Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Oct 19, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #1,156 of 5,176
WOOT! Mine arrived this morning. I chased down the mailman for it, haha. They needed my signature and just put a notice in my mailbox. I walked out and saw the truck there and the mailman a block away. After getting the package, I realized I had no 3.5mm to RCA cables. =(

Quick shipping: Ordered Monday night and got it a week later from jtam.

Borrowing my roommates just now...first impressions! I'm running it from a Hot Audio dac (very inexpensive), and its a surprisingly neutral amp. No emphasis on anything. Initially, I was really disappointed. "sounds almost the same....not worth the amount I paid...maybe I should have gotten the Matrix DAC instead..." Kept playing different tracks on my computer and then stopped at Fiona Apple's Extraordinary Machine. Wow!

What I did hear was a expansion of the soundstage and instrument separation. The clarity of her voice...stunning. Its very much obvious that the amp is extremely revealing. Tracks off of youtube HD (Franz Ferdinand) sound very close to before, but tracks off a cd (norah jones, dido's recent Stay at Home), show a much more dramatic improvement. My reference speakers are my dad's back home and I would say the HD650s + this amp are about 90% there. Sure, it doesn't have the kick of the 16hz range subwoofer, and the midrange richness of the floorstanding speakers. However my whole set up that cost the same as just the sub back home...can't complain! A comparison would be having a great pair of speakers and powering it with a $100 amp from best buy. Then you grab a Mcintosh and plug those speakers in and see how much more it can do. Not as dramatic as new speakers/headphones but a huge difference nonetheless.

Just as a reference of improvements: 1 is ipod earbuds. 4 are grado sr-60s. 6 are HD650 straight out of an ipod/computer. 6.5-7 is with the amp. 10 are speakers that I've heard that cost more than a Mercedes. There comes a point of where its pretty much listening to the speakers/headphones rather than the music. 

Minor complaint: I wish the power button was up in front, but meh, w/e. Casing is otherwise stunning. 

Letting it burn in while I study for my exam tomorrow. Will update as soon I get more hours on it + have more time. I have no other amp to reference, so my purchasing decision was based off of impressions on this thread. Thanks guys for your inputs. Very much happy with this amp! =)

Oct 19, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #1,157 of 5,176

Quote:
Thanks
While I am in there is there anything else I should check which could be causing this?

There could also be components that are not working right or are not soldered properly, I imagine.  I don't know, but in that case you would need to know how to solder.  If the opamp seems to be defective or something, I have a spare one of the same I can send you so you don't have to ship the whole amp back to China.

Oct 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #1,161 of 5,176
Im using the stock power cable, I don't really like how easily it pulls out but it makes a solid connection.  I might replace it with an extra computer cable I have laying around so it doesn't come off as easily. 

On my dac you can get it in so good, it takes actual elbow grease to get out once you stick it in.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #1,162 of 5,176
Well I contacted JTam and he gave me a tracking number, apparently my M-Stage arrived at Birmingham South sorting depot from Shanghai in the small hours of this morning and has now gone out for delivery, so I should get it today
smily_headphones1.gif
  7 days from China to the UK.

Looking forward to this.

Oct 20, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #1,164 of 5,176
Well I just got my unit, seems as advertised so far, I just listened to Black Sabbath's - Black Sabbath on it quickly, already an improvement on the headphone out of some Logitech Z10s I was using, however it seems a bit dry and light weight right now (the unit was very cold though), I reckon after it's warmed up properly it'll be much better and then as it burns in it should get better still I imagine. The unit is a bit smaller than I thought it actually, I knew it was narrow but it's lighter and shorter than I expected ...probably because I am used to full size speaker amps.

I did not get hit for import duty and VAT so it just cost me £175 and that was it
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #1,168 of 5,176
I've tried M-Stage before (about couple months ago), while I can remember how good its sound especially for midrange area, I just a bit forget about its treble section. If I have cans that produce aggresive treble (not harsh, just aggresive), is M-Stage suitable to make that treble a bit laidback (more relaxing)?

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #1,169 of 5,176
Treble is a bit harsh, not very aggressive.

Oct 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #1,170 of 5,176
Quote:
I did not get hit for import duty and VAT so it just cost me £175 and that was it
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope I'm as lucky as you when I eventually order mine. Need to get a bit richer first. Glad that shipping the the UK is just as fast as to the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back