qobuz
Unavailable:
iRadio
Spotify
Amazon Music HD
deezer
Napster
JUKE

When an app is started, there is a connection to the router and Matrix Element or the App and Matrix. Background: Does the app always have to run in the background or can it also be closed.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #92 of 193
Is there an update for the MA Remote App mobile device connected

Available:
Tidal
qobuz
Unavailable:
iRadio
Spotify
Amazon Music HD
deezer
Napster
JUKE

When an app is started, there is a connection to the router and Matrix Element or the App and Matrix. Background: Does the app always have to run in the background or can it also be closed.
You might be on the wrong thread. This is thread is for the mini-i 3 pro and I don't believe it supports the MA Remote App.

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #93 of 193
AB916494-2C0B-479A-8233-902F4DDEE0CC.jpeg

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #94 of 193
I have had the Matrix I Pro 3 for about a day and I can confirm that the headphone output is un-usable for low impedance, high efficient headphones. I tested with pair of T5p on both the 4.4mm and 1/4" and they sound awful. Which is a very different experience from others on the thread. But, I think I understand why.

The T5ps are low impedance at 32 Ohms and high-efficiency at 102 dB efficiency which means they need high current, but not high voltage. The Mini - I's headphone output provides lots of voltage but low current. For Dynamic driver headphones, normally lower impedance means high efficiency. But, that is not true for planars. They need both high current and high voltage. I recently watched a video from Abyss () where they suggest the AB-1266 (~50 ohms and 88 dbs) does ok with less current, if you give them enough voltage. So YMMV on different planars.

Fortunately, you don't have to spend thousands on a decent headphone amp for high efficiency / low impedance headphones. The bad news is the RCA outs on the Mini-I are not as good as the balanced output. The Mini is only using half of the amplification circuit for the single-ended outputs. So, you lose a lot of the sound stage going single ended. I am going to try and connect the 4.4mm output to a portable balanced amp and will report back.

From my understanding, the output stage of an amp is where they do things like create more current (lower the impedance), sum a balanced circuit for single-ended outputs, and add an analog volume pot (the Mini-I has digital volume). All of which is expensive to do well.

So, what keeps the cost down on the Mini-I is the lack of a high quality output stage. That is fine if you're using it with the right headphones or as a power supply/streamer/DAC. All of which are high quality. You can also use it as a pre-amp if you are ok with ESS' implementation of digital volume control. IMHO, I think it's actually better than the analog pots found on most mid-fi equipment.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #95 of 193
Adding to my above post the Mini I Pro3 is a ridiculously good Steamer/DAC/Pre-Amp combo, particularly for Roon users. Roon recommends playing music from a device other than the core. I have used a Microrendu in the past and could hear the difference (made a Mojo sound like a Qutest). I was concerned that sharing a power supply might reduce the benefit, but it does not. This is an amazing value for a 2-channel system. It's like a Bluesound Node 2i that actually sounds good.

Feb 26, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #97 of 193
I can confirm that you really don't want to use the RCA outputs for an external headphone amp. I picked up an XLR switcher and some XLR to RCA adapters to go to my new WHAMMY Amp. The XLR outs are far more open and detailed than the RCA.

Feb 28, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #98 of 193
I’m using this paired with a Violectric V280 via XLR and it’s been great. Also used the RCA out to a Liquid Platinum, and that was fine. Even using the balanced 4.4mm headphone out I haven’t experienced a noticeably inferior sound or distortion. My headphones are HIFIMAN Arya, He6seV2, Focal Clear, and HD600. I have another amp on the way (Singxer SA-1) so perhaps my opinion can still change, but so far it’s been great with what I have. I don’t have any low impedance dynamics other than the Clear to try though.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #99 of 193
I’m using this paired with a Violectric V280 via XLR and it’s been great. Also used the RCA out to a Liquid Platinum, and that was fine. Even using the balanced 4.4mm headphone out I haven’t experienced a noticeably inferior sound or distortion. My headphones are HIFIMAN Arya, He6seV2, Focal Clear, and HD600. I have another amp on the way (Singxer SA-1) so perhaps my opinion can still change, but so far it’s been great with what I have. I don’t have any low impedance dynamics other than the Clear to try though.
I am still learning the WHAMMY, but so far it is a fairly source picky amp. It uses op-amps for the gain and then fully class A for the output stage, so it's fairly clinical. I have had the GS-X Mini in the past which is also a balanced class A and I could feed it anything at it sounded good.

I am not suggesting the single-ended outputs are unusable. I think the value proposition for the I-Mini is that its a good power supply, a low noise source when streaming, a very good DAC, and a very good dual-mono line amplifier with a good digital volume implementation.

What is missing is the output stage (line amplification provides the volts and output stage provides the amps). I think one could "get away" with only spending a couple/three hundred on an external headphone amp (i.e., Topping L30/A30 or a WHAMMY if you DIY) as long as its feed from the balanced outputs, even if the amp itself is single-end.

Of course, I could be completely fully of Sh!te and spending too much time watching YouTube reviews.

Would love to hear how the Singxer SA-1 sounds.

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #100 of 193
I have Flux FA-12 inbound so, Ill come in and leave some impressions on the differences.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #103 of 193
so
Excited to hear what you think. I’m running it into a Bryston, and it is superb.
Yeah, I wanted something a little more robust. The built in amp is pretty good. But from what I have read regarding the Flux amps. This should be a nice step up, fairly affordable for a boutique amplifier products. Plus I really wanted a fully balanced setup.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #104 of 193
I have been using the Flux FA-12 now for around 3 to 4 weeks with my Matrix audio mini pro 3. A much better experience than the built in amp, I get more meat and heft on the low end. And the mid range and treble are wonderfully rendered.
The Flux has provided me everything to a greater degree, with a sense of weight around each note and that was exactly what I was hoping for. A great sense of the body to the music especially at lower volumes. i’am extremely happy with the dac section and the streaming through Roon is fantastic too.

Mar 29, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #105 of 193
I can confirm that amp side of mini-I Pro 3 isn't a good choice. With my Ultrasone 5 unlimited edition (32ohm, 96db) sounds poor (I have to turn the knob at 0db but the sound is deflated). I purchased a Topping A90 and connected via 2xlr 2xlr. Mini it's a very good dac, streamer and preamp but not a good headset amp. I use it with Roon via ethernet streaming but, however, the lack of dlna is inexplicable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back