Timbre
Tonal Richness
Soundstage
Resolution
OLED Screen
Remote Control
Build Quality
User Friendliness

Congratulations on your excellent purchase.

I really appreciated your enthusiastic and careful considerations.

Personally, I listen quite little with headphones and surely much more in the audio setup with the loudspeakers, where together with the "Timbric", the "Dynamics" and the "Prat", for me is fundamental the sound-stage able to express depth of the acoustic scene and scenic realism of instruments and vocal interpreters.

Compared with the other DACs and with the RME ADI2 that I have glimpsed in the picture of a previous post of yours, what can you tell me about the parameter of the sound-stage of the Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro?

Thank you in advance for your kind attention.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #18 of 193
Congratulations on your excellent purchase.
I really appreciated your enthusiastic and careful considerations.
Personally, I listen quite little with headphones and surely much more in the audio setup with the loudspeakers, where together with the "Timbric", the "Dynamics" and the "Prat", for me is fundamental the sound-stage able to express depth of the acoustic scene and scenic realism of instruments and vocal interpreters.
Compared with the other DACs and with the RME ADI2 that I have glimpsed in the picture of a previous post of yours, what can you tell me about the parameter of the sound-stage of the Matrix Mini-i 3 Pro?
Thank you in advance for your kind attention.

As compared to the soundstage of the :

Headroom Max
Oppo Blu-Ray BDP-83 SE
RME Adi 2 Dac FS
Marantz CD -1
Woo Audio Fireflies (1st version)
Cavalli Tube Hybred (Drop)
FiiO BTR5

Overall, as i compared the sound of those vs the Matrix mini 13, using :

Drop Panda
Senn HD800S
Focal Elex
Master & Dynamic MH40
Montblanc MB01
Senn HD700
HIfiman Sundara
HarmonicDyne Zeus

I discovered that the exceptional SQ of the Matrix has a more saturated harmonic tonal complexity than found regarding any on that List, including the Tube amp(s).
The RME sounds closest to the Matrix, but it can't match it for lush or wide or beautiful.
The Matrix reveals a unique "Class A" lushness = it's tonal presentation that is added warmth, sparkle, and presence.

Specifically Regarding the SStage.......the Matrix produces an effortless presentation that offers a mild 3D experience, so, the Sound stage appears to your ears as wide and deep and lovely.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #19 of 193
Is it better than Element line?
I mean Element I or M...

Jan 12, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #21 of 193

Headroom Max
Oppo Blu-Ray BDP-83 SE
RME Adi 2 Dac FS
Marantz CD -1
FiiO BTR5

Drop Panda
Senn HD800S
Focal Elex
Master & Dynamic MH40
Montblanc MB01
Senn HD700
HIfiman Sundara
HarmonicDyne Zeus

I discovered that the exceptional SQ of the Matrix has a more saturated harmonic tonal complexity than found regarding any on that List, including the Tube amp(s).
The RME sounds closest to the Matrix, but it can't match it for lush or wide or beautiful.
The Matrix reveals a unique "Class A" lushness = it's tonal presentation that is added warmth, sparkle, and presence.

Specifically Regarding the SStage.......the Matrix produces an effortless presentation that offers a mild 3D experience, so, the Sound stage appears to your ears as wide and deep and lovely.

Thank you for the precise and interesting considerations.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #22 of 193
So I just picked this unit up, planning to connect it via wifi from my home office to my Roon Nucleus which is in my main rig in the loungeroom.

Connecting to wifi was very easy. The unit looks great and initial sound impressions are not bad at all (less than one hour in and listening over Bluetooth).

HOWEVER, when I go to set it up in Roon, the Roon console can see it but it is marked as not certified, when I click to Enable it it presents a pop up saying that there is a problem with the device, and that the problem is that it is not certified and that the manufacturer has not yet completed certification for this device and to contact the manufacturer re a status update (which I will do).

1. Why does the unit have a sticker on it that says Roon Ready (it is obviously not Roon Ready????). The picture of the device on the website shows the device on a table and screen states 'Streaming' with 'Roon' as the source, and an image of a Taylor Swift album (no I will not be using the device for Taylor Swift lol). This is either false marketing or suggests that the device can be a Roon endpoint currently.

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/489.html

2. Does anyone know how I can make the Matrix mini i-pro 3 MQA a Roon endpoint currently?

thanks,
Matt

Jan 14, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #23 of 193
Did some more reading on various sites and currently it is just not Roon certified and cannot be used as an actual roon endpoint, have to push from the phone via airplay. not the same. I believe Matrix are trying very hard to get the device certified though.

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #24 of 193
Really disappointing that its labeled as Roon ready, but isnt really. I understand that the Roon certification is in the works, but still it should marked very clearly that this is future feature, not marketed as a current feature.

I am interested in this dac/amp because its the only all-in-one wireless Roon endpoint I can find. But until Matrix can confirm that it is Roon certified and can be used as a wireless endpoint, I am going to have to hold off buying it.

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #25 of 193
So I just picked this unit up, planning to connect it via wifi from my home office to my Roon Nucleus which is in my main rig in the loungeroom.

Connecting to wifi was very easy. The unit looks great and initial sound impressions are not bad at all (less than one hour in and listening over Bluetooth).

HOWEVER, when I go to set it up in Roon, the Roon console can see it but it is marked as not certified, when I click to Enable it it presents a pop up saying that there is a problem with the device, and that the problem is that it is not certified and that the manufacturer has not yet completed certification for this device and to contact the manufacturer re a status update (which I will do).

1. Why does the unit have a sticker on it that says Roon Ready (it is obviously not Roon Ready????). The picture of the device on the website shows the device on a table and screen states 'Streaming' with 'Roon' as the source, and an image of a Taylor Swift album (no I will not be using the device for Taylor Swift lol). This is either false marketing or suggests that the device can be a Roon endpoint currently.

https://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/489.html

2. Does anyone know how I can make the Matrix mini i-pro 3 MQA a Roon endpoint currently?

thanks,
Matt

Sorry to hear about this Matt.
I only use mine for the Headphones out, and the line imput.

I purchased mine from APOS Audio, and if they dont state the device is not Roon Ready..........well...they should.
Hopefully Roon readiness will be right around the corner.

Jan 21, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #26 of 193
Matrix have announced its now passed Roon certification, so likely will be Roon ready with next firmware upgrade I guess. Won't be long now.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #27 of 193
Matrix have announced its now passed Roon certification, so likely will be Roon ready with next firmware upgrade I guess. Won't be long now.

On their forum Matrix said once Roon updates their servers, then the mini-i Pro 3 should show as Roon compatible. Additionally, looks like a new firmware will be pushed this coming Wed, 27 Jan.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #28 of 193
The firmware was recently released. It is now Roon ready.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #29 of 193

Headroom Max
Oppo Blu-Ray BDP-83 SE
RME Adi 2 Dac FS
Marantz CD -1
FiiO BTR5

Drop Panda
Senn HD800S
Focal Elex
Master & Dynamic MH40
Montblanc MB01
Senn HD700
HIfiman Sundara
HarmonicDyne Zeus

How would you rate the balanced out compared to LP and W7 firefly I have both those amps currently both with warmer upgraded tubes and a cap mod on the LP looking for the warmth of woo and detail and dynamics of LP currently running Arya and Stellia My dac is a node 2i.
thanks.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #30 of 193
How would you rate the balanced out compared to LP and W7 firefly I have both those amps currently both with warmer upgraded tubes and a cap mod on the LP looking for the warmth of woo and detail and dynamics of LP currently running Arya and Stellia My dac is a node 2i.
thanks.

The Matrix Trademark is transparency.
Its going to let your source and your headphones decide how the music sounds.
Now, by "transparent" i dont mean lean sounding, as that suggests lacking bass or low end detail.
Transparent means : Straight Wire.

Sometimes you read,..
"well, the headphones have a lean sound"..
No they dont, they have a reduced or "cut" low mid...:)
(see the Senn HD560S for an update).

Everything affects everything else in your life..... and regarding SQ, its the same situation regarding the chain of sound.
For example, whatever is lacking in a Headphone's FR causes the rest to sound exaggerated.
So, "neutral" is "real"....and anything else is " sounds like something is not right".
The good news is, most people like what isn't neutral, and that sound is easier to create.
Getting the Treble right, is the hard part for a sound designer, but getting the Midrange right is where the Sonic Gold lives.

Another Example.: Speakers sound like : the room that is their speaker box.
Think about that...

The Matrix is designed by the designer to give you transparency.
There is a reviewer online who stated that the i-3 has a "hint of warmth"..which is really just their way of saying its not "cold" or "sterile".
That'll work.......but that hint is a hint, as the gear is very transparent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back