Matrix Audio Mini-i 3 and Mini-i Pro3 DAC
Feb 20, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #76 of 193
It will have the lasted, I purchased from power holdings and came direct from China with latest firmware.
Most excellent! The Pro should arrive the middle of next week and I can’t wait. Using it with the Empyrean HP to stream Roon. It checks of most of the boxes with what I have been searching for in being able to stream Roon to my headphones. Hoping the setting up is not too complicated with a Mac.

Feb 20, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #77 of 193
It is not complicated at all, the most difficult part of the setup is adding the password for your network/ Wifi because of the clumsy way its done using the knob to rotate through letters.
The rest is easy and you'll be in music bliss in no time.

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #78 of 193
It is not complicated at all, the most difficult part of the setup is adding the password for your network/ Wifi because of the clumsy way its done using the knob to rotate through letters.
The waiting is the hardest part. It should arrive on Wednesday from Apos in China. With Roon I control what I listen to through the app on my phone, including volume control. Is the remote that comes with the Pro necessary and what does it control?

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #79 of 193
It controls basic functions I don’t use it. I use Roon.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #81 of 193

My Matrix arrived this morning. It was remarkably quick to setup with Roon. Haven’t had much time to really listen beyond a song or two but paired with my Empyrean headphones the music is wonderful! Can’t wait until I have some quality time with the Matrix this evening. Haven’t explored what all of the settings are……all in time.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #82 of 193
no DLNA with the pro3? How do you control the NAS :thinking:
So that’s a issue for sure. It’s a streamer if your using Apple airplay or as a Roon endpoint but I don’t think you have any option as a streamer if you are not using those methods. So it’s more like a yes and no that this is a streamer depending on what you have to work with. Really is a shame wished they did add in some more flexibility for sure.

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #83 of 193
airplay is not high res. you cannot actually stream local data natively, neither via usb nor via nas, but only have to use commercial offers. a shame, a visually beautiful device. then you have to reach for the ELEMENT :L3000:

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #84 of 193
So I setup the Matrix Pro to stream Roon with wifi. It has been playing fine for the past hour and suddenly it stopped in the middle of a song and started jumping around to different songs on the file. This happened on several files that I was trying to play from LoRez, to Hirez to DSD. I disconnected from WiFi and reconnected and all was fine for about 10 min and then it started acting up again. What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions? I have to get back to work now but will be trying to listen again later this evening so any help would be appreciated! Thanks much.

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #85 of 193
Honestly, since initial setup I haven’t had an issue with Roon. using WiFi or direct connection to nic?

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #86 of 193
So I setup the Matrix Pro to stream Roon with wifi. It has been playing fine for the past hour and suddenly it stopped in the middle of a song and started jumping around to different songs on the file. This happened on several files that I was trying to play from LoRez, to Hirez to DSD. I disconnected from WiFi and reconnected and all was fine for about 10 min and then it started acting up again. What am I doing wrong here? Any suggestions? I have to get back to work now but will be trying to listen again later this evening so any help would be appreciated! Thanks much.
I would try going into settings and update the firmware. I know when I updated to Roon 1.8 there was a warning that I also had to update the version on all the devices.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #87 of 193
I did check for any fireware updates but mine is up to date. I am using WiFi as I am on a different floor from my router. I connect to Roon which is connected to my Synology NAS where my music is stored and available at all times. All I did for setup was go to ‘Network’ connect with my wifi with the password and then went to ‘Streaming’. Roon app on my phone and iPad both showed the Matrix as an option and once connected I had music. Then it stopped, skips from song to song while attempting to listen or just stops. Is there any step I missed in setup or any other fixes anyone knows of?

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #88 of 193
I did check for any fireware updates but mine is up to date. I am using WiFi as I am on a different floor from my router. I connect to Roon which is connected to my Synology NAS where my music is stored and available at all times. All I did for setup was go to ‘Network’ connect with my wifi with the password and then went to ‘Streaming’. Roon app on my phone and iPad both showed the Matrix as an option and once connected I had music. Then it stopped, skips from song to song while attempting to listen or just stops. Is there any step I missed in setup or any other fixes anyone knows of?
I have literally had my unit for about 2 hours but it sounds like a software issue. I have had similar issues with Roon in the past and was always able to fix it by quitting my Roon server and restarting. Because Roon just had a big upgrade, you should also check to make sure all devices are upgraded to the latest version. And if that doesn't work head over to the Roon forum as there are a list of bugs in 1.8 (https://community.roonlabs.com). Hope that helps.

Feb 23, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #89 of 193
The message on the Matrix when it skips a song is ‘the audio file is loading slowly. This may be a hardware of software problem”. I have reset the Matrix to factory setting, reset Roon (all of my devices are the latest Roon updates) and thought it was working ok only to have it start skipping around again after just a few minutes. This is not good! Any further suggestions? Has anyone else had this happen?

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #90 of 193
For now it seems to be working fine. I reset the Matrix again and connected with wifi, disconnected and reconnected Roon to wifi and plugged the Matrix into a different electrical socket. Not sure what did it but all is good for now…..knock on wood. Thanks for the help and suggestions. Enjoying the music again and it is pure delight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back