Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #4,276 of 5,176

Chris J

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm always surprised that more folks don't bring up the noise rejection that balanced interconnects can provide you!

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #4,277 of 5,176

Makiah S

Formerly known as Mshenay
Sponsor: HeadAmp
Quote:
I'm always surprised that more folks don't bring up the noise rejection that balanced interconnects can provide you!

That too, either way... I'm gonng be pretty DAMN broke when I buy that thing so xD if any one has friends in need of a starting set up, my oDac and Matrix M will be up for sale for $320 for both, free shipping to US. It's going to be a little over a month before I get my Audio GD 10.32 but when I get it working I'll be selling my current dac and Amp! 

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #4,278 of 5,176

Remior

Head-Fier
This week has arrived to home a couple of things...

Now testing on LM4562NA on DAC secction and dual class A OPA627AP on Amp section. 

K701 pairy really awesome with the M Stage, I'm really impressed ¿who says this haven't bass? They even have quite punch...

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #4,279 of 5,176

Chodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:
This week has arrived to home a couple of things...

Now testing on LM4562NA on DAC secction and dual class A OPA627AP on Amp section. 

K701 pairy really awesome with the M Stage, I'm really impressed ¿who says this haven't bass? They even have quite punch...

The opamp upgrades made a big difference on my M Stage, so yes, I agree with you. I am frankly amazed at the sound of this amp for the price. It was good with the stock opamp but nothing like it sounds with the upgrade. I think you would have to go beyond $1000 to beat this amp. Exceptional value. Skylab got it right and he has not even heard the upgrade potential.

Aug 29, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #4,280 of 5,176

Makiah S

Formerly known as Mshenay
Sponsor: HeadAmp
Quote:
The opamp upgrades made a big difference on my M Stage, so yes, I agree with you. I am frankly amazed at the sound of this amp for the price. It was good with the stock opamp but nothing like it sounds with the upgrade. I think you would have to go beyond $1000 to beat this amp. Exceptional value. Skylab got it right and he has not even heard the upgrade potential.

makes me wonder how my [soon to be purchased] AUdio GD 10ES2 will compare... the Dac in the 10ES2 has the ESS Sabare ES9018 dac chip, which is the flag ship model [and a step above the ES9023 dac in my oDac] so I'm anxious to see how it compares to the matrix 

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #4,281 of 5,176

Chodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:
makes me wonder how my [soon to be purchased] AUdio GD 10ES2 will compare... the Dac in the 10ES2 has the ESS Sabare ES9018 dac chip, which is the flag ship model [and a step above the ES9023 dac in my oDac] so I'm anxious to see how it compares to the matrix 

Audio-gd products are a great value. I owned a C2.2 amp  and I went through the Audio-gd Earth and Moon discrete opamps. The amp had tremendous dynamics and bass that would really rock you. It went very low and very fast. I have heard other Audio-gd products and that seems to be their house sound although it varies some with each model. With that 10ES2 you are getting a quality dac and a usb interface built in for a very low price. If you like a very dynamic sound then I'm sure you will be happy. It won't be the neutral sound of my M Stage and it probably won't have the big soundstage I'm getting. When you go up to the higher line Audio-gd products you get the big soundstage with excellent low level resolution. Of course, your headphones have to be up to the task.

I just noticed you are using an Odac for your source so yea, the Audio-gd should be a good step up for you.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #4,282 of 5,176

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Just popping back into this ancient thread of mine with a bit of news for those who might be interested - Matrix USA has the M-Stage on sale for $234 for the entire month of September. The USB version is $261 (I'm rounding up on these). That's 10% off which is nothing to sneeze at considering the excellent service you get from Arthur at Matrix USA. 

For those prices, I think everyone should have an M-Stage laying around. Friends who hear your rig and say they'd love to have something nice like that but can't afford it? M-Stage with USB DAC, plus an HD600 or Q701 or HE400, should be doable for most anyone with a part time job. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #4,283 of 5,176

Chodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:
Just popping back into this ancient thread of mine with a bit of news for those who might be interested - Matrix USA has the M-Stage on sale for $234 for the entire month of October. The USB version is $261 (I'm rounding up on these). That's 10% off which is nothing to sneeze at considering the excellent service you get from Arthur at Matrix USA. 

For those prices, I think everyone should have an M-Stage laying around. Friends who hear your rig and say they'd love to have something nice like that but can't afford it? M-Stage with USB DAC, plus an HD600 or Q701 or HE400, should be doable for most anyone with a part time job. 

I ordered direct from Tam about two weeks ago and they gave me the 10% discount. So you can get it direct if you are outside the USA. Had it for a week and with an upgrade of the opamps (not from Tam) it sounds wonderful with my T1's (better than my tube amps). Remarkable sound and crazy value for the money it's a steal.

Sep 1, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #4,284 of 5,176

project86

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:
I ordered direct from Tam about two weeks ago and they gave me the 10% discount. So you can get it direct if you are outside the USA. Had it for a week and with an upgrade of the opamps (not from Tam) it sounds wonderful with my T1's (better than my tube amps). Remarkable sound and crazy value for the money it's a steal.

Thanks - yes, definitely order from the appropriate dealer for your area. Tam is great to deal with, as is Grant Fidelity who now covers distribution in Canada, and of course Arthur at Matrix USA. All good people to deal with based on my personal interactions with each of them. 

I fixed my above post - for some reason I put "October" instead of "September" for the sale pricing. No need to wait a month, M-Stage is on sale right now. Their RIP DAC/amp unit is also on sale, but I don't know much about that particular model. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #4,285 of 5,176

blueangel2323

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:
Thanks - yes, definitely order from the appropriate dealer for your area. Tam is great to deal with, as is Grant Fidelity who now covers distribution in Canada, and of course Arthur at Matrix USA. All good people to deal with based on my personal interactions with each of them. 

I fixed my above post - for some reason I put "October" instead of "September" for the sale pricing. No need to wait a month, M-Stage is on sale right now. Their RIP DAC/amp unit is also on sale, but I don't know much about that particular model. 

The Grant Fidelity website doesn't carry any Matrix products... are you thinking of Yulong? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread