Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro
Jun 20, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #346 of 520
Also, am I supposed to hear a big difference when switching between
Dither on/off
Jitter on/off
Async/sync

Can't seem to really hear an obvious difference...

No. Dither is an optimisation, jitter can be handy in non-USB transport that has jitter problems. As for async/sync some people dislike async, as long as sync is implemented well it is equally good.
These are recommended:

1. Jitter Reducer: OFF (unless having problems with your transport)
  2. SYNC
  3. Dither: ON
  4. Filter: MOD 3 which is sharp rolloff linear phase (unless you're in the minimum phase camp)
Imo these are really set and forget things. Jitter off, sync, dither on. Select a filter you like and done.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #347 of 520
No. Dither is an optimisation, jitter can be handy in non-USB transport that has jitter problems. As for async/sync some people dislike async, as long as sync is implemented well it is equally good.
These are recommended:

1. Jitter Reducer: OFF (unless having problems with your transport)
  2. SYNC
  3. Dither: ON
  4. Filter: MOD 3 (which issharp rolloff linear phase; unless you're in the minimum phase camp)
Imo these are really set and forget things. Jitter off, sync, dither on. Select a filter you like and done.

Thanks very much! That's some very welcome info.

Yes, I did prefer filter mod 3 the most.

On a side note, read the manual again and found that mqa is only available through USB input on the saber pro.

Jun 20, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #348 of 520
Sync with usb though is just switching between the usb crystek clocks, and the sabre crystek clock I believe.
I think dither can be set to off though if the software player is already using TPDF dithering, no need to do dithering twice but it doesn't hurt either...

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #349 of 520
Just share what i have experience for trying out using Matrix on my hifi system instead of my headphone system.
Recently, I tried it on my hifi system. Initially, i buy Matrix pro for my headphone set while intend to use my chord qutest on my hifi system since my hifi amplifier does not have balance input.

Initially, I was quite disappointed with Matrix. My chord qutest sounds much better than Matrix. I play around the setting but l also read articles on the setting and filters too so I tried those setting. Now my setting is

Dither On
Jitter Off
Async

I just couldn't get the sound like my qutest. Then i play around the filter mode. Finally, I found the filter that suit my hifi set. I use filter 7. This is what i notice from my hifi set for the filter.

Filter 1: more boomy bass
Filter 3: less boomy bass which i find more correct but fatigue.
Filter 4: less fatigue but still cannot get the sound like my qutest.
I then tried filter 7.

Wow! That is the sound that i am looking for! Now, it is more 3d, more wide and more depth. The bass and treble is balance! Finally! I almost so disappointed about it that i thought of selling it away for those few days of trying. Almost give up on trying.

Now, I compare with my qutest and notice the treble is better in terms of clearer which maybe due to blacker background. So i can hear the articulation more clear without having the strain my ear. Bass seems the same. But it is the treble that is more superior and overall also sounds better than qutest which I find worthy to buy Matrix.

I also tried to compare my sources. I always use Aries mini on my hifi system and i try using idap-6 for my headphone system. Aries mini has better synergy for my hifi system. idap-6 sound more bass but to me is too much bass. I try comparing using hdmi cable and usb cable for idap-6. The bass is still too much for me.

I also recently realized that power cord cable has an effect of the system while i do not think so previously. I upgrade all my power cable for my hifi system to wireworld after realizing it. That is what i have tried so far. Matrix pro is indeed a good dac.

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #352 of 520
Filter 7 is appodizing fast linear phase, so ADC ringing is removed/reduced, Miska developer of HQplayer also recommends using appodizing filters.

Do these PCM filters have any impact when inputting DSD from a PC-based player like HQ Player out to the DAC?

Jun 21, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #354 of 520
No. PCM filter does not affect DSD playing.
Thanks for a clear reply...I use HQ Player and actually prefer DAC to add as little processing as possible.

Jun 22, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #356 of 520
Interesting the review here of the DAC https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/matrix-x-sabre-pro/ recommends using dither on/ASYNC/jitter reducer on.

Hmm

Using Roon via USB with optimum settings (Wasapi, Exclusive Mode and no DSP) the X-Sabre Pro sounds tonally full yet very precise. In some setup combinations (only when playing PCM), some people might find it to be a little dry, but this can easily be ameliorated by switching on the Dither option. This makes for a nicely subtle smoothing effect that creates more fluid decays while providing seemingly higher resolution. I kept it on for the duration of my testing.

When switching off Jitter Reduction the bass seems to become a little bit more articulate which in itself is nice, but the midrange and treble also become a bit too forward and a little edgy this way, and so I would recommend always using the DAC with Jitter Reduction enabled, as I did for the rest of the review.

In USB, asynchronous is the magic word, and there are hardly any DACs that use synchronous USB, usually for good reason. The X-Sabre Pro, however, offers the user the option to choose. Switching from Asynchronous to Synchronous USB mode indeed seems to illustrate nicely why this mode is not used very often anymore. In this context, I found that all the musical aspects lost a little, while nothing was gained. This makes perfect sense but the setting is a nice option to have if only to prove that the X-Sabre Pro’s clock is more accurate, or at least works better in Async mode.

I think effect he attributes to each setting are greatly exaggerated or entirely in his head. Dither creates a 'smoothing effect that creates more fluid decays' ??? Really?

Jun 22, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #357 of 520
Hmm

Using Roon via USB with optimum settings (Wasapi, Exclusive Mode and no DSP) the X-Sabre Pro sounds tonally full yet very precise. In some setup combinations (only when playing PCM), some people might find it to be a little dry, but this can easily be ameliorated by switching on the Dither option. This makes for a nicely subtle smoothing effect that creates more fluid decays while providing seemingly higher resolution. I kept it on for the duration of my testing.

When switching off Jitter Reduction the bass seems to become a little bit more articulate which in itself is nice, but the midrange and treble also become a bit too forward and a little edgy this way, and so I would recommend always using the DAC with Jitter Reduction enabled, as I did for the rest of the review.

In USB, asynchronous is the magic word, and there are hardly any DACs that use synchronous USB, usually for good reason. The X-Sabre Pro, however, offers the user the option to choose. Switching from Asynchronous to Synchronous USB mode indeed seems to illustrate nicely why this mode is not used very often anymore. In this context, I found that all the musical aspects lost a little, while nothing was gained. This makes perfect sense but the setting is a nice option to have if only to prove that the X-Sabre Pro’s clock is more accurate, or at least works better in Async mode.

I think effect he attributes to each setting are greatly exaggerated or entirely in his head. Dither creates a 'smoothing effect that creates more fluid decays' ??? Really?
Dither could have a effect though if digital volume is used, it was said he reviewed the DAC with 3 different speaker setups so maybe he heard some slight differences but probably exaggerated yes.

Jun 22, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #358 of 520
i installed the windows driver for the Sabre Pro.
connected my laptop to the dac using the supplied USB type A to B cable.
opened Tidal app on laptop and played an album, which showed Master quality on the laptop.
however, the dac only shows PCM 44.1kHz, 24 bit. i dont get MQA showing on the dac.

am i missing something here?

*update

Nevermind! I just realized there is an additional settings tab on the tidal app to enable it..

The dac is showing up as decoding mqa just fine now.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #359 of 520
i installed the windows driver for the Sabre Pro.
connected my laptop to the dac using the supplied USB type A to B cable.
opened Tidal app on laptop and played an album, which showed Master quality on the laptop.
however, the dac only shows PCM 44.1kHz, 24 bit. i dont get MQA showing on the dac.

am i missing something here?

*update

Nevermind! I just realized there is an additional settings tab on the tidal app to enable it..

The dac is showing up as decoding mqa just fine now.
I don't really recommend to use MQA though the MQA filter is bad, and let's aliasing through which is bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back