remember my old M3 to be. To my ears it feels more refined and smooth.
In technical aspects (detail, dynamics, soundstage, etc) I think they're similar.

C2KIII didn't pair as nice with K701 as it did with Sennheiser HD650.

Cannot say anything about Dynalo as I've never heard one. From what I've read seems like a very good amp and a worthy competitor.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #110 of 5,176
Thanks audiofil.
I think there is a consensus that the M^3 is better suited to the 701/702s than the CK²III. That's a pity because I think I like the CK²III (as a design, not to mention the onboard PSU!).
Anyway, thing is I like making my own gear but, seeing amps like the Matrix or the Sheer (and if indeed they perform on the same level), I can't help but wonder if it's really worth it (performance/cost -wise) to DIY. :/

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #111 of 5,176
I am this >< close to ordering one. In fact, if my favorite electronics shop can't offer me a HDP for ordering like uh tomorrow, I will order one
smily_headphones1.gif
. I will also be trying opamps
smily_headphones1.gif

If you enjoy making stuff (I don't) then by all means it should be worth doing it yourself. If not, decision is easy with great Asian products
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #112 of 5,176
Well - I pulled the trigger yesterday so am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new M-Stage. I was torn between the HA-006+ (Dynalo) and the M-Stage, eventually coming to the realization that both were probably great SS amps so there was really no wrong answer.

The more I read about the Lehman, the more I realized if the M-Stage has similar characteristics and design then I should be quite happy. The price is certainly right. I love (and will continue to love) my LD I+ as a really nice value entry-level hybrid/tube amp - and probably will someday upgrade to a Woo Audio 6 or something. For this - I really was looking for a nice Solid State compliment that will splendidly drive my favorite k701s and D2000s - so I am hoping this is the ticket to round out my setup for now.

Thanks to all those who commented and for the excellent original review - the thread really swayed me from the Dynalo which I was pretty set on until this week.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #113 of 5,176
Pulled the trigger today
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope the bloody vulcano does not delay shipping too long

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #114 of 5,176
Anyone in this thread that have tried it with denon d5000/d7000 and can give some advice whether this is a good upgrade over LD 1+?

Apr 23, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #116 of 5,176
Geir: I will try my D2000 on the M-Stage as soon as I get it
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #117 of 5,176
Ah, **** it, this is head-fi, anyone special to order it from, or is coolfungadget the man to go to? (already got my musiland there)

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #119 of 5,176
There seems to be another guy on ebay but coolfungadget is reliable and communication is good so I say for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back