Matrix Audio Element Series Thread
Jul 1, 2019 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 214

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
I'm surprised no one has made a thread for these yet.

All three models are Roon Ready and support AirPlay, DLNA, and MQA audio.

matrix-element-series.jpg

The Element X is their flagship model with the ESS9038PRO DAC chip:
https://matrix-digi.com/en/products/321.html

Element P has an integrated class D amp for speakers:
https://matrix-digi.com/en/products/320.html

And the Element M is the baby Element X, with a ESS9028PRO DAC chip:
https://matrix-digi.com/en/products/398.html

Post impressions below, I have the Element M and it is a superb device, the MA Audio app is great for controlling the device too.

Jul 16, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 214
Oct 5, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 214
I purchased the Element X for my LCD-4s and was skeptical given the minimal reviews of the product. Now that I have been using it, holy cow. The element X has to be one of the best if not the best all in one solutions out there. I have heard multiple TOTL pieces of source equipment and even some middle of the road equipment and this is one of the best. The feature set is everything you could want. I may integrate this into my 2 channel system or buy another. Works great as a roon end point. My only criticism is they need to finish the iOS app and that really isn’t a big deal. My wife even puts on the LCD-4s from time to time and she doesn’t have a strong interest in high end audio. If anyone has questions or is reluctant feel free to send me a message. I am always skeptical about ordering a product I have no experience with but I couldn’t imagine a solution I would be happier with than the X.

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 214
I purchased the Element X for my LCD-4s and was skeptical given the minimal reviews of the product. Now that I have been using it, holy cow. The element X has to be one of the best if not the best all in one solutions out there. I have heard multiple TOTL pieces of source equipment and even some middle of the road equipment and this is one of the best. The feature set is everything you could want. I may integrate this into my 2 channel system or buy another. Works great as a roon end point. My only criticism is they need to finish the iOS app and that really isn’t a big deal. My wife even puts on the LCD-4s from time to time and she doesn’t have a strong interest in high end audio. If anyone has questions or is reluctant feel free to send me a message. I am always skeptical about ordering a product I have no experience with but I couldn’t imagine a solution I would be happier with than the X.

Which other sources have you had in the past to compare it to?

Oct 5, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 214
Yggdrasil/Ragnarok was the latest. In the past I have heard the Moon 430HA, Oppo HA-1, Bryston BHA-1 ( I forget the DAC we were using), McIntosh MHA-150, and some of the more entry level stuff was the Schiit Modi multi bit with a channel island amp. Also use a chord mojo for portable listening but not a very fair comparison. Not saying the Element X is "better" than the equipment listed above because they weren't compared side by side and certainly not blind just my subjective opinion. I was looking for a solution that had all of the features I wanted in one box and think I found it. I get to audition the DCS Bartok next month and look forward to it but certainly not in the same price range.

Jan 20, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 214
Does the Element M support Spotify and Qobuz?

I am considering it as an all-in-one change from my Hugo 2 where I can use it as a conventional DAC/amp from my desktop PC (gaming, YouTube etc) as well as a more direct-to-source device utilising its streaming capabilities for listening sessions but am conscious it may not be as convenient as I think.

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #14 of 214
Does the Element M support Spotify and Qobuz?

I am considering it as an all-in-one change from my Hugo 2 where I can use it as a conventional DAC/amp from my desktop PC (gaming, YouTube etc) as well as a more direct-to-source device utilising its streaming capabilities for listening sessions but am conscious it may not be as convenient as I think.

Only Tidal at the moment, but Qobuz and Spotify are going to be implemented soon I believe

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #15 of 214
Only Tidal at the moment, but Qobuz and Spotify are going to be implemented soon I believe

Qobuz via Roon works, right?

Does anybody have any thoughts on the M vs. the i? Looking at the specifications, I'm not clear (from a pure performance point of view) where the extra £600-700 is going save for an in-built power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back